Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 07:06 PM

19 posts, read 9,393 times

Advertisements

I have worked extremely well in High School and the only schools i'm not sure i could get into are Ivy League schools, MIT and a few others. I dislike living here in Alabama and I am ready to get out and go to college in a big city. I have made a list of all the cities i am thinking about going to college in. I want to be in a safe city with lots of things to do and a good subway system (since I will live off campus unless i am required to freshmen year) to get to campus. In each city how much can I rent a studio for in a safe area.

NYC: NYU, Fordham

Philly: Villanova

DC: Georgetown

Boston: BC, BU, Northeastern, Umass Boston

These schools I would all love to attend so I am going to decide what city I want to be in first, I am open to other suggestions that are not on the west coast which is too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Boston is a great city. More college kids per capita than any city in NA, though I believe that’s the case in raw numbers too. I think only Tokyo has more colleges/universities than Boston globally. It’s also a great city for your first internship, and later for that initial job hunt.

What do you want to study?

With the caliber of schools you’re considering, I would remove Umass Boston from your list, and instead replace it with Tufts and Bentley.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:15 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfa04 View Post
I have worked extremely well in High School and the only schools i'm not sure i could get into are Ivy League schools, MIT and a few others. I dislike living here in Alabama and I am ready to get out and go to college in a big city. I have made a list of all the cities i am thinking about going to college in. I want to be in a safe city with lots of things to do and a good subway system (since I will live off campus unless i am required to freshmen year) to get to campus. In each city how much can I rent a studio for in a safe area.

These schools I would all love to attend so I am going to decide what city I want to be in first, I am open to other suggestions that are not on the west coast which is too far.
I would remove UMass Boston from your list only because they just got on campus housing this year. The school is pretty good, but for someone coming from outside of the region, it will not give you the true college experience. It's still very much a commuter school and will take years to develop more of an on campus feel. Also, it's on a peninsula and can feel cutoff from the rest of Boston. Pretty location right on the water, but can feel isolated from the city.

NYC, Boston and DC will have high rents, so you should look at the cost of on campus housing vs. off campus housing. Philly will have the cheapest rents.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:49 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
DC is a terrific option but bear in mind Georgetown U is not located on a subway line. You might consider George Washington University which has a very good reputation....especially if considering a career in fields like law, finance/banking, government/public service, healthcare/public health or international relations. It's campus in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood (with it's own subway station) is surrounded in close proximity by amazing internship opportunities such as the World Bank, US State Department, Organization of American States (OAS), National Geographic, American National Red Cross, the Federal Reserve, the National Academy of Sciences and much more. You can find decent studio apartments in safe/secure highrise buildings for around $1400 a month with all utilities included in Foggy Bottom that are very close to campus. https://www.gwu.edu/about

Old 01-15-2019, 06:53 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I would remove UMass Boston from your list only because they just got on campus housing this year. The school is pretty good, but for someone coming from outside of the region, it will not give you the true college experience. It's still very much a commuter school and will take years to develop more of an on campus feel. Also, it's on a peninsula and can feel cutoff from the rest of Boston. Pretty location right on the water, but can feel isolated from the city.

NYC, Boston and DC will have high rents, so you should look at the cost of on campus housing vs. off campus housing. Philly will have the cheapest rents.

I mean BC is way out in Newton/Brighton it takes like a half hour to get into the city. UMass Boston is a couple stops from downtown.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:57 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Philadelphia is a great city, but Villanova is actually in a nice suburb of Philadelphia rather than Philadelphia itself. If you were looking for Philadelphia proper, then it’s UPenn, Temple, and Drexel.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:58 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I mean BC is way out in Newton/Brighton it takes like a half hour to get into the city. UMass Boston is a couple stops from downtown.

Yeah, I wouldn't consider UMASS Boston from that list. Too out of the way, not much of a social culture on campus, unlike BC.

But, also, if they want to rent a studio? Why? College kids typically have a bunch of roommates. It's way too expensive, unless he's rich, to rent a studio in Boston as a student. From someone coming from Alabama they'd be floored for the prices. I wouldn't consider Boston (and I love it) if I insisted on living alone as a student.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:05 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,930 times
What do you plan on studying?

Old 01-15-2019, 08:07 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,406 times
Quote:

You'll have an excellent time in any of these cities. Attending an urban university is truly a privilege, as you get to experience life in a big city while simultaneously being able to retreat to your little student enclave. I'm specifically going to speak for Philly, however.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Villanova is outside of the city, along the Main Line in Delaware County. It is accessible to the city by the Regional Rail and Norristown High-Speed Line (via a transfer to the El at 69th Street), but they stop running late at night. Plus, its campus is very suburban. Would you prefer to attend a public or private school? Villanova is private, and it can be quite pricey.

As a proud alumnus, I'd recommend that you look into Temple University. It's an amazing university with a beautiful campus, excellent facilities, a D1 football team, a dynamic student body, and so much more. The main campus is situated along the Broad Street Line (which runs 24 hours on the weekends), has a major Regional Rail station (which is useful for day trips throughout the region, and to NYC and DC), and several bus routes (some of which run 24/7). What will you be studying? I hold a BBA in Finance from the Fox School of Business. Due to the education and interview etiquette training I received, I had a job offer lined up before I graduated back in May. I ended up quitting that job six months later after receiving a BETTER job offer!

Drexel, Penn, St. Joe's, and LaSalle are all major universities within city limits, but you should really take some time to take a look at Temple if you're interested in a true urban experience. FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT FOR THE CHERRY AND THE WHITE! ']['

Last edited by PhilliesPhan2013; 01-15-2019 at 08:15 AM..

Old 01-15-2019, 09:21 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,651,397 times
Quote:

Have you thought about Montreal? lot's of Americans go to McGill (top 30 school) or Concordia. Tuition is cheaper here, education is much better as well, safe environment, transit is top notch, festivals no matter the weather, nightlife is top notch. We're also the second best city worldwide for millennials and #4 in QS best student cities in 2018 (#1 in 2017). If you want more info just send me a PM.

https://www.nestpick.com/millennial-city-ranking-2018/
https://www.topuniversities.com/city-rankings/2018
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City