Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 11:20 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not necessarily. Chances are that that's true, but there's no way to know for sure.
Somebody gets it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Well this got off topic.... I am going to put in my two cents for the original question.

DC is a political town, so wealthy (black and white) centers around political connections.

NYC is a big business town with some of the oldest elite social circles that are very hard to crack.

Black people and minorities in general have a lot more upward mobility in cities like DC or Atlanta vs New York. New Yorks upper society is very closed off and unwelcoming to outsiders for a number of reasons. Our president was pretty much shunned from wealthy New York society.

I also think a lot of people are giving Atlanta a little too much credit. I don't possibly see how an argument can be made for Atlanta having more millionaires or black millionaires than DC and especially NYC.
I don’t see how someone can state an opinion as fact without having proof of their claim. But forgive me for being logical. Cheerio now, darling.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:24 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I don’t see how someone can state an opinion as fact without having proof of their claim. But forgive me for being logical. Cheerio now, darling.
Where are my opinions flawed in your mind? Because they don't favor Atlanta?

FYI, there is no flaw or lack of logic when sharing an opinion, it all depends on if the opinion is subjective, relevant or researched. Do I have a piece of paper stating how many black millionaires are in each city now, but I hardly pulled my statements out of thin air.

Last edited by cpomp; 02-26-2019 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: edited thought.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Where are my opinions flawed in your mind? Because they don't favor Atlanta?

FYI, there is no flaw or lack of logic when sharing an opinion, it all depends on if the opinion is subjective, relevant or researched. Do I have a piece of paper stating how many black millionaires are in each city now, but I hardly pulled my statements out of thin air.
I don’t give a damn who your opinion favors. I’ve asked repeatedly asked for proof of the claim. No one can produce it. Yet everyone has an opinion, including myself, who is challenging this opinion trying to be passed off as a fact.

Now, do you have the source of the list of black millionaires or should we discuss what we do know?

Old 02-26-2019, 02:17 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
To answer your question, not me. But what millionaires do you know that I know that ARENT famous?
LOL is that even a serious question? I know an owner of a hardware store in Brooklyn, his revenue is ~$6 million per year (he does a lot of contracts with the state, city, and B2B). I know a guy who runs a small chain of sandwich shops here in Brooklyn (3 stores), and he is definitely a millionaire as well. He pays $25,000 per month rent on just one of his locations. I know a guy from my high school who started a small construction business who is now a millionaire, I don't think he even works anymore (he didn't even go to college btw).... Additionally, every single property owner in neighborhoods like Park Slope and others is a millionaire... We are talking thousands of people.

Last edited by Gantz; 02-26-2019 at 02:26 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 02:52 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Who cares about famous people? That's all hype. Lets get real here, a guy who owns a warehouse business in Queens is worth more than 21 Savage...
And most reality TV stars, except the Kardashians, don't even make that much $$. Probably just as much as a director at Google/JP Morgan Chase/HSBC.
If you're a reality TV star on one of those smaller cable networks, AND your show is doing decent (mid level show), you are probably making as much as an MTA train engineer.

Uh huh. My co-workers and I were just talking about this the other day and saying how in reality TV a lot of these people make $150k, $200k, $250k, etc and spill their entire lives out to the world, open themselves up for endless criticism, etc when you could go to NYC, SF, DC, etc become a Chief Administrative Officer, Marketing Director, etc and make that without the headache of putting your life out to the world.

Reality TV pays pennies compared to what it paid back in the day. The kids in the original Jersey Shore run were getting $1-2 million a season. And $250k is on the high side nowadays so just because a city has a relatively high amount of reality stars doesn't necessarily make it wealthy.

That said, I'm not disputing that Atlanta has wealthy areas but I just don't think it's really comparable to NYC or DC when you look at the numbers.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:11 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Uh huh. My co-workers and I were just talking about this the other day and saying how in reality TV a lot of these people make $150k, $200k, $250k, etc and spill their entire lives out to the world, open themselves up for endless criticism, etc when you could go to NYC, SF, DC, etc become a Chief Administrative Officer, Marketing Director, etc and make that without the headache of putting your life out to the world.

Reality TV pays pennies compared to what it paid back in the day. The kids in the original Jersey Shore run were getting $1-2 million a season. And $250k is on the high side nowadays so just because a city has a relatively high amount of reality stars doesn't necessarily make it wealthy.

That said, I'm not disputing that Atlanta has wealthy areas but I just don't think it's really comparable to NYC or DC when you look at the numbers.
Not only that, but you get no benefits and no job stability as you are essentially a short-term contractor. And Jersey Shore was a big show with millions of viewers, and only regulars get paid the big bucks. If you are making a guest appearance on one of those random shows on Starz or whatever, they legit pay you something like $5k for one time appearance contract. Most of these actors are broke.
Construction Project managers to rehab NYC homeless shelters are getting paid like $250k per year and they are private contractors as well.

Even the biggest stars, the 1% of their field, like Jay Z, Birdman, Kanye, etc. are nowhere near as rich as the top 1% in other fields. Just look at Retail industry and compare Jeff Bezos or the Walmart heirs to these movie and music stars... Jeff Bezos alone is probably worth more than the entire net worth of all people at Oscars. He does not RENT $100k suits.

Last edited by Gantz; 02-26-2019 at 03:28 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
LOL is that even a serious question? I know an owner of a hardware store in Brooklyn, his revenue is ~$6 million per year (he does a lot of contracts with the state, city, and B2B). I know a guy who runs a small chain of sandwich shops here in Brooklyn (3 stores), and he is definitely a millionaire as well. He pays $25,000 per month rent on just one of his locations. I know a guy from my high school who started a small construction business who is now a millionaire, I don't think he even works anymore (he didn't even go to college btw).... Additionally, every single property owner in neighborhoods like Park Slope and others is a millionaire... We are talking thousands of people.
Reading really is fundamental, but so are comprehension skills.

You know these people. I don’t. If I didn’t use famous people (that YOU AND I know) to make my point, how in the heck would it have possibly been made?

I think it’s time for another break from CD. Y’all are starting to irritate the shat out of me with the nonsense.

Last edited by isawooty; 02-26-2019 at 03:57 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post

And anyone that does is probably insane. Wealth in NYC, DC, LA, SF, MIA, CHI, DFW, and HOU are all superior to Atlanta. In 2019, I would probably still bet Philadelphia, Boston, and probably Seattle are still ahead of Atlanta too.

Wealth across the board isn’t what the OP was talking about though. Again, not an attack. Just making a point.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:47 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Well, for starters let me say that I’m not disputing your claims. Nor is what I’m about to say an attempt to dance around them. But...

Atlanta is a smaller city than DC and a MUCH smaller city that NYC. So based off that alone, Atlanta is at a disadvantage. If they used the metropolitan area, still Atlanta is smaller than the DMV area and NYC. So, still there’s an inherent disadvantage that Atlanta faces in terms of flat out numbers regardless of city or metro figures being used. Especially if they combine DC with Baltimore.

So, let’s just say that we’re using percentages instead of numbers. Are they using real estate in determining the net worth of these millionaires? If so, well, there goes the crown to NYC and DC just off real estate alone.

And then there’s this: how many of these millionaires are in the $1,000,000-$1,999,999 range of liquid assets verses those of $5 million or true HNWI over $30 million?

I have a hard time believing that Atlanta with all of its musicians, actors, TV Stars, song writers, music producers, film producers, on top of the usual business owners, trust fund babies, doctors, lawyers, and CEOs is behind DC. And if so, on the higher end (above $5 million in liquid assesets or more) I believe Atlanta would come out on top.

NYC, I would still believe to be head and shoulders above both, probably even if you combined the two. Especially considering both Jay-Z and Diddy call New York home. I believe the wealthiest famous black Atlantan would be Tyler Perry. I believe DC and NYC can claim one black billionaire each, too. Which is something that I don’t think Atlanta can.

But if someone has a link or source, there are still hours left in this Holy Day.
Baltimore's black millionaires are NOT DC's millionaires, though. You'd be going into a completely different metro to pull numbers. DC does pretty damn good all by itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City