Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tucson, AZ vs. Las Vegas, NV vs. El Paso, TX vs. Lubbock, TX vs. San Antonio, TX
Tucson, AZ 13 13.83%
Las Vegas, NV 29 30.85%
El Paso, TX 11 11.70%
Lubbock, TX 4 4.26%
San Antonio, TX 37 39.36%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 12:33 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Some of the nicest, most considerate and polite people I've met right here in Tucson. I'm still trying to get used to it, coming from Las Vegas, the second the stoplight turns green, someone is not honking their horn, and I'm still getting used to it, when I ask people how long they've lived in Tucson, 90% have told me all their lives! In Las Vegas, in 22 years, I never met anyone who had lived there all their lives!

I lived in Phoenix for 3 years, which is more spread out than Los Angeles, and I had no desire to return there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 10:06 AM

47 posts, read 62,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Some of the nicest, most considerate and polite people I've met right here in Tucson. I'm still trying to get used to it, coming from Las Vegas, the second the stoplight turns green, someone is not honking their horn, and I'm still getting used to it, when I ask people how long they've lived in Tucson, 90% have told me all their lives! In Las Vegas, in 22 years, I never met anyone who had lived there all their lives!

I lived in Phoenix for 3 years, which is more spread out than Los Angeles, and I had no desire to return there.
I agree, people in Tucson are very friendly, but you still have your share of some rude people. Las Vegas though is definitely not friendly at all. I always got the vibe there that no one wanted to be talked to. There is less horn honking in Tucson for sure compared to Vegas. I haven't spent much time in Phoenix, except for small day trips, but I've heard stories that the people are not friendly up there. I've also heard that there is not a sense of community and you don't know your neighbors. Phoenix has more transplants than Tucson, kind of like Vegas a little.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:42 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
In my opinion...Las Vegas is more fun and has better entertainment/shopping/dining than any of those other cities on the list..The weather in Vegas is probably similar to El Paso and Tucson though.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:50 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPueblo View Post
Out of these 5 cities, which is the best city for Entertainment, Weather, and Shopping?

For the given criteria, how can it not be Vegas and what is Lubbock doing it this poll?

Old 09-09-2018, 10:17 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I'm glad you enjoy Tucson. I love Tucson too for it's eccentric qualities. Tucson fails for me in other aspects which is why I will probably never move back there after being there for four years. The other aspect being no jobs.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I'm glad you enjoy Tucson. I love Tucson too for it's eccentric qualities. Tucson fails for me in other aspects which is why I will probably never move back there after being there for four years. The other aspect being no jobs.
I'm gonna get a job in Tucson. Thing in Tucson is, if you want to get a job here, you have to have connections. Without connections, good luck. I feel Phoenix is even more competitive because more people are drawn to there than here, but Tucson is still very competitive. It's a very high end city and so many people wanna come here, but more wanna go to Phoenix. I'm comparing Tucson to El Paso when I say it's high end, because El Paso is a very low end city with some very shady areas and the people there aren't nice. Though many people say they are, I've had different experiences.

Thing about El Paso is, the culture is different than other cities. The way it was for me at least was, the majority of the people were rude and closed minded. Those that were polite were still closed minded in the sense that they will talk to you, but if you try to be their friend, they will back off. UTEP was a nightmare. Having been at U of A a lot, the people at U of A are much more outgoing and a lot more hospitable than at UTEP. Some people at UTEP were really mean and really judgmental. The staff and faculty were mean and unapproachable. I'm glad the El Paso chapter of my life is over. I'd honestly say Lubbock is better than El Paso and many people would choose Lubbock.

Point is, I'm very happy in Tucson and I don't plan to leave. I've made more friends here than I did in 16 years in El Paso. I bet even Phoenix and Los Angeles are much friendlier than El Paso.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:48 PM

Now there are some people who like El Paso, but that's ok. I personally don't and I like Tucson much better than El Paso.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:06 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPueblo View Post
I'm gonna get a job in Tucson. Thing in Tucson is, if you want to get a job here, you have to have connections. Without connections, good luck. I feel Phoenix is even more competitive because more people are drawn to there than here, but Tucson is still very competitive. It's a very high end city and so many people wanna come here, but more wanna go to Phoenix. I'm comparing Tucson to El Paso when I say it's high end, because El Paso is a very low end city with some very shady areas and the people there aren't nice. Though many people say they are, I've had different experiences.

Thing about El Paso is, the culture is different than other cities. The way it was for me at least was, the majority of the people were rude and closed minded. Those that were polite were still closed minded in the sense that they will talk to you, but if you try to be their friend, they will back off. UTEP was a nightmare. Having been at U of A a lot, the people at U of A are much more outgoing and a lot more hospitable than at UTEP. Some people at UTEP were really mean and really judgmental. The staff and faculty were mean and unapproachable. I'm glad the El Paso chapter of my life is over. I'd honestly say Lubbock is better than El Paso and many people would choose Lubbock.

Point is, I'm very happy in Tucson and I don't plan to leave. I've made more friends here than I did in 16 years in El Paso. I bet even Phoenix and Los Angeles are much friendlier than El Paso.
Back when I was still looking for work I applied for jobs down there to no avail. I had a way easier time up here for some reason. I had professional work experience in both cities at the time, more in Tucson. Phoenix provides significantly more opportunity in this category. My job, which does exist in Tucson, pays $5/hr less an hour than Phoenix. Not sure if this effectively combats the difference in COL (Tucson is quite a bit cheaper than Phoenix). Tucson does align more with what I want out of a place to live, except the fact that it's smaller and doesn't have the bigger city amenities that Phoenix does (airport, light rail [no, the streetcar doesn't count], etc.).

I love that Tucson is an older city and people actually identify with the area. Tucson doesn't suffer the transplant and snowbird plague quite like Phoenix and Vegas do. Most people are what we call T-locs (Tucson locals) if they live there and aren't affiliated with the U of A as a student. Phoenix doesn't quite have the people invested in their local neighborhoods quite like what goes on in the Dirty T.

After my stint in Tucson, I do see my hometown of Phoenix in a whole new light. That's the main reason I went down there in the first place, to get out of Phoenix for a new experience. Phoenix has a lot of good qualities I didn't recognize that Tucson doesn't have, and Phoenix also has some cons that Tucson shines in.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:07 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I used to work in a Long Term Care/Rehab facility in Las Vegas, and I heard way too many times from the seniors in the facility that Las Vegas has the coldest, most friendly people anywhere where they've lived. And I totally agree!

Las Vegas is the Walled City, walls, walls, walls everywhere you look. It's normal to have a backyard enclosed with 6 foot or higher cinder block walls, and cinder block walls up and down the streets everywhere. And what does that say about Las Vegans who love their walls?

And then there's the omnipresent brown, brown, brown and all shades of brown, and in many new gated communities you're give 4 shades of brown to paint your house. One big townhouse community in Henderson (Brownderson?) has chocolate painted townhouses! If I lived there I'd go kookoo, kookoo, kookoo!! Brown is a very conservative color and a good choice for conservative Las Vegans!

Old 09-11-2018, 01:48 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,674 times
If you need to work, I would pick Vegas but if you're retired, independently wealthy, or can work from anywhere, Tucson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City