Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, what city do you think would be the best for young professionals with a pop under 100k? With the best job prospects, things to do, friendly people, etc etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Out of curiosity, what city do you think would be the best for young professionals with a pop under 100k? With the best job prospects, things to do, friendly people, etc etc?
I would say major college towns like Ithaca NY, Bloomington IN, Ames IA, Amherst MA, Burlington VT, Morgantown WV, etc. Perhaps cities like Portland ME, Albany NY and Roanoke VA, among some others, may work as well. This will depend on what type of work and place you are looking for though.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Unfortunately the issue with many college towns is the fact that even though they may feature a low unemployment rate it's via a relatively one dimensional job sector (working in education and related occupations) beyond the varying part-time service sector jobs in the area. This article might provide some good choices, places like Homewood, AL and West Jordan, UT sound interesting. More small towns thinking big

Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
that is a really hard one, there are location in the burbs of many places with lower population, but you would still have to be near a metro area. I can think of a few places I am familiar with that are doing well and yet not overly populated: towns outside of OKC. Not that I particularly like OKC, but it is growing, the economy is good and there is a need for professionals, Tulsa is another place and so is NWA for that matter. you might also give a thought to central Texas, outside of Austin.

Those are just some ideas, I know there will be many more.

Nita

Old 09-09-2013, 01:59 PM

My wife and I are in accounting and marketing, respectively. A smaller city appeals to us, but the job situation in most is not great. Just figured I could use the great minds here on city data for any insight you guys might have. We had been previously looking at large metros so we are in the infancy of searching the smaller ones. So any input is appreciated.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:52 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Only ones that come to mind are suburbs of larger cities, but places like Redmond WA, Evanston IL, White Plains NY, or New Brunswick, NJ, might still fit the bill.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Unfortunately the issue with many college towns is the fact that even though they may feature a low unemployment rate it's via a relatively one dimensional job sector (working in education and related occupations) beyond the varying part-time service sector jobs in the area. This article might provide some good choices, places like Homewood, AL and West Jordan, UT sound interesting. More small towns thinking big
It depends, as I know that Ithaca has some tech companies, some manufacturing and of course healthcare, among maybe a few other industries.

OP, what are you looking for in a smaller city? That could help determine where could/should look. Here are some postings from one of the cities mentioned: Marketing jobs in Ithaca, NY - Indeed Mobile

Accounting jobs in Ithaca, NY - Indeed Mobile

Old 09-09-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It depends, as I know that Ithaca has some tech companies, some manufacturing and of course healthcare, among maybe a few other industries.

OP, what are you looking for in a smaller city? That could help determine where could/should look. Here are some postings from one of the cities mentioned: Marketing jobs in Ithaca, NY - Indeed Mobile

Accounting jobs in Ithaca, NY - Indeed Mobile
Would love to have a walkable downtown, safe, good schools for the little one, decent restaurants, and maybe some things to do outdoors.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Would love to have a walkable downtown, safe, good schools for the little one, decent restaurants, and maybe some things to do outdoors.
Look into the listings I posted, as Ithaca fits the criteria. Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube

The Future of Downtown Ithaca - YouTube

Old 09-09-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Look into the listings I posted, as Ithaca fits the criteria. Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube

The Future of Downtown Ithaca - YouTube
Ithaca does look interesting. I will be doing more research on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.