Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicagoland or The Bay Area
Chicagoland 32 39.51%
The Bay Area 49 60.49%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 10:10 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
It is true, Chicago is particularly odd in that its street level businesses, whether it be downtown or in the surrounding neighborhoods aren't that dense/packed together. But I wouldn't say that makes Chicago have less of a big city feel. For me it's being surrounded by tons of skyscrapers, hardly being able to see in any direction without seeing one.

Which yes, SF's financial district is easily the biggest, most prominent, and impressive on the west coast (or really western half of the country). SF is no slouch for a downtown/CBD, but there's no comparison at all between SF and Chicago here. Chicago beats the hell out of SF in this category.

But SF beats the hell out of Chicago in terms of scenery, weather, innovation... quite a few categories.

That's what my original point was.... the two cities are just way different, and appeal to different lifestyles/preferences. I personally chose SF for this poll, I think it's a hell of a city and am trying to get out there to visit again ASAP.
See, for me “big city feel” is more about crowds of people and blocks packed with restaurants, stores, bars etc. to the point where you can discover something new even on a block you’ve been on many times before. And it’s less about skyscrapers. Now again the reason I think Chicago is more urban overall is because the scale is that much greater. But I think San Francisco-style urbanity better aligns with the hustle and bustle
I associate with a big city feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 10:11 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
In terms of scale, Chicago comes the closest. But in terms of vibrancy, big city crowds/feel, etc. - SF comes closer.
I strongly, strongly disagree.

Madison, north to Division, is seemingly the busiest ~2 mile stretch in the country outside of Manhattan. Add to it the destinations in that stretch like Millennium Park, Navy Pier, Michigan Ave, the river walk. Haven't even mentioned the beaches, Union Station, the rampant tourism, the boat cruises, the nightlife district(s). Nowhere in San Francisco contends with that stretch in terms of vibrancy, crowds, big city feel.

I think SF feels far more like DC, Boston, Philly than it does NYC or Chicago.

As for the poll, I'll live in The Bay Area. A house in Sausalito for me, please.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:43 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Anyhow, this Russian Hill townhouse is just dreamy. I love the rooftop living space and you get lovely sunset views of the Golden Gate Bridge. $25 Million is not bad.

This is my pic.

View from the street...

This is my pic.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:00 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
I'd pick Chicago for the summers. Summers too cold in San Francisco, and the city is too dense and crowded for my liking. Great views there though.

I would never be in either during the winter if I had $100 million, so even though Chicago winters are literally my definition of hell, I woudn't have to deal with them if I had that much money.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:16 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
If I'm living in the city of Chicago, a few areas I'd consider if I were filthy rich:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9172...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9088...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9150...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9026...!7i8124!8i4062

Lincoln Park, to me, is probably the most beautiful single family home streetscape in the country. Though I wish it had SFs topography, I love the architecture, the tree canopy, the grid streets, and the neighborly alleys where everyone hangs out on their garage rooftops or custom designed backyards. Accessibility to the beaches, harbors, and well positioned commercial areas helps, as does the food and nightlife in the neighborhood.

You'd think folks living in $5M-$50M homes wouldn't be hanging out on a garage, but they do.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:03 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
The Bay Area is showing to be slightly more appealing overall, but this looks to be a great matchup. It’s not like the Atlanta vs Dallas thread where (I expected similar results but) Atlanta blew Dallas out of the water.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
The Bay Area is showing to be slightly more appealing overall, but this looks to be a great matchup. It’s not like the Atlanta vs Dallas thread where (I expected similar results but) Atlanta blew Dallas out of the water.
Chicago is stunning and a centimillionaire would have a great time there no doubt-this is all about personal opinion.

Here's a cool pic from a house with a view in the Bay Area, in the $7M-$10M range. Not a bad price imo.

This is my pic

Old 11-10-2019, 10:35 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
If I had that much money, I'd buy in both places..

Old 11-10-2019, 10:43 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
San Francisco no contest. There's just so so so so so so so so SO much better scenery.... ....did I mention the scenery is so much better?
Depends if you're standing amidst the homeless. Google some pictures. I have some I can share, as well.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:17 AM

This thread has me rummaging through my old pics

I appreciate the mediterranean feel of many areas around the Bay...this doesnt even look like youre in the United States.

This is my pic

This is my pic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City