Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 04:14 PM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It really is interesting how Missouri has a bit of north, south, east, and west within its borders.
"Missouri is the nation in microcosm." -me

The Civil War was fought entirely within its borders. Two major battles in the Western Civil War, Lexington (Mo.) and Westport - the latter sometimes called "the western Gettysburg" - took place in Jackson County. The sites of the Battle of Westport lie entirely within the city limits of pre-World War II Kansas City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 10:44 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
What I didn't miss about NC (particularly in the Triangle) is the inflated egos if self-importance; there is a segment of the population that believes everything that goes on there is top billing. And I'm moving right back into that in about four months lol...
Considering NC is the 9th most populous state, I find it a pretty forgettable place. I mean, I hear it's a great place to live, but for some reason, I never hear anything interesting or unique originating from the state. I found the cities and metros pretty standard as well- very general suburbia and unspecial downtowns. The scenery isn't particularly special either.

It's odd because I find Virginia and South Carolina to be full of character, or at least have specific or unique places with a lot of character.

It could just be my own life experience (although I have lived on the west coast, northeast, and mid-Atlantic).

Old 01-09-2019, 11:45 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Considering NC is the 9th most populous state, I find it a pretty forgettable place. I mean, I hear it's a great place to live, but for some reason, I never hear anything interesting or unique originating from the state. I found the cities and metros pretty standard as well- very general suburbia and unspecial downtowns. The scenery isn't particularly special either.

It's odd because I find Virginia and South Carolina to be full of character, or at least have specific or unique places with a lot of character.

It could just be my own life experience (although I have lived on the west coast, northeast, and mid-Atlantic).
I'm guessing you only visited Charlotte and Raleigh, not Asheville, Boone, Durham, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, or the Outer Banks.

Someone could very well say the same about VA if their experiences were limited to NoVa.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:49 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,821,788 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you only visited Charlotte and Raleigh, not Asheville, Boone, Durham, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, or the Outer Banks.

Someone could very well say the same about VA if their experiences were limited to NoVa.
Nova has a lot of historical charm: Alexandria, Fredericksburg, Manassas, Leesburg, Occoquan, Middleburg, Mount Vernon.

Does Raleigh have neighborhoods like Old Town? I don't think so.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Nova has a lot of historical charm: Alexandria, Fredericksburg, Manassas, Leesburg, Occoquan, Middleburg, Mount Vernon.
Outside of Old Town Alexandria, most people visiting NoVa aren't going way out of the way to visit those small hamlets. And Fredericksburg isn't part of NoVa in any real sense.

Quote:
Does Raleigh have neighborhoods like Old Town? I don't think so.
Durham and Chapel Hill is where you go in the Triangle for downtown charm (downtown Raleigh is growing up and out nicely in its own right though). Even metro Charlotte has smaller suburbs with nice historic downtowns (Davidson, Belmont, York, etc) but they are out of the way for most visitors.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Outside of Old Town Alexandria, most people visiting NoVa aren't going way out of the way to visit those small hamlets. And Fredericksburg isn't part of NoVa in any real sense.
The Virginia Rail Express commuter train line ends in Fredericksburg. VRE is very much a Northern Virginia entity.

The reversible express lanes in I-95 now extend almost that far as well.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:47 AM

830 posts, read 1,019,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The Virginia Rail Express commuter train line ends in Fredericksburg. VRE is very much a Northern Virginia entity.

Since 2015, the VRE actually ends in Spotsylvania near Germanna Community College, roughly 10 miles south of downtown Fredericksburg. And there is a mammoth construction project going on right now to extend the express lanes to the Plank Rd. Exit/Fredericksburg "Central Park."

Check out this great satirical piece that makes light of the encroachment of NoVA in Virginia. https://thepeedmont.com/2019/01/09/r...ksburg-border/

Old 01-10-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Since 2015, the VRE actually ends in Spotsylvania near Germanna Community College, roughly 10 miles south of downtown Fredericksburg. And there is a mammoth construction project going on right now to extend the express lanes to the Plank Rd. Exit/Fredericksburg "Central Park."

Check out this great satirical piece that makes light of the encroachment of NoVA in Virginia. https://thepeedmont.com/2019/01/09/r...ksburg-border/
First off, nice to see that Virginia has its own answer to The Onion.

Second, that article was a real hoot. What will the wall be made of? Lobbyists?

Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Fredericksburg is its own thing and people refer to Fredericksburg as Fredericksburg; it has its own identity and sphere of influence. It's a stretch to consider it NoVa in the way most refer to NoVa.

Are we going to start calling Richmond NoVa as well once the sprawl reaches that far south uninterrupted?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:39 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,913 times
Quote:
Nope, that isn't the case. I've been around...but I just found it kinda bland. Nothing really stood out to me.

Quote:
Well in my case, I have been around both states, and I find Virginia to be much more memorable. Its regions are more unique and its history is pretty unique/special.

Also, Alexandria is far nicer and quaint than anything I've seen in North Carolina and you can take a subway to get there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City