Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Of these cities, who wins
Miami 31 41.33%
Atlanta 9 12.00%
Seattle 35 46.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 12:52 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What do you mean by this? Atlanta may not be particularly dense, but its rail system is extremely effective, and serves the most critical nodes (for the most part.) I use it all the time when I go there, and I love it.
I absolutely cannot stand when folks font as if MARTA is pointless and goes no where. Like stop with that nonsense.

Whether you fly or drive into Atlanta, if you’re in the city, MARTA hits nearly all of the places you’d even want to visit. Unless you’re going into residential Buckhead, which I can understand them not needing or wanting heavy rail or transit in their neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 12:53 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
I was going to make mention about how the source of wealth in each city that produces the (appearance of) sophistication, culture, shininess, flashiness, etc affects our perception of how these sorts of characteristics are conveyed in each city. In Miami, there's no question that a big chunk of it is due to money from overseas that gets parked in Miami or invested in real estate or what have you. But a good chunk of it also has to do with demographics and geography, sort of like LA. In Seattle's case, the underlying factors appear to be primarily economic due to the rapid growth of Amazon primarily but also Microsoft, Starbucks, and other locally-based companies. Not being as familiar with Seattle, it would also seem as though demographics (a large Asian population) and UW also play a role. And as it has been stated at least in this thread, Atlanta is something of a cross between the two. Like Miami, Atlanta's demographics and notable/highly visible aspects of its economy are intertwined here (Black population/hip hop and R&B industry), you have the influences of the burgeoning TV/film industry, and like Seattle, you can clearly see the impacts of locally-based companies, some of which relocated to Atlanta from elsewhere, and prominent business leaders/CEOs on the newer and shinier parts of the urban fabric. You also have GA Tech in the mix on that front also.

As far as the criterion about innovative restaurants, it would seem as though Miami and Seattle have an edge over Atlanta here due to the more visible influences of their foreign-born populations and their coastal locations.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:28 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,667,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Seattle feels the most affluent/educated of the three. But Miami is the most glamorous, with a flashy, global feel. Atlanta seems to be somewhat in the middle. It has more of the posh, flashy big money feel than Seattle and more of an educated upper middle class hub than Miami.
This. (/thread). Miami has the most posh/upscale upper class feel, but also has the most blue collar/working class areas surrounding it. Seattle is probably the most understated in displaying wealth, and also likely has the lowest poverty, etc. rates, and Atlanta is of course, right in the middle.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:09 PM

10 posts, read 5,317 times
1. Seattle followed closely by 2. Miami
3. Atlanta

Old 01-12-2020, 06:48 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
A lot of the more splashy establishments (expensive shopping, lambos parked outside, nice clubs) in the Seattle area are actually located in downtown Bellevue, the suburb across the lake from Seattle. Seattle itself is actually pretty grungy and understated like the music genre it founded. Most of the million dollar homes in Seattle are simple Craftsman. There aren't many gated neighborhoods in the city either. Millionaires park their cars on the street like everyone else. Seattle in many ways is the polar opposite of Miami.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:08 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,648,695 times
Miami
Atlanta
Seattle

Old 01-12-2020, 07:43 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,276,819 times
I know same here have qualified there Seattle vote, others haven’t... but does Seattle have a scene like this:

This is what going out is like most weekends in Atlanta:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Jn5uIgUVk

Miami an every day thing it appears:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vLTAP3kaAkw

I can see Seattle leading this poll for sophistication and development, but it seems some posters think it outclasses Miami and Atlanta in upscale things as well, please provide pics and links. I’m genuinely curious.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:01 PM

3,526 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Miami blows the other two out of the water in terms of posh and cultural flamboyancy.

Seattle is definitely the most sophisticated/reserved, whether it be metro or city proper

Atlanta is a happy medium of the two with a southern twang added to the mix

Old 01-12-2020, 09:41 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Miami blows the other two out of the water in terms of posh and cultural flamboyancy.

Seattle is definitely the most sophisticated/reserved, whether it be metro or city proper

Atlanta is a happy medium of the two with a southern twang added to the mix
This is actually pretty accurate, with the exception of Miami being the most cultural. Seattle being the most reserved is very true, though.

Atlanta and Seattle are every bit as cultural as Miami, and I would argue they both surpass it in several categories. But neither Atlanta nor Seattle have anything comparable to Miami's Art Basel.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:12 PM

3,526 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is actually pretty accurate, with the exception of Miami being the most cultural. Seattle being the most reserved is very true, though.

Atlanta and Seattle are every bit as cultural as Miami, and I would argue they both surpass it in several categories. But neither Atlanta nor Seattle have anything comparable to Miami's Art Basel.
cultural flamboyancy... The culture in Miami and a good slug of its metro is all about showing off your wealth.

I do agree Seattle & Atlanta surpass it in other cultural areas/categories though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City