Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 11:38 AM

17 posts, read 14,625 times

Advertisements

I am a college student graduating in May 2019 with a business degree. I have potential job opportunities in all three cities, and I am trying to figure out which city would be best for a young professional. I prefer to live in an urban area with numerous amenities within walking distance.

Which city of the three is best, based on the following categories?
Food scene/culture
Economics
Natural beauty/scenery
Proximity to other cities
Shopping
Nightlife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 02:15 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
All would provide what you are looking for. Cincinnati is the biggest of the 3 areas, but Rochester is about an hour from Buffalo and in terms of a major area, it is about 3 hours from Toronto by car. Louisville is the second biggest of the 3 areas, with Rochester(which has the smallest land area), being a close 3rd.

In terms of Rochester, besides Downtown, this area of the city would be the best bet: https://rocwiki.org/Southeast_Quadrant

Home - Celebrate City Living (click on the neighborhoods in yellow)

For instance, this is a street view of the Park Avenue neighborhood in that quadrant: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1483...7i13312!8i6656

Park Avenue | Rochester NY | Restaurant | Boutique | Salon | Coffee Shop | Deli | Pub | 14607

Old 07-30-2018, 09:11 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Food scene/culture: Louisville
Economics: Cincinnati
Natural beauty/scenery: Cincinnati
Proximity to other cities: Louisville
Shopping: Cincinnati
Nightlife: Louisville

I would choose Louisville because it is cheap and offers a lot of value. Cincinnati is ok, but not a very friendly place. Rochester appears to be nice as well.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:56 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

I would choose Louisville because it is cheap and offers a lot of value. Cincinnati is ok, but not a very friendly place. Rochester appears to be nice as well.
Agree, Louisville also warmest, has the highest growth rate, and is the most progressive. It also has a very visible university presence and so does Cincy, but in Louisville its more integrated into the city being a bit smaller.

Louisville feels like the hipper, younger, more up and coming place.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:31 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

I think you are selling Rochester short in the natural beauty department, in fact I think it's a pretty clear winter it's has a 110ft waterfall and gorge right Downtown and Lake Ontario within the city. And it's also a clear winner in proximity to other cities, it's a day trip from Toronto an hour from Buffalo, 5 from Philly and NYC and 6 from Boston.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:41 AM

730 posts, read 815,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast323 View Post
I am a college student graduating in May 2019 with a business degree. I have potential job opportunities in all three cities, and I am trying to figure out which city would be best for a young professional. I prefer to live in an urban area with numerous amenities within walking distance.

Which city of the three is best, based on the following categories?
Food scene/culture Cincinnati
Economics Cincinnati
Natural beauty/scenery Rochester
Proximity to other cities Rochester
Shopping Cincinnati
Nightlife wash
Cincinnati
Rochester
Louisville

Old 07-31-2018, 06:19 AM

2,545 posts, read 2,866,901 times
Neither Louisville nor Rochester can rival the volume of yuppie-friendly neighborhoods that Cincinnati offers. As the largest option, Cincinnati will either be #1 or #1B for just about every category on your wishlist. Otherwise, I guess it comes down to the best fit for you culturally and professionally.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:42 AM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Agree, Louisville also warmest, has the highest growth rate, and is the most progressive. It also has a very visible university presence and so does Cincy, but in Louisville its more integrated into the city being a bit smaller.

Louisville feels like the hipper, younger, more up and coming place.
How do you come to the conclusion that Louisville is more progressive? I ask given that Rochester has had 2 African American mayors(actually 2 out its last 3 or 4) and its LGBTQ history: https://rocwiki.org/LGBT_Community , among other things(university and corporate presence).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-31-2018 at 07:40 AM..

Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Neither Louisville nor Rochester can rival the volume of yuppie-friendly neighborhoods that Cincinnati offers. As the largest option, Cincinnati will either be #1 or #1B for just about every category on your wishlist. Otherwise, I guess it comes down to the best fit for you culturally and professionally.
Yes. Although Cincinnati's metro size, economic output and cultural assets are significantly greater than the other two cities, the OP's choice will depend upon personal preferences and realistic professional opportunities that can't be determined this soon.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:01 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
I would like to point out that Louisville is the only city that lacks an abandoned Subway of the 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City