Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 10:24 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
The historic American Cigar Factory building in downtown Greenville is one example of adaptive reuse in the area.

https://www.scpictureproject.org/gre...r-factory.html

They did this project over 20 years ago.
There are shipping containers in downtown Greenville that have been renovated for 13 restaurants which seems to be an extreme example of adaptive reuse of old buildings.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/restau...ville/30981924
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 05:28 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
There are shipping containers in downtown Greenville that have been renovated for 13 restaurants which seems to be an extreme example of adaptive reuse of old buildings.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/restau...ville/30981924
This looks really neat. Thanks for sharing. Quite a few cities are boarding the food hall train these days. The outdoor aspect/shipping container has a great aesthetic. Greenville with the "restaurant collective" branding. They have one great city marketing team.

Old 02-23-2020, 12:36 PM

Gather Greenville is a private development. I don't see the connection to city marketing.

I don't think Greenville's city marketing is anything special. Their motto 'Yeah THAT Greenville' doesn't mention the waterfall and I don't think most people understand what they mean by it. I originally thought it was based on the premise that people wouldn't expect Greenville to be nice and they are trying to indicate it is nice now. It is referring to there being 30 plus Greenvilles in the country and Gville supposedly is the one with the buzz. I find that kind of disrespectful.

If they started referring to Greenville as the Waterfall City and had a slogan like Chase Waterfalls in Waterfall City, tourism would double in a year. Maybe not because I don't think city marketing is the main reason people hear about Greenville. It is a word of mouth thing and the proximity to the Blue Ridge generates a natural interest in it among outside oriented people.

If I was a mayor crazy about population growth, I would propose changing the name of the city to Waterfall City. That would be the best marketing and you wouldn't have to pay for it.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-23-2020 at 12:48 PM..

Old 02-23-2020, 12:50 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I don't think Greenville's city marketing is anything special. Their motto 'Yeah THAT Greenville' doesn't mention the waterfall and I don't think most people understand what they mean by it. I originally thought it was based on the premise that people wouldn't expect Greenville to be nice and they are trying to indicate it is nice now. It is referring to there being 30 plus Greenvilles in the country.
You may not think the motto itself is anything special, but the marketing campaign has been quite extensive and has paid off handsomely for the city:
https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...95c6c22d5.html

Old 02-23-2020, 06:04 PM

That article doesn't prove most people hear about Greenville because of marketing by the city or choose to visit Greenville because marketing by the city. A lot of people don't listen to the radio or flip the station during commercials.

To see their marketing on the internet and social media, a person would have to already have an interest in Greenville which would most likely come from hearing about it from a friend, family member, coworker, etc.

There's nothing that Gville does marketing wise that is any different than marketing other cities do.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
That article doesn't prove most people hear about Greenville because of marketing by the city or choose to visit Greenville because marketing by the city. A lot of people don't listen to the radio or flip the station during commercials.
Nobody claimed that "most people" hear about Greenville through marketing efforts. But apparently the marketing campaign piqued the interests of a significant number of people in Greenville, which is what such a marketing blitz is intended to do.

Quote:
To see their marketing on the internet and social media, a person would have to already have an interest in Greenville which would most likely come from hearing about it from a friend, family member, coworker, etc.
That was part of the genius of the marketing campaign which encouraged Greenville residents and businesses to use the #yeahthatgreenville tagline on social media. That represented an intentional, concerted effort on the part of city tourism leaders.

Quote:
There's nothing that Gville does marketing wise that is any different than marketing other cities do.
How are you even able to substantiate such a broad and far-ranging statement?

Old 02-24-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:

I didn't know about the city until I saw the ad campaigns. They run them a lot in the Nashville market. I hope you are not discrediting their work.

https://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/tr...s/advertising/

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/directory.aspx?eid=769

I emailed Nicole to see if she could provide any statistics on how much the ad campaigns have made a difference.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I didn't know about the city until I saw the ad campaigns. They run them a lot in the Nashville market. I hope you are not discrediting their work.

I emailed Nicole to see if she could provide any statistics on how much the ad campaigns have made a difference.
It's an objective fact that Greenville has significantly increased its marketing efforts using various media platforms and it has truly paid off for the city. I also don't know why one would discredit the hard work their beloved city has done here.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

I never said they made no difference. I don't think most people hear about Greenville though radio ads and only a small percentage who hear the ads decide to visit.

Greenville is a fast growing city that has a lot of transplants who will make family and friends aware. A lot of engineers and other people will come to meet with clients or attend conferencess in Gville and mention it to friends

There are also a lot of out of state students at Clemson, Furman and other area universities who spread the word on the shining waterfall city nestled in the foothills of the majestic blue ridge.

Most blue ridge fans will know about Greenville from their own initiative. The blue ridge and relatively warm climate has always been greenville's best marketing and it is free

The city has a great tourism website but people have to actively be searching for info on Greenville or be given the link by somebody like me.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-24-2020 at 07:59 AM..

Old 02-25-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I never said they made no difference. I don't think most people hear about Greenville though radio ads and only a small percentage who hear the ads decide to visit.

Greenville is a fast growing city that has a lot of transplants who will make family and friends aware. A lot of engineers and other people will come to meet with clients or attend conferencess in Gville and mention it to friends

There are also a lot of out of state students at Clemson, Furman and other area universities who spread the word on the shining waterfall city nestled in the foothills of the majestic blue ridge.

Most blue ridge fans will know about Greenville from their own initiative. The blue ridge and relatively warm climate has always been greenville's best marketing and it is free

The city has a great tourism website but people have to actively be searching for info on Greenville or be given the link by somebody like me.
What you originally stated seemed to diminish the city's marketing efforts is all I was pointing out. I contacted Nicole and she directed me to Megan Byrd. Here is her response:

Hi Shakeesha, thank you for your support for the marketing efforts of VisitGreenvilleSC. Each year, we create a “Purpose Book,” which is a small printed piece that helps others easily digest the “stats” you reference below. If you are near our office and would like to pick-up a few copies, we’d be happy to leave some at the front desk for you: 148 River Street, Suite 100 Greenville SC 29601 – or we could even mail a few to you as well – let me know an address. Attached are two examples of the pages of this booklet.

Thanks again for reaching out –

Megan

Megan Byrd

THAT Director of Marketing

mbyrd@visitgreenvillesc.com

148 River Street, Suite 100

Greenville, SC 29601

864. 561.5877

www.visitgreenvillesc.com

The attachments stated these impressive stats:

"Tourism helps lift Greenville residents household tax burden by $895 annually. Tourism creates 10,600 jobs and $273 million in annual wages and salaries. The 2018 Greenville hotel occupancy rate was 71%." I highly doubt that "word of mouth" was the deciding factor visitors used to choose Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City