Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2022, 04:25 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There are so many countries where Boston is within 600 people of DC but the difference of 22,000 black Hispanics is insignificant. Please tap back into reality resident.

Many posters from the beginning of this thread already noted Boston over DC or Atlanta. Including the OP...

It's clearly not asinine. And any serious sociologist and demographer would agree with me.

DC is an African American-dominated black population. Boston has no dominant group even approaching AA numbers. cite all the countries you want. It still doesn't negate the fact that 83% of the DMVs black folks belong to one group. I cant belive this is even i the realm of reality for you. It's not boosting its just simple data and simple math. If the African American population were smaller DC would win out..but its not so it doesnt. .
Sorry but when you are #1 or 2 in the continent of Africa in where the immigrants in your region come from, that outweighs a lot when comparing to a metro of much smaller overall Black population, and less countries and total Black immigrants than DC. It's like saying DC is more diverse in Asian population than the Bay because they have so many Chinese.

There is diversity in the Black population in the Boston area, and the Caribbean population is larger with more diversity than the DC area, but again that is where it ends. The actual continent of Africa is too large and ethnicities range across multiple nations that DC or NY dominate in. Those cities just have more countries period, that includes Black immigrants. Again Boston is credited for a good Caribbean population and Cape Verdeans, in which many of them are either mixed race or fair skinned/complected. Like has been mentioned earlier DC also strong in Caribbean and Hispanic Black/Carribeans, it's not dominated by Boston there, like Boston is in Africa by DC, only Miami and New York dominate there. You on that hype juice dog.

Born in Africa
New York City: 285,193
Washington DC: 212,663
Dallas/Fort Worth: 119,190
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 112,730
Houston: 106,460
Atlanta: 104,414
Boston: 88,877
Los Angeles: 82,685
Philadelphia: 72,476
Baltimore: 66,258
Seattle/Tacoma: 62,827
Chicago: 60,262
Columbus, OH: 51,324
Denver: 33,759
San Francisco: 30,871
Phoenix: 29,085
Charlotte: 22,994
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 21,755
San Diego: 19,778
Las Vegas: 16,682
Portland, OR: 14,868
Detroit: 14,354
San Jose: 13,976
Tampa: 13,212
Austin: 12,764
Orlando: 10,644

Born in East Africa
Washington DC: 76,206
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 67,388
Seattle/Tacoma: 41,221
Dallas/Fort Worth: 40,645
Atlanta: 34,811
Columbus, OH: 23,554
New York City: 20,902
Boston: 18,859
Los Angeles: 18,114
Denver: 14,057
Houston: 13,089
Baltimore: 12,358
San Francisco: 12,080
Chicago: 11,058

10k and up:

Born in Middle Africa

Washington DC: 21,334
Dallas/Fort Worth: 12,856
Houston: 10,156

Born in North Africa

New York City: 75,245
Los Angeles: 28,938
Washington DC: 23,928
Chicago: 12,137
Houston: 11,426
Dallas/Fort Worth: 11,328

Born in West Africa
New York City: 156,493
Washington DC: 81,239
Houston: 65,298
Dallas/Fort Worth: 47,781
Atlanta: 47,622
Boston: 46,981
Philadelphia: 43,352
Baltimore: 41,520
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 36,358
Chicago: 28,133
Los Angeles: 20,233
Columbus, OH: 17,999

Born in non-Hispanic Caribbean
New York City: 651,106
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 418,822
Boston: 77,182
Atlanta: 73,638
Orlando: 67,342
Philadelphia: 45,900
Washington DC: 44,165
Tampa: 29,851
Bridgeport/Stamford: 27,033
Houston: 18,875
Baltimore: 16,559
Chicago: 12,846
Los Angeles: 11,805

Nigeria
Houston: 56,214
New York City: 55,128
Dallas/Fort Worth: 35,080
Baltimore: 28,261
Atlanta: 22,127
Washington DC: 21,143
Chicago: 17,815
Los Angeles: 13,575
Philadelphia: 11,370

Ethiopia
Washington DC: 53,764
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 23,567
Atlanta: 19,087
Dallas/Fort Worth: 15,962
Seattle: 13,651

Ghana
New York City: 50,454
Washington DC: 26,118
Atlanta: 10,753
Columbus, OH: 10,151

Somalia
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 27,490
Columbus, OH: 11,916

Egypt
New York City: 55,776
Los Angeles: 22,454

Kenya
Seattle/Tacoma: 12,335
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 11,888
Dallas/Fort Worth: 11,549

Cabo Verde
Boston: 29,717

Liberia
Philadelphia: 16,631
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 15,005

Morocco
New York City: 13,489
Washington DC: 10,680

Sierra Leon
Washington DC: 13,873

Jamaica
New York City: 250,386
Jamaica: 142,588
Atlanta: 41,671
Washington DC: 23,041
Philadelphia: 22,333
Orlando: 21,586
Bridgeport/Stamford: 14,658
Tampa: 13,961

Haiti
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 233,709
New York City: 158,753
Boston: 54,726
Orlando: 33,776
Atlanta: 17,622
Philadelphia: 12,332

Trinidad and Tobago
New York City: 95,032
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 18,650

St. Vincent
New York City: 15,735

Grenada
New York City: 22,036

Dominica
New York City: 11,309

Barbados
New York City: 24,155

Bahamas
Miami/Fort Worth: 10,774
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 04:28 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'm referring to nationalities/ethnicities...Boston has a more diverse Caribbean population than DC, and that's it. Credit to Boston/Prov on Cape Verdeans being a distinct group from that continent, but DC has the most diverse African population in the US aside from New York City, and it's closer to a tie than anything.
Okay a more diverse African population- unfortunately that’s only 10-12% of all the black people in the DMV. But the black population as a whole is still 80-85% Black American. Whereas Boston MSA is more like 34%. If you’re looking for a three way balance between American, Caribbean and Africa your not gonna find a better balance: but the title goes to NYC because its Caribbean population and African population is so diverse.

I’m not gonna just ignore that Nearly 7/8 DC black folks is ADOS. I’m sure in professional and educated circles it’s lower. But again- Boston has a higher share of mixed race blacks, a higher share of non English speaking blacks, and higher % of Hispanic blacks, and higher overall number of Hispanic blacks.

If DC were more like 60/% AA I’d be a lot more inclined it’s more diverse maybe ((even if it’s not technically ). Or even if Boston black population were really small like Hartford, but it’s not. At its most inclusive it’s a top 15 MSA and top 12 CSA…at its smallest it’s #21 in MSA. No one would say #20 (Richmond or Orlando) is a small black population. But for Boston its different because.. reasons, naturally.

There are endless analogies for why that African American dominance an issue.

You have a very core fundamental difference where when you meet a black person in the DMV you can reasonably assume their Black American- yes? and almost be absolutely assure they speak English?.

In Boston it’s a true toss up. I also recently read DC has fewer transplants as a % than Boston I have no idea what % of Bosotnian balck is native to MA but i do know it’s the minority. But I do know something like 45% of black adults in the Boston MSA is foreign born now. In Hartford it’s about 34% in NYC it’s ~41%. Add to this the knowledge that only 43% of people living in the city of Boston was born in MA and all the balck college students in MA and it has a good case for regional diversity too.

You’re tryna sell me because DC has a large diverse African population that matter more than the Carribean. I’m not buying. Especially not when your hyper dominated by one group.

You’re numbers above obscure the fact that Boston is 2nd to New York in many of those categories like a Barbados or St Vincent etc. ironically I was just looking at a Saint Vincentian in Boston yesterday. https://twitter.com/casperhodmusic?s...3LKzxCm7_71Ovw

We’re also ignoring that Boston doesn’t just outnumber DC in Cape Verde but also Uganda and Kenya. It also trails In Zimbabweans, Somalians by less than 600 people. Boston trumps DC on a per capita basis in East Africa.

Old 10-14-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Okay a more diverse African population- unfortunately that’s only 10-12% of all the black people in the DMV. But the black population as a whole is still 80-85% Black American. Whereas Boston MSA is more like 34%. If you’re looking for a three way balance between American, Caribbean and Africa your not gonna find a better balance: but the title goes to NYC because its Caribbean population and African population is so diverse.

I’m not gonna just ignore that Nearly 7/8 DC black folks is ADOS. I’m sure in professional and educated circles it’s lower. But again- Boston has a higher share of mixed race blacks, a higher share of non English speaking blacks, and higher % of Hispanic blacks, and higher overall number of Hispanic blacks.

If DC were more like 60/% AA I’d be a lot more inclined it’s more diverse maybe ((even if it’s not technically ). Or even if Boston black population were really small like Hartford, but it’s not. At its most inclusive it’s a top 15 MSA and top 12 CSA…at its smallest it’s #21 in MSA. No one would say #20 (Richmond or Orlando) is a small black population. But for Boston its different because.. reasons, naturally.

There are endless analogies for why that African American dominance an issue.

You have a very core fundamental difference where when you meet a black person in the DMV you can reasonably assume their Black American- yes? and almost be absolutely assure they speak English?.

In Boston it’s a true toss up. I also recently read DC has fewer transplants as a % than Boston I have no idea what % of Bosotnian balck is native to MA but i do know it’s the minority. But I do know something like 45% of black adults in the Boston MSA is foreign born now. In Hartford it’s about 34% in NYC it’s ~41%. Add to this the knowledge that only 43% of people living in the city of Boston was born in MA and all the balck college students in MA and it has a good case for regional diversity too.

You’re tryna sell me because DC has a large diverse African population that matter more than the Carribean. I’m not buying. Especially not when your hyper dominated by one group.
But you're comparing two areas that are too far off in total Black population. Of course DC's AA totals are going to be high. Like literally saying a metro with 550k Blacks and another with 1.6 million should compare. The main thing Boston has more diversity in is Caribbean Blacks, and it's only like 25k people difference, but I get that by percentage Boston's is greater. There's almost a 150k difference in African continent foreign born Blacks from DC to Boston regions.

I think that Boston is top 5 in Black diversity, and probably not 5th, so I understand, but breaking down East/West/North, Africa alone, then sprinkling in about a 20-25k Black Caribbean difference, I don't see how DC isn't ahead. Even the Black "American" population within itself in DC area is probably the most varied in the country.

Old 10-14-2022, 04:48 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
But you're comparing two areas that are too far off in total Black population. Of course DC's AA totals are going to be high. Like literally saying a metro with 550k Blacks and another with 1.6 million should compare. The main thing Boston has more diversity in is Caribbean Blacks, and it's only like 25k people difference, but I get that by percentage Boston's is greater. There's almost a 150k difference in African continent foreign born Blacks from DC to Boston regions.

I think that Boston is top 5 in Black diversity, and probably not 5th, so I understand, but breaking down East/West/North, Africa alone, then sprinkling in about a 20-25k Black Caribbean difference, I don't see how DC isn't ahead. Even the Black "American" population within itself in DC area is probably the most varied in the country.
Boston and DC can't and shouldn't be compared because of this. They aren't peers. Also, Baltimore is within 30 minutes of DC so there are really 2.3 million Black people. The video I posted prior (I'll post it again) is someone from Baltimore driving to see Dexta Daps at Echo Stage in DC. The video starts with them leaving Baltimore City. The population pull for West Indian and African entertainment and cultural venues and events in DC is just so much larger than Boston which is why the crowds will be larger and the venues will be larger. I don't think many cities in America can compete with Echo Stage, Bliss, and Karma being walking distance from each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfIYJbIYUc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot2BBmQYbh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8M6SrSAh_k

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-14-2022 at 04:59 PM..

Old 10-14-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Boston and DC can't and shouldn't be compared because of this. They aren't peers. Also, Baltimore is within 30 minutes of DC so there are really 2.3 million Black people. The video I posted prior (I'll post it again) is someone from Baltimore going to see Dexta Daps at Echo Stage in DC. The population pull for entertainment and cultural venues in DC is just so much larger than Boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfIYJbIYUc0
Well of course not, at the CSA level DC+Balt region #2 total Black population in the nation. I mean he's right on the total amount of AA's being so great, maybe that dilutes things to bring it out the top spot. Which is why NYC is still #1 in not only total, but also diversity. But I wouldn't say that a UA/metro/or CSA with 1/5th the Black population, and also less individual countries of Black immigrants would be ahead of a top 2/3 Black region in the country. I don't even think Miami has a "more" diverse Black populace, it's probably tied at best. It's really a sea-saw balance because Miami dominates the Caribbean, and DC dominates in Africans (country by country) not just the continent.

There's some factors about Boston that DC may not eclipse like it's Caribbean immigrant diversity, but that is a small region of the world with small countries, and from what I believe I saw upthread even countries like Jamaica, DC has more immigrants. Again kudos to the Cape Verdean population it's very distinct and Boston/Providence is for sure their enclave, and there's more Haitians there. Otherwise DC shows it in volume and diversity IMO. The African countries that are sending immigrants to the US from are huge by comparison (save for Cape Verde).

Old 10-14-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:

If its top 5 then its not really asinine to say it leads DC, especially considering I lvied both places.

Again, Black Hispanic, linguistic diversity, and mixed race blacks all have to count. You can say they're not comparable- okay. But if you do compare them Boston is more diverse on a per capita basis which is typically how people assess diversity, or am I wrong?

Let's do something-well look at the city proper. Since it is Cities, right let's add that in Remember I'm a city boy, I lived in the CITY.

https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...T1Y2021.B04006

Africa...

Raw Number

DC leads in:
Nigerian
Ethiopian
Ghanaian
Ugandan
Liberian (60-person difference)
Senegalese
Sudanese
Sierra Leonean
Other African

Boston leads in:
Cape Verdean
Somali
Kenyan
Overall # of Sub-Sahran Africans

Per Capita DC Leads in:
Nigerian
Ethiopian
Ghanaian
Ugandan
Senegalese
Sudanese
Sierra Leonean

Per Capita Boston Leads in:
Cape Verdean
Somali
Kenyan
Other African
Liberian
% of Subsaharan Africans
-----------------------------------

Caribbean:

Quote:

There's some factors about Boston that DC may not eclipse like it's Caribbean immigrant diversity, but that is a small region of the world with small countries, and from what I believe I saw upthread even countries like Jamaica, DC has more immigrants. Again kudos to the Cape Verdean population it's very distinct and Boston/Providence is for sure their enclave, and there's more Haitians there. Otherwise DC shows it in volume and diversity IMO. The African countries that are sending immigrants to the US from are huge by comparison (save for Cape Verde).

Raw Number

DC leads in:
Bahamian
Trinidadian (3372 vs 3162)

Boston leads in:
Barbadian
Belizean
Bermudan
British West Indian
Haitian
Jamaican
Us Virgin Islander
Other West Indians
Overall #of West Indians

Per Capita:

DC Leads in:
Bahamian

Boston Leads in:

Barbadian
Belizean
Bermudan
British West Indian
Haitian
Jamaican
Trinidadian
Us Virgin Islander
Other West Indians
% of West Indians

Total Categories Raw Lead:

DC 11
Boston 11

Total # Sub Sharan Africans: Boston
Total #Caribbean lead: Boston

Total Categories Per Capita Lead:

DC 8
Boston 14.

Total % Sub Sharan Africans: Boston
Total %Caribbean lead: Boston

So we washed you in Caribbean Diversity.

Tell me again how its asinine to say Boston lead DC in black diversity?

You really called it asinine. And we haven't even touched black Dominican, Hondurans and Puerto Ricans. Like I said its not even close my man. Again- I lived it.

On a city level in raw numbers Boston beats DC by a cool 27,000+ West Indians and Africans LOL why am I even talking to yall fr. But im sure you want to pretend redlining and discriminatory lending practices dont concentrate the balck population in the inner city and suburban DC is the same as DC. Any other thread its no fo course. ITs DC ONLY. But here... lol.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-14-2022 at 05:22 PM..

Old 10-14-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
The population pull for West Indian and African entertainment and cultural venues and events in DC is just so much larger than Boston which is why the crowds will be larger and the venues will be larger.
Except for when comparing the crowd to similar years not 5 years apart.. the Boston onewas larger lmao.

Like I could pulla Burna Boy video in a huge venue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpW28RkNg2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJHKIJ1sef4

Thats a terrible barometer

Old 10-14-2022, 05:14 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Except for when comparing the crowd to similar years not 5 years apart.. the Boston onewas larger lmao.

Like I could pulla Burna Boy video in a huge venue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpW28RkNg2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJHKIJ1sef4

Thats a terrible barometer
Which part? DC's Black venues are larger across the city and that's where artists perform. What venues do Black artists normally perform at in Boston? Do you have links to them? I think the ability to pack out large Black venues regularly by African and West Indian artists is a great barometer for any metro area. You don't?

Old 10-14-2022, 05:14 PM

The city of Boston could take out all of the Cape Verdeans and we'd still have more Africans than Washington DC has West Indians.

If you removed all of our Haitians, we still have more West Indians. In fact, if you removed all the Haitians we have 20,000 West Indians and DC would have 25,000 Africans. And youd be crushed on a percapita basis. Numerically, we'd still have more West Indians and Africans than DC.

It's a waste of time to have to explain this further. You are entitled to your opinion but I think the math says you're wrong.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-14-2022 at 05:38 PM..

Old 10-14-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Which part? DC's venues are larger across the city and that's where artists perform. What venues do artists normally perform at in Boston? Do you have links to them? I think the ability to pack out large venues regularly by African and West Indian artists is a great barometer for any metro area. You don't?
Dawg... if the city has larger venues by default it gonna have more people in them. You just said that yourself.

No, I am absolutely not digging out the capacity of every venue. It goes without saying Boston packs out large venues for West Indian and African artists as you literally just saw. You can do the side project on your own.

The Burna Boy crowd is larger than the Dexta Daps crowd- doe that makes Boston more blackdiverse? No-because unlike you I won't ignore obvious control factors like the size of the available venue, the popularity of the artist, or at what point in his career he performs just to make a failed point.

The actual population makes Boston more black diverse. lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City