Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which ghetto would you live in?
Los Angeles 106 20.66%
Oakland 37 7.21%
Houston 43 8.38%
Chicago 51 9.94%
Atlanta 35 6.82%
Miami 46 8.97%
Philadelphia 48 9.36%
Cleveland 12 2.34%
Baltimore 23 4.48%
Washington, D.C. 30 5.85%
NYC 140 27.29%
Buffalo 36 7.02%
Detroit 21 4.09%
St. Louis 14 2.73%
New Orleans 30 5.85%
El Paso 42 8.19%
Other-(Must be bad. Not like Seattle or Portland or similar.) 46 8.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:16 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times

Advertisements

Yeah people think the Bronx is bad......I wouldn't be caught dead in Northern Brooklyn.....Bed-Stuy, Brownsville, Bushwick, East NY......East NY is the perennial homicide capital of the city and has been for quite some time. Not only are there a gazillion projects but the mostly black residents dont waste any time in bustin a cap in your ***.

And Future, East Harlem along with Bed-Stuy had the highest crime rates last year. So it is one of NYC most dangerous hoods. What do you expect from a neighborhood that is all projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 03:51 PM

43 posts, read 227,899 times
I picked Chicago. That way I could hang out with Florida, Malona, J.J., Bookman, Penny, and Thelma.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:58 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yeah people think the Bronx is bad......I wouldn't be caught dead in Northern Brooklyn.....Bed-Stuy, Brownsville, Bushwick, East NY......East NY is the perennial homicide capital of the city and has been for quite some time. Not only are there a gazillion projects but the mostly black residents dont waste any time in bustin a cap in your ***.

And Future, East Harlem along with Bed-Stuy had the highest crime rates last year. So it is one of NYC most dangerous hoods. What do you expect from a neighborhood that is all projects.
I was thinking all of Harlem, but I also never knew East Harlem was even one of the wors either. That new Google Maps "Street View" feauture is actually pretty cool to see some higher crime neighborhoods without actually going through them.

But Brooklyn North is horrible. The crime rate is still rapidly increasing! 64% rise in just two years. Even the rappers havebad luck here. 50 Cent was shot 9 times, Fabolous was shot in a Brooklyn parking garage, Tupac was shot numoerous times, and The Game's best friend was was shot outside Hot 97 in Harlem.

Last edited by Futcha; 03-25-2008 at 04:27 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 04:59 PM

Yeah and as a result the NYPD has sent 1/3rd of the new class of officers on patrol in those areas. They contained homicides for the first two months but in Brooklyn fashion, March has seen every other murder in Brooklyn. No matter how many cops you put there, Brooklyn will always be ****.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:30 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times
i would live in the washington heights section of NYC becausse it is close to my home in jerz and

The rooms are incredibly large and the prices are affordable

Plus all the shops, laundry, subway, great food are all nearby since Wash Heights is a pretty narrow strip

I especially like the area down south of Columbia Presbyterian like the 160's and 150's on broadway

There one will find affordable living so they can save their hard earned cash, and all the conveniences of the more "trendy " areas like great food, transportation, laundry

If I was gonna be poor or a young working professional just starting out and want to work my way up this is definitely the place because of affordability, VALUE, close to downtown and midtown, and I CAN SAVE MY MONEY

Old 03-25-2008, 05:35 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN77008 View Post
I picked Chicago. That way I could hang out with Florida, Malona, J.J., Bookman, Penny, and Thelma.
lololol now you are thinking. I'm pretty sure they moved on up though, except I bet JJ still hangs out in the ghetto sometimes.

Maybe I'd pick New York and start a dance troupe in an abandoned warehouse. No one will beleive in us but then we will get our big break and I will buy a new leotard for every day of the year!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Wow. I didn't know NYC was that bad. I knew it was bad though and I would rather live in Compton, or almost any third world country for that matter, over an NYC ghetto. I thought Brooklyn had been getting better? Or was that only a certain area or only for a little bit?

I don't know NYC that well, but I saw this thread in Skyscrapercity.com about South Bronx, and it looked horrible. People actually gave stories of what happened to them. Then there is another one called "Brutal New York" and this man did a story in South Bronx and I almost cried reading how sad these stories were and how horribly people lived. It was done in the 70's or 80's when there was the crack epidemic, but I read somewhere that South Bronx hasn't gotten much better.

I know East Harlem is bad, and same with some other areas of northern Manhattan, and if North Brooklyn is that bad, and I can't even imagine it.

And FC, you're right about crime rates dropping in Compton. I read an LA Times article that said violent crime in South Central neighborhoods has dropped over 50% in the past couple years, while gang crimes have risen only slightly. However, it seems as though those troublemakers are moving to the Bay Area and into the Inland Empire. In the IE, crime rose a little bit, but the Bay Area's crime keeps going up and up and the Times says it's because LA cops are using more advanced technology that Bay Area PD's don't want to use for some reason.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Wow. I didn't know NYC was that bad. I knew it was bad though and I would rather live in Compton, or almost any third world country for that matter, over an NYC ghetto. I thought Brooklyn had been getting better? Or was that only a certain area or only for a little bit?
North Brooklyn has been getting worse. East NY alone recorded 33 (?) homicides last year. Things are so bad that the NYPD has numerous operations currently in place. Besides 1/3rd of the new cops now deployed on Brooklyn streets, NYPD has Operation Trident, Operation Impact, and Operation Crown currently in place just to contain those hellacious neighborhood.

When you hear of NYC getting better it's almost always compared to the early 1990's. But if you take a look from 2000-present, crime has fluctuated but has increased in Brooklyn and the Bronx. The only reason you hear more about the Bronx than you hear about Brooklyn is that MORE of the Bronx is a ghetto. Over 70% of the borough is high crime. On the other hand, Brooklyn south is as safe as any place in America. But I venture to say (though some disagree) that the worst of Brooklyn is worse than the worst of the Bronx(though they are similar in crime). It's just to me that Brooklyn has a more scary and dangerous vibe to it.

Quote:
I don't know NYC that well, but I saw this thread in Skyscrapercity.com about South Bronx, and it looked horrible. People actually gave stories of what happened to them. Then there is another one called "Brutal New York" and this man did a story in South Bronx and I almost cried reading how sad these stories were and how horribly people lived. It was done in the 70's or 80's when there was the crack epidemic, but I read somewhere that South Bronx hasn't gotten much better.

I know East Harlem is bad, and same with some other areas of northern Manhattan, and if North Brooklyn is that bad, and I can't even imagine it.
The Bronx at it's worst was unimaginable hell. People would know in advance that their building was goin to burn, desperate to save the building they would run to a police officer. The officer would answer "Sorry M'am, I cant do nothing about it. Get your stuff and go now." Next morning the building would be rubble. During the late 1970's, the Bronx averaged 33 fires a night. Entire neighborhoods were just a wasteland of rubble. President Carter visited Charlotte Street in 1977, and declared the south Bronx the worst neighborhood in the country. Still today you see many boarded up buildings. The Bronx still has not recovered entirely. Along with widespread poverty, Homelessness was rampant. HIV was devastating the community. The crime rate/murder rate was off the charts. Supposedly, in 1971, the Hunts Point neighborhood had a murder rate of 408 () per 100,000. In fact you were more likely to be murdered than die of natural causes in Hunts Point. If I recall there was a 2/6 chance you would die naturally. The other 4/6th was either HIV or homicide. It looked like somebody dropped a nuclear bomb on the Bronx.....so many abondoned cars and buildings in addition to vacant lots. Just awful. I feel for the people who had to go through that horrific timeframe.

Here are some videos of the south Bronx in 1981:

YouTube - South Bronx Wolfen Charlotte Street 1981

YouTube - South Bronx Ruins Wolfen 1981

1989:

YouTube - Danny Aiello PSA "Say no To Drugs" 1989

The Bronx today is much much improved. There are not as many vacant lots, in their place are new housing. There are still some boarded up buildings but there are people occupying them now. Crime/murder rate is lower. HIV rate is lower. Still lots of poverty, Mott Haven in the south Bronx is the poorest congressional district in the US. Crime is still high. It went from being the worst place imaginable, to another high crime ghetto. But trust me it's a better place now (if its saying much).

East Harlem / Brooklyn North is ****...trust me.

The people here are funny. How can you choose a NYC ghetto over East St. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland etc.........The ghetto's there are empty. Nobody is there. How are you in any danger? Walk through the Bronx and on every block you have 20 dudes just hanging out chilling. On the next block, same thing. The next block same thing....and it goes on and on. NYC has vicious ghettos, criminals are everywhere. Anybody can go up to you and stab you. You can be caught in a vicious gun fight. Mixed up in a drug bust. Meanwhile in camden, you're by your lonesome.

Lots of low-income people = lots of crime

nobody around = nothing happens

Capiche?

Last edited by DoubleXAs; 03-25-2008 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 11:33 PM

I forgot to mention the drugs, of boy the drugs. Dying of an overdose was extremely common. You would have dozens and dozens of people walk in a zombie like state. Minutes later, they would jus crumple over the sidewalk an lie dead. Really, IMO, in the 1970's you couldn't find one person not using heroin. Less people used crack a decade later, but it was widespread. Sometimes the bodies of the people would get thrown in a vacant lot. It wasn't unusual to see a hand sticking out of a pile of garbage. If the person was in a body bag, then he/she was murdered.

This in turn led to a lot of robberies. Why do you think the Bronx was so abandoned? Nobody wanted to live there. Nobody even wanted to pass through. There were always junkies waiting to rob somebody so they can get their drug money. They would take anything from you, and if you wouldn't give it up, you would of gotten stabbed in the 70's and shot in the 80's-90's. If you had nothing to give up, they felt no remorse in killing you. Afterall, who was going to arrest them?

I have read that the national census/survey people had to go door to door because the mail men wouldn't deliver in the Bronx. You had pimps, hoes, trans, everything. But you had to be careful picking up a prostitute because even they were armed and murdered men for their money/jewlery.

I wont go into as many details but in the 90's you had whole neighborhoods owned by drug dealers. The west Bronx, Harlem and Washington Heights had building after buildings owned by kingpins. On the first floor they sold weed, second floor Heroin, 3rd floor Crack, 4th floor guns etc.....people just went in and bought what they needed. And god have mercy on your soul if you were to double cross them. They would put hundreds and hundreds of bullets in you AND burn your remains. The murders were so high from the 70's-90's was because drug crews elimanated each other. In Harlem, the 1970's Nicky Barnes and Frank Lucas killed men daily. In later decades the "La Compania" and the Wild Cowboys to name a few were destroying each other by the dozens. If they couldn't get their man, they would go after the family. Scary time after abandonement, the drug wars.

Some nicknames from the time frame:

The rotten apple (The big apple)

New Jack city (New York city)

The Alamo (46th precinct in the Bronx covering Tremont, Morris/University Heights, and Fordham.)

The Wasteland (42nd precinct in the Bronx covering Morrisania)

Crack City (Washington Heights)

The Ghoul Pool (the 75th Precinct covering East NY)

The "Killing Fields" (Name given to East NY)

Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
That's the thing about Detroit and East St. Louis. Those cities are like walking through the middle of nowhere. You have a house or two that are run down pieces of crap but other than that, it's just grass and trees. I mean there are streets with buildings but a lot of Detroit and East St. Louis are just empty yards on sidestreets with a few old houses and not a soul on the street. In Brooklyn, there are people everywhere. You never know who's sane and who's insane, making it that much scarier. It's a shame but that's city life.

Brooklyn isn't bad in daylight, but you'd have to be out of your mind to be in Prospect Park on the Bed-Stuy side after dark. Wasn't their just a mauling there not too long ago? And a Mob-related homicide?

I don't care how bad Brooklyn gets, this man made Brooklyn the place to be... Genius.

YouTube - biggie freestyle

The funeral held in Bed-Stuy...

YouTube - Notorious BIG funerals - Tribute in Brooklyn

NYC's one of the cities where you can't look at overall crime and call it safe or dangerous. You have to go by neighborhood. The city's too big to judge overall.

Last edited by Futcha; 03-26-2008 at 08:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City