Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 10:33 PM

154 posts, read 161,022 times

Advertisements

What area has more things to do in terms of day/weekend trips between living in Metro Boston vs Metro NYC? To you what area (NYC vs Boston) has more things you can go see for a day or weekend by car. Which area wins?

Metro Boston: Boston Itself, Cape Cod, Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket, Gloucester, Newport RI, Kennebunkport, Salem, etc

Metro NYC: Manhattan, Jersey Shore, Catskills, Hamptons, The Poconos, Coney Island, Hoboken, Palisades, etc

Unique Poll.. but I now some of these are not in the respective metro, just close by to the places, and become quick options to vacation in for a day or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 05:03 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Depends what you like Boston has better countryside but NYC has more urban destinations so if you take road trips to escape the city Boston, if you take road trips to explore cities, NYC

Old 07-30-2018, 06:55 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
I think eastern New England is light years ahead of downstate New York in terms of weekend getaways both in terms of variety and quality of locations. I drove between southeast CT and RI yesterday and at least half the cars I saw on the highway were from NY or NJ, and there’s a reason for that. I am pretty biased though.

I will give one nod to NYC: the Finger Lakes region is lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Depends what you like Boston has better countryside but NYC has more urban destinations so if you take road trips to escape the city Boston, if you take road trips to explore cities, NYC
What urban destinations? Trenton and Newark? Those aren’t very typical vacation spots. I guess Philadelphia is roughly just as far from NYC as Portland is from Boston, but that’s the only nice-to-visit city close to New York that I can think of right now.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:12 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I think eastern New England is light years ahead of downstate New York in terms of weekend getaways both in terms of variety and quality of locations. I drove between southeast CT and RI yesterday and at least half the cars I saw on the highway were from NY or NJ, and there’s a reason for that. I am pretty biased though.

What urban destinations? Trenton and Newark? Those aren’t very typical vacation spots. I guess Philadelphia is roughly just as far from NYC as Portland is from Boston, but that’s the only nice-to-visit city close to New York that I can think of right now.
There are a lot of Hudson Valley towns and hiking trails as well as Long Island beaches that can be pretty great.

I think the two are pretty closely matched overall. Aside from Philadelphia (which is a huge plus), I'm also partial to New Haven. If we go smaller, then Kingston. I agree that Trenton and Newark need a lot of work, though there are things about/parts of Newark I like.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:31 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

Overall New Jersey and Connecticut are rather urban. The Jersey Shore is much more built up than the Cape or New Hampshire (or really even the North Shore beyond Beverly) "rustic getaways" are 1.5 hours + from the city while places like Crane Beach or Wachusett Mountain are like 40 minutes from Boston

Old 07-30-2018, 08:36 AM

822 posts, read 858,405 times
well, considering the cities are only a few hours apart by car, I think they share a lot of the same day trip options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City