Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Faster pace?
Miami 16 14.16%
Atlanta 29 25.66%
Charlotte 7 6.19%
Dallas 14 12.39%
Houston 11 9.73%
Austin 13 11.50%
Nashville 19 16.81%
Raleigh 0 0%
New Orleans 4 3.54%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 09:19 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,279,474 times

Advertisements

This is limited to CBDs within southern metros, not the entirety of the metro area.

Most fast paced? Most improved since 2010? Most stagnant since 2010?

This should be interesting to see as most of the south’s major cities are urbanizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 09:38 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Hmm... Not saying this because I live here, but Orlando should be in this discussion, as its CBD is literally doubling in size with the addition of the UCF Downtown campus and the Creative Village...

My votes would be Austin and Orlando. For poll purposes, given the selection, Austin.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:41 AM

10,073 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Most fast paced: close but I gave Nashville the edge, due to the constant surge and flow of tourists on Lower Broadway--which is comparable to shoulder to shoulder sea of crowds you see in Times Square. Combine that with the incredible amount of construction projects, government workers in the capital area, and the workers/residents in the core of downtown, and Nashville edges other cities.

Others that even exceed the hustle & bustle of Nashville, but lack that major tourist surge are Atlanta, Dallas, Houston & Austin.

The most improved goes to Austin here.

The most stagnant goes to New Orleans.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:27 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The most stagnant goes to New Orleans.
I'm not seeing that at all.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:42 PM

Wish I could edit my post... Are we talking most fast-paced GROWTH or just most fast-paced in general (as in rat-race, NYC style?)
If the latter, I'd say Dallas. I love Atlanta, but its CDB is anything BUT fast-paced.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:36 PM

355 posts, read 469,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Wish I could edit my post... Are we talking most fast-paced GROWTH or just most fast-paced in general (as in rat-race, NYC style?)
If the latter, I'd say Dallas. I love Atlanta, but its CDB is anything BUT fast-paced.
Hmmm... interesting. I'm curious as to why you would say Dallas? I can see why you'd say outside the CBD, but inside?

Old 10-29-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Hmmm... interesting. I'm curious as to why you would say Dallas? I can see why you'd say outside the CBD, but inside?
It's really the only one to me that stands out as being "fast-paced," where people are running about on narrow streets in tightly-packed city blocks with a decent level of street-level density.
I was there for work one week and really felt like I was in a well-grounded urban environment.

I hate to use Googlemaps for anything here, but the image below pretty much describes my experience there:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7806...7i13312!8i6656

It's the only one I've seen (of the cities mentioned here) that has that noisy, busy urban vibe to it.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:32 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,398,598 times
That's a hard one. You really have to know the individual cities.

Charlotte's CBD is booming rapidly. The same probably goes for Nashville, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta. There's cases to be made for each, really.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:51 PM

10,073 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not seeing that at all.
With this criteria, I don't see it as "most improved," as compared to the others, since 2010. New Orleans development has not been robust.

It has a good flow of folks in the french quarter, but that is not the immediate downtown area. If you include the french quarter, then the bustle and energy increases.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:08 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
I am surprised Memphis and Louisville aren't on the list.

This is kind of a hard thread to give an answer to. Unless one has equal experience in all southern cities, it would be hard to come up with a balanced opinion. Tourism produces a different vibe compared to a downtown with a large workforce, rapid transit and useful amenities.

This year I've been to Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta and Dallas. To stay with the flow of the thread, I will leave Memphis out of my post.

Nashville is building like crazy. I think I've seen more growth and buildings going up than the other 2 cities I've visited. Most of the foot traffic is casual tourist traffic that doesn't hussle like it does in a big city.

Atlanta gets picked on a lot because of low density but I did feel the big city thing in Atlanta. I guess its because I took marta in from the airport to Five Points. It felt organic and yes the city felt alive but not like Chicago.

Dallas seemed a little bit more like a big city. I did not take dart into downtown but it seemed just a little busier.

I wish I could comment on the others especially Miami and Charlotte. Cities are changing so fast now. Things could definitely pop out ahead for Atlanta within a year or two but as of right now, I will give a slight advantage to Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City