Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:35 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times

Advertisements

This isn’t a pole, because I’m interested in input for three different criteria; best city for a single person earning 100k, best city for a childless couple earning a combined 100k, and best city for a family with 100k household income.

Single: NYC
Couple: Chicago
Family: ?

I prefer urban cities, so I’m leaning towards Pittsburgh, but if I didn’t care about urbanity, DFW would probably be a pretty clear number one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 09:04 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
I'm with you on your preference and your choices of NYC and Chicago. (Hat tip to Philly but for me it's Chicago cause of my familiarity)

For the family level it gets tricky...the field gets crowded as you consider the space needs of multiple children, and how cost really becomes a limiting factor at that point. With the caveat that school quality is a less important factor for my wife and I (safety is a priority, test scores not as much...plus we are open to alternatives including private, online, or even homeschooling) I think I'd be primarily considering Atlanta, Houston or Dallas with a long shot nod to New Orleans and Baltimore. That's just us of course, I can see Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Phoenix, etc in that discussion for others. Maybe even sticking with Chicago or Philly.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'm with you on your preference and your choices of NYC and Chicago. (Hat tip to Philly but for me it's Chicago cause of my familiarity)

For the family level it gets tricky...the field gets crowded as you consider the space needs of multiple children, and how cost really becomes a limiting factor at that point. With the caveat that school quality is a less important factor for my wife and I (safety is a priority, test scores not as much...plus we are open to alternatives including private, online, or even homeschooling) I think I'd be primarily considering Atlanta, Houston or Dallas with a long shot nod to New Orleans and Baltimore. That's just us of course, I can see Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Phoenix, etc in that discussion for others. Maybe even sticking with Chicago or Philly.
I wouldn't do Baltimore or New Orleans with a family on 100k, but I agree with everything else you said. I almost considered listing Chicago or Philly for a family on 100k. Both are definitely doable with one kid, but definitely trickier with two, so I went conservative and leveled down.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:21 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This isn’t a pole, because I’m interested in input for three different criteria; best city for a single person earning 100k, best city for a childless couple earning a combined 100k, and best city for a family with 100k household income.

Single: NYC
Couple: Chicago
Family: ?

I prefer urban cities, so I’m leaning towards Pittsburgh, but if I didn’t care about urbanity, DFW would probably be a pretty clear number one.
100K in NYC, you'll end up outside of Manhattan/Brooklyn, in which case loses it's appeal for me.

Agree on Chicago.

I'd say San Diego is up there. Maybe Seattle.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:24 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
100K in NYC, you'll end up outside of Manhattan/Brooklyn, in which case loses it's appeal for me.

Agree on Chicago.

I'd say San Diego is up there. Maybe Seattle.
Queens and The Bronx got some nice areas

Old 05-25-2018, 09:35 AM

197 posts, read 264,982 times
Easily St. Louis! More free family/ municipal attractions than any city except for Washington DC and one of the lowest costs of living. In fact, just look at the cost and quality of housing stock in St. Louis:
https://www.instagram.com/pasadenahills/

Old 05-25-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
You can get a get a nice apt in Sunset Park, Bay Ridge or the gentrified parts of Harlem for 2k/mo.

As a matter of fact, these are the currently available >$2000 1Br+ listings for all of Manhattan and "desirable Brooklyn" on streeteasy:

https://streeteasy.com/for-rent/nyc/...2,324%7Cbeds:1

Old 05-25-2018, 10:13 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL1980 View Post
Easily St. Louis! More free family/ municipal attractions than any city except for Washington DC and one of the lowest costs of living. In fact, just look at the cost and quality of housing stock in St. Louis:
https://www.instagram.com/pasadenahills/
You probably should qualify your post by highlighting the western suburbs, because between its racial tensions, failing schools, and ridiculous crime St. Louis proper is a mess.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:20 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Definitely the outskirts of queens on all levels.
You feel like living on Long Island but Queens N.Y. Much Lower Taxes...

Old 05-25-2018, 10:30 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Chicago is the best bang for your buck when considering urbanity and cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City