Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Nashville/Franklin vs. Raleigh/Cary
Nashville/Franklin 39 61.90%
Raleigh/Cary 24 38.10%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 10:03 AM

32 posts, read 35,964 times

Advertisements

Hey there! This forum has been a huge help to me as I've been figuring out where to move. There's two areas that are near the top of my list and seem very similar, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to choose between them. I'm not really interested in living in the city center, but I like both Nashville and Raleigh, and I think Franklin and Cary would be the type of areas where I would end up (though I'm open to other ideas). A little more about me and what I'm looking for:

- I'm a male in my late 20s. I enjoy being active and getting outside, and would ideally like to find a city with a similar culture.

- I work from home, so commute is not an issue.

- I'm looking for somewhere to settle down. I got the traveling/partying bug out of my system when I was younger, so I'm not necessarily looking for a "fun" city, or somewhere that's appealing to visitors and tourists. I'd like to find somewhere I can stick around for a long time.

- That being said, it will be a new city for me and I need to be able to meet other single people my age relatively easily.

- I'll be renting for now, but would like to keep the housing market in consideration.

- Ideally, I'd be in a city that's slightly more conservative/moderate politically.

- I'd like a place with relatively low taxes and cost of living.

- I'd like a place with a large medical community.

- And I'd like to also keep in mind some of the typical considerations (crime rates, pollution, etc.)

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 11:29 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
The slightly more conservative/moderate politically criterion tips the balance in Nashville's favor.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:24 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
If you work in tech, Raleigh. Or if you need proximity to the ocean.

Otherwise, I'd go Nashville. Far more exciting area.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:26 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
While Cary will be technically more conservative than Raleigh or Durham, it's not conservative. The Triangle as a whole is more progressive than conservative. Then again, it all depends on where you're coming from and what you consider to be "conservative".
If it matters, Cary is closer to both Raleigh and Durham than Franklin is to Nashville.
Cary is a much larger town than Franklin and it's also more diverse.
Both Cary and Franklin represent the higher end of the income spectrum and costs of living in their respective metros. According to the Census, Cary's housing costs are somewhat lower for renters and buyers.
In general, the Raleigh area's crime rates are significantly lower than Nashville's. I am not sure how Franklin maps into that data, but I know that Cary's rates are among the lowest nationally for cities its size.
I think that both cities will offer you opportunities to get outside. For Cary, it has a robust network of trails and greenways in addition to a significant park system. Also, to its northeastern border lies a 9 square mile state park. Someone familiar with Franklin can fill you in on their resources. As for mountain access, the distance from Cary to Asheville is similar to the distance from Franklin to Knoxville.
From an overall terrain perspective, Franklin will be hillier than Cary. Cary will clearly be closer to an ocean.
Cary is within Raleigh's core county and is governed at the county level with Raleigh. Franklin is in a suburban county of Nashville and will not have any governance from Nashville-Davidson.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:54 PM

32 posts, read 35,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
While Cary will be technically more conservative than Raleigh or Durham, it's not conservative. The Triangle as a whole is more progressive than conservative. Then again, it all depends on where you're coming from and what you consider to be "conservative".
If it matters, Cary is closer to both Raleigh and Durham than Franklin is to Nashville.
Cary is a much larger town than Franklin and it's also more diverse.
Both Cary and Franklin represent the higher end of the income spectrum and costs of living in their respective metros. According to the Census, Cary's housing costs are somewhat lower for renters and buyers.
In general, the Raleigh area's crime rates are significantly lower than Nashville's. I am not sure how Franklin maps into that data, but I know that Cary's rates are among the lowest nationally for cities its size.
I think that both cities will offer you opportunities to get outside. For Cary, it has a robust network of trails and greenways in addition to a significant park system. Also, to its northeastern border lies a 9 square mile state park. Someone familiar with Franklin can fill you in on their resources. As for mountain access, the distance from Cary to Asheville is similar to the distance from Franklin to Knoxville.
From an overall terrain perspective, Franklin will be hillier than Cary. Cary will clearly be closer to an ocean.
Cary is within Raleigh's core county and is governed at the county level with Raleigh. Franklin is in a suburban county of Nashville and will not have any governance from Nashville-Davidson.
All good info! Thanks!

Old 07-14-2018, 10:59 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
You can't go wrong with either area. Cary and Franklin are excellent areas. Nashville is a much larger city than Raleigh and it shows in its amenities. Both cities are well known for their higher education. Raleigh has the more robust tech industry, while Nashville has the more robust healthcare industry.

Nashville: Significant growth in the city center with lots of new hotels, retail, residential, and commercial development. As a single male in your 20s, Nashville has a great singles scene with its many social networking events and gatherings. They are not all country music based either. Yoga, hiking, athletics, fashion, climbing, healthy foodies, arts, etc. are big here.

Franklin: Very corporate-based. Very conservative and experiencing fast growth. Franklin has many developments underway so traffic can be brutal.

Nashville Lifestyles' 2017 Most Eligible Singles - Nashville Lifestyles

https://www.climbnashville.com

https://citywinery.com/nashville/tickets.html?p=2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q9_y2UKQNWY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=68TUYaCcqMQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=56rZ_0dl20E

Old 07-14-2018, 02:23 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Nashville/Franklin

Old 07-14-2018, 06:13 PM

413 posts, read 437,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
You can't go wrong with either area. Cary and Franklin are excellent areas. Nashville is a much larger city than Raleigh and it shows in its amenities. Both cities are well known for their higher education. Raleigh has the more robust tech industry, while Nashville has the more robust healthcare industry.

Nashville: Significant growth in the city center with lots of new hotels, retail, residential, and commercial development. As a single male in your 20s, Nashville has a great singles scene with its many social networking events and gatherings. They are not all country music based either. Yoga, hiking, athletics, fashion, climbing, healthy foodies, arts, etc. are big here.

Franklin: Very corporate-based. Very conservative and experiencing fast growth. Franklin has many developments underway so traffic can be brutal.

Nashville Lifestyles' 2017 Most Eligible Singles - Nashville Lifestyles

https://www.climbnashville.com

https://citywinery.com/nashville/tickets.html?p=2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q9_y2UKQNWY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=68TUYaCcqMQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=56rZ_0dl20E
eh Larger yes and Nash certainly has more of a city feel as well but much Larger No....both are fast growing Raleigh and the Triangle Area probably moreso....Outside of the tourism and music aspect not sure what amenities Nash has that Raleigh or the Triangle doesn't.

Last edited by JMT; 07-15-2018 at 05:56 PM..

Old 07-16-2018, 08:18 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atacrossroads View Post
All good info! Thanks!
You're welcome.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:19 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
The historic character of the Franklin CBD is what draws me in. It's larger and much more impressive than Cary's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City