Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2019, 04:18 AM

741 posts, read 1,752,389 times

Advertisements

Between Louisville, KY and Cleveland, OH please advise which is a better place to raise a young family with two elementary school going kids and STEM (Science, Technology Engineering and Mathematcs) related career for the couple.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:19 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,523,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
Between Louisville, KY and Cleveland, OH please advise which is a better place to raise a young family with two elementary school going kids and STEM (Science, Technology Engineering and Mathematcs) related career for the couple.
I would pick Louisville. I do have a soft spot for the Cleveland/Akron area, but Louisville has a lot going for it. It's a nice, family friendly area too.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:13 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,679,653 times
OP-I think on a certain level-this is going to come down to two things-subjective preferences towards one area or another-and which opportunity you find to be best-truly-out of the two you can find the best opportunity is probably the city to pursue in any case.

The question your asking is more about where to raise kids-frankly, I think you could do well raising kids in either metro, though I guess in terms of specifics, you'd want to look at schools in each region-etc. I can tell you that education wise, Cleveland likely has more prestigious/highly rated high schools and such-that goes for multiple varieties (public and private)-not positive on specific numbers though-but I will tell you Cleveland has several ranked among top private and public high schools in the US. Cleveland has New England roots, thus education in various parts of the region is taken very seriously. With that having been said, and the fact Case is more academically prestigious than any college in Louisville too, I would also tell you that University of Louisville is a major public university campus which is a unique advantage for Louisville (not that Cleveland State isn't-but if I had to guess, Cleveland State is smaller compared to Louisville and perhaps doesn't have as many majors). With that said, perhaps it's too early to be thinking about college anyways.

Like I said: I think you could do well raising children in either metro, it just sort of comes down to what you like. My brief impressions are, at least, that:
1. Louisville is southern cultured, but with noticeable Midwestern influence to that
2. Louisville is a newer city in terms of built environment, etc. overall
3. UL has a heavy presence/influence, but there a number of other things going on as well
4. Louisville probably has better winters.. but less comfortable summers
5. Louisville is located on a pretty stretch of the Ohio River, and has the impressive Mammoth Cave NP an hour away

1. Cleveland is Midwestern cultured, but with a moderate Northeastern influence felt also-assuming more liberal overall
2. Cleveland is older, has a longer more traditional historic grid/built core, with a healthy mix of new/old suburbs around it
3. Not sure if this is notable to your employment search at all-but Cleveland Clinic/Healthcare in general is huge for area
4. Cleveland has colder and snowy winters (for better and worse lol-there's skiing!), but nicer/gorgeous summers
5. Cleveland is on a Great Lake, has 1 of the best County Park systems in the US, & Cuyahoga Valley NP 30 minutes south

I prefer Cleveland obviously of course-I think that given it's historical legacy, and increased metro size it offers more than Louisville does overall-but that doesn't necessarily make it better or worse for you though. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:02 PM

9,685 posts, read 9,406,200 times
Quote:
I would choose Louisville in a heartbeat. The city is a great place to raise a family. While Louisville is not a full fledged tech city, there are a number of new tech startups and growing related industries. Low cost of living and decent infrastructure makes the area a great choice.

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...wing-tech.html

https://louisvilleky.gov/city-servic...ic-development

Old 12-31-2019, 04:16 PM

10,073 posts, read 14,453,980 times
Quote:
There will be better and higher paying career opportunities in the Cleveland metro area.

Louisville might be a bit better to raise a family.

Cost-wise, both are decently affordable. Louisville has milder winters, while Cleveland has a lot of snow, and colder.

Cleveland is also much larger than Louisville, and there are "big city" amenities there, that Louisville just does not have. Louisville is a regional city, while Cleveland is a major metro area. But that may not be of importance to your family and the requirements.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:09 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,108,229 times
As I've said in other posts, I visited Louisville on business last summer and was pleasantly surprised. It's a very old, nice and comfortable city with many walkable neighborhoods and there's plenty to do. But Louisville is not in Cleveland's league as a city on any level. This the comparison of a major league city/metro area vs. moderate/small city.

Whatever positives Louisville has, Cleveland has more. And esp in things like the arts, suburban living and public transportation, Louisville has none of these, appreciably, while Cleveland excels. It is noted for, obviously, the Kentucky Derby, Muhammad Ali (and museum) and the Louisville Slugger (and its interesting museum).

And as for higher ed, while Cleveland is no Boston or Philly in terms of its number of high quality colleges and universities, it's pretty strong with Case, John Carroll, BW and CSU within/near Cleveland's borders. University of Louisville is a good state university with a very attractive campus. But academically, it's not near Case's level. It does rank about CSU, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City