Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Museums Raleigh or Nashville
Raleigh, NC 21 53.85%
Nashville, TN 18 46.15%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 11:51 PM

13 posts, read 9,501 times

Advertisements

Both are southern capitols with a growing population. What do ya'll think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 06:53 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
I think Raleigh wins this. Nashville clearly has more to do in general, but I think Raleigh has better, more varied museums that are inexpensive or free.

Raleigh has a wonderful set of museums. Natural sciences, NC Museum of Art, NC Museum of History, and a great kids museum (Marbles). Also several smaller and historic museums. Contemporary Art, Museum of Design at NC State, several historic homes, e.t.c. And if you count the larger triangle the lead gets even greater with some really nice museums in Durham most notably the museum of life and science and the Nasher at Duke.

Nashville obviously has the Country Music Hall of Fame which is great but isn't cheap. Lots of "museums" for specific music stars but they are pretty specialized and in my opinion more like attractions then actual museums. There's also the 1st art museum and the answer science and her but I think there are equivalents in Raleigh are nicer.

I think if country music is a particular interest to you then nashville overall might be better but I think for the vast majority of people the collection in Raleigh and especially in the larger triangle beats out what is in available in Nashville although Nashville is definitely no slouch.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:12 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Nashville will also be getting the National Museum of African American Music, which is under construction but opening this summer.

https://nmaam.org/

Will be an incredible addition to an already good museum collection in Nashville.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:53 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I think Raleigh wins this. Nashville clearly has more to do in general, but I think Raleigh has better, more varied museums that are inexpensive or free.

Raleigh has a wonderful set of museums. Natural sciences, NC Museum of Art, NC Museum of History, and a great kids museum (Marbles). Also several smaller and historic museums. Contemporary Art, Museum of Design at NC State, several historic homes, e.t.c. And if you count the larger triangle the lead gets even greater with some really nice museums in Durham most notably the museum of life and science and the Nasher at Duke.

Nashville obviously has the Country Music Hall of Fame which is great but isn't cheap. Lots of "museums" for specific music stars but they are pretty specialized and in my opinion more like attractions then actual museums. There's also the 1st art museum and the answer science and her but I think there are equivalents in Raleigh are nicer.

I think if country music is a particular interest to you then nashville overall might be better but I think for the vast majority of people the collection in Raleigh and especially in the larger triangle beats out what is in available in Nashville although Nashville is definitely no slouch.
I agree with this /\

Old 02-16-2020, 02:07 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Nashville will also be getting the National Museum of African American Music, which is under construction but opening this summer.

Will be an incredible addition to an already good museum collection in Nashville.
I am so excited for this! My dad and his fraternity have been involved in fundraising efforts.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:02 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Better? Can't say for sure but I think Nashville has a more interesting collection of museums which include both state museums and large/important local museums (the music-oriented museums, the Hermitage, the Parthenon). Being that Raleigh wasn't nearly as large and important a city historically as Nashville, it lacks the sort of local museums Nashville has.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:18 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I am so excited for this! My dad and his fraternity have been involved in fundraising efforts.
Oh yeah? That's so great!

It will be such an incredible and original showcase for this specific music genre. I can't wait to check it out.

Nashville has a great variety of museums for its size.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:26 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
I believe as well that Nashville has a greater local (e.g. Hermitage, Parthenon) and specialty cultural (e.g. Country Music) museum vibe celebrating heritage. Raleigh (and the Triangle area) really excels in its Natural Sciences/History museums and its children’s offerings, as well as it’s fine art museums. Both regions are still top notch, punching above their weight, and I’d personally call it more a draw.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:14 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

Yeah,,, I can't wait for the National Museum of African American Music in Nashville either,, so excited for this one personally.. I like how they are adding more flavor and diversity to Broadway!
https://www.wsmv.com/news/davidson_c...4315e1b1f.html

Last edited by oobanks; 02-17-2020 at 10:24 AM..

Old 04-09-2020, 10:46 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Yeah,,, I can't wait for the National Museum of African American Music in Nashville either,, so excited for this one personally.. I like how they are adding more flavor and diversity to Broadway!
https://www.wsmv.com/news/davidson_c...4315e1b1f.html
According to the website, the museum is still on track to open Labor Day.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City