Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area offers more?
Orlampa (Tampa AND Orlando) 33 41.25%
Metro Atlanta 47 58.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 05:03 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'll tell you what I'm thinking and seeing with my own eyes, on multiple, recent visits to both.

I am one of the biggest champions and defender of Orlando on this site. I am not buying what you're selling though, by any stretch of the imagination.
What you are "thinking" and "seeing" is subjective and is your personal opinion, it does not change the facts unfortunately.

The data that I previously posted is factual data, I even posted my sources, the facts state that Downtown Orlando is significantly larger and more developed in all aspects than Downtown St. Petersburg. You cannot change facts..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 09:39 PM

923 posts, read 664,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
What you are "thinking" and "seeing" is subjective and is your personal opinion, it does not change the facts unfortunately.

The data that I previously posted is factual data, I even posted my sources, the facts state that Downtown Orlando is significantly larger and more developed in all aspects than Downtown St. Petersburg. You cannot change facts..
Im not agreeing or disagreeing but larger doesnt mean more urban or vibrant which is what I thought was the argument.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:36 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:

You can tout 'opinion' around as 'facts' all day and night if you want to. It changes nothing. You are no more in command of them than the people you challenge.
In my experience, at this point in time...St. Petersburg offers a far more integrated downtown experience than does Orlando...for now. Things may change over time, as they both have brilliant futures. But for now, relax and stop the 'High Noon' crapola.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
You can tout 'opinion' around as 'facts' all day and night if you want to. It changes nothing. You are no more in command of them than the people you challenge.
In my experience, at this point in time...St. Petersburg offers a far more integrated downtown experience than does Orlando...for now. Things may change over time, as they both have brilliant futures. But for now, relax and stop the 'High Noon' crapola.
How is the data quoted below an "opinion"?? And how can you realistically tell me that the substantial variance in population and employment numbers does not have any impact whatsoever on urbanity?

Higher population = More residents occupying residential units, more people walking around the streets, using services, visiting restaurants/cafes/bars/nightlife, using transportation services, participating in local events/festivals/etc..

Higher employment = High volume of commuters occupying the area during business hours, higher volume of businesses/places of employment, and once again; more people walking around the streets, visiting restuarants/cafes/bars/nightlife, using transportation services, contributing to the downtown economy, etc..

I don't understand what the debate is here, the numbers speak for themselves.

Quote:
Umm, not quite, you are both totally wrong actually. Please see the actual facts below:

Downtown Orlando Population: 43,388
Downtown St. Petersburg Popuatlion: 9,884

Downtown Orlando Total Households: 20,520
Downtown St. Petersburg Total Households: 8,027

Downtown Orlando Employment: 149,298
Downtown St. Petersburg Employment: 22,595

Sources:
Downtown - St. Petersburg
Facts & Stats - DowntownOrlando.com

Old 08-30-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
How is the data quoted below an "opinion"?? And how can you realistically tell me that the substantial variance in population and employment numbers does not have any impact whatsoever on urbanity?

Higher population = More residents occupying residential units, more people walking around the streets, using services, visiting restaurants/cafes/bars/nightlife, using transportation services, participating in local events/festivals/etc..

Higher employment = High volume of commuters occupying the area during business hours, higher volume of businesses/places of employment, and once again; more people walking around the streets, visiting restuarants/cafes/bars/nightlife, using transportation services, contributing to the downtown economy, etc..

I don't understand what the debate is here, the numbers speak for themselves.
GIGO = Garbage in, garbage out. I'd like to see what constitutes 'downtown' here.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
GIGO = Garbage in, garbage out. I'd like to see what constitutes 'downtown' here.
Official Boundary Map of Downtown Orlando:
http://www.downtownorlando.com/wp-co...ap-7.24.17.pdf

Official Boundary Map of Downtown St. Petersburg:
http://www.discoverdowntown.com/publ...e_dtstpete.pdf

Old 08-31-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Official Boundary Map of Downtown Orlando:
http://www.downtownorlando.com/wp-co...ap-7.24.17.pdf

Official Boundary Map of Downtown St. Petersburg:
http://www.discoverdowntown.com/publ...e_dtstpete.pdf
Mmm-hmm. Just as I thought.
All those years I thought I was living in College Park, and I was actually living downtown. Go figure.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:38 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
All those years I thought I was living in College Park, and I was actually living downtown. Go figure.
Except that College Park is not included in the downtown boundaries in the image above...

Old 08-31-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
If you actually read the map before jumping to conclusions you will see that the area in GREY is what is considered Downtown Orlando, everything outside of the area in grey is not.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:41 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
No, NO Orlampa won't be. Tampa is more business oriented with a few large back-office campuses BUT where are the Fortune 500 HEADQUARTERS AND regional offices!? You got who/what? Orlando is basically a tourist trap and NOTHING more. If Washington D.C. had to chose which to sacrifice under NUKE attack, say goodbye to those Florida metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City