Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 05:17 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
And it is showing in the numbers that poverty makes the spread of the virus worse. Detroit and New Orleans are both poor cities and it’s one reason (among many) that things are bad there. I get that Detroit has a lot of prosperity in parts of the city and the suburbs but once it gets loose in poorer areas, it can spread much more easily in other areas.
The only way this makes sense is if you consider that lower income workers typically work in retail and fast food establishments. That is to say those with low wage jobs are more exposed to a wider swath of the general public and therefore have a higher likelihood of catching the virus compared to white-collar workers who have the ability to work remotely.

It has nothing to do with where people live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 05:43 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
The only way this makes sense is if you consider that lower income workers typically work in retail and fast food establishments. That is to say those with low wage jobs are more exposed to a wider swath of the general public and therefore have a higher likelihood of catching the virus compared to white-collar workers who have the ability to work remotely.

It has nothing to do with where people live.
How could it possibly not?

You look at some places that are exploding with cases and others of a similar size and demographic aren’t. The virus has a geographical component.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:40 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
How could it possibly not?

You look at some places that are exploding with cases and others of a similar size and demographic aren’t. The virus has a geographical component.
Because people generally don't interact with their neighbors with great regularity or intimacy. Most people spend several plus hours a day with coworkers and, especially if they're a low wage earner, the general public.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:30 AM

372 posts, read 449,749 times
Mardi Gras really hurt the New Orleans area. I think it’s important to note that a large majority of Louisiana numbers are from New Orleans. Of course because it’s the biggest metro but it makes it look like the whole state is on fire but it’s mostly just that area faring pretty bad.

This is likely due to Mardi Gras. I don’t know if any of you guys have been to Louisiana during the week of Mardi Gras or leading up to it but it’s not just one big parade on Tuesday and everybody go home. There were several parades across the state and several in New Orleans leading up to Mardi Gras. Kids get out a whole week of school for it.

So several large gatherings in an already heavy tourist spot. Now pile that on top of us being number 50 for health lol. I’m not surprised. But it’s not enough to just say poverty is why. If that’s the case Mississippi should be on fire as well.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:47 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,089 times
The Albuquerque metro is now at 48.9 cases per 100,000 people, with 449 cases overall. There have been 10 deaths in the Albuquerque metro so far. The state of New Mexico is at 37.7 cases per 100,000 people, with 794 cases overall. There have been 13 deaths overall in the state so far.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:40 PM

I think there are two ways to look at this that are not necessarily related: death rate and case rate.

Case Rate By County as of Today (all over 500 per 100,000 - 1/2 of 1%):
Rockland, NY: 1,981 (almost 2% of entire population!!)
Blaine, ID: 1,946
Westchester, NY: 1,640
Nassau, NY: 1,367
Orleans, LA: 1,301
Randolph, GA: 1,157
Dougherty, GA: 1,083
Suffolk, NY: 1,065
Terrell, GA: 1,050
Orange, NY: 1,022
St. John the Baptist, LA: 994
New York, NY: 969
Early, GA: 947
Jefferson, LA: 940
Union, NJ: 869
Passaic, NJ: 867
St. James, LA: 847
Bergen, NJ: 847
Hudson, NJ: 807
Lee, GA: 709
Essex, NJ: 705
Eagle, CO: 685
St. Bernard, LA: 665
St. Charles, LA: 662
Summit, UT: 655
Gunnison, CO: 575
Sumter, GA: 554
Plaqamines, LA: 526
Greer, OK: 521
Iberville, LA: 519
Wayne, MI: 514
Middlesex, NJ: 503
Morris, NJ: 500

Here are the biggest Death Rates of mentioned counties per 100,000:
Terrell, GA: 102
St. John the Baptist, LA: 83
Dougherty, GA: 67
New York, NY: 54
Orleans, LA: 53
Nassau, NY: 52
Lee, GA: 51
Greer, OK: 50
Early, GA: 48
Randolph, GA: 42
St. Charles, LA: 36
Bergen, NJ: 35
Jefferson, LA: 34
Essex, NJ: 34
St. James, LA: 33
Westchester, NY: 32
Plaqamines, LA: 30
Rockland, NY: 30
Iberville, LA: 27
Union, NJ: 23
Wayne, MI: 23
Suffolk, NY: 22
St. Bernard, LA: 22
Hudson, NJ: 18
Orange, NY: 18
Blaine, ID: 18
Sumter, GA: 17
Middlesex, NJ: 17
Passaic, NJ: 14
Eagle, CO: 9
Gunnison, CO: 6
Summit, UT: 0

Based on this, we can at least identify where the biggest issues are:
1) New York City Area
2) New Orleans Area
3) Southwest Georgia
4) Detroit Area
5) Skiing Resort Counties of the Mountain West

Those are not the only places with issues. Far from it. But those are the ones where things are the worst.

There is also a VERY clear tie between high death rate and poverty. The death rates in Louisiana and Georgia are appalling.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 04-08-2020 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-09-2020, 08:28 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Good work on the NY area for starting to have less cases and flattening the curve a little bit.

I still don't know what to make of California and Washington's numbers. It may be a few things:

1) The early shutdowns have actually worked in their favor, which flattened the curve a bit (the least popular answer, I know)
2) The states aren't as aggressively as testing as say - New York or New Jersey. It's not because of something nefarious but if testing is only restricted to those who have symptoms, it could explain a lot.
3) Something I thought of but could be a contributing factor - many people on the West Coast were already exposed to COVID-19 before it became a national issue and had already recovered by the time the lockdowns and testing really started ramping up.

The ties to Asia thing would be a much more major factor two or three months ago when COVID-19 was an Asian thing, but now that it's become worldwide, its not nearly as much of a factor.

Remember, the curve for every city is going to be different because of when the crisis started in each area. And to think, there's most likely going to be a second wave of this in a few months.
There was a 'bug' that was going around here in Dec-Jan. I remember getting sick as hell and wondering wth is up with me, shortness of breath, fever, chills, weakness in my joints, I even went to the doctor and he gave me antibiotics--it lasted a good week and then I recovered. In hindsight and looking at the movement btwn here and Asia and how this virus spread, I think I probably had covid-19.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
There was a 'bug' that was going around here in Dec-Jan. I remember getting sick as hell and wondering wth is up with me, shortness of breath, fever, chills, weakness in my joints, I even went to the doctor and he gave me antibiotics--it lasted a good week and then I recovered. In hindsight and looking at the movement btwn here and Asia and how this virus spread, I think I probably had covid-19.
You should go get an antibody test

Old 04-09-2020, 08:41 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Also Washington has the “luck” of the first cluster being in a nursing home. A not very mobile population. Around the same time Massachusetts has its first major cluster from Buisness conference. Which is a group of people that interact with others way more. In Ohio it was a family retiring from vacation. A pretty easily isolated group. As a result Massachusetts now has many more cases than the other two states.

Not only that but compared to the west coast I think the East Coast is likely to have overlapping clusters just because of how close everything is to each other. Like New York’s outbreak is basically why CT has Corona in the first place and it’s feeding the other states around it.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:12 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,371 times
Quote:
That's plausible, it was said that Corona 19 was already around in November. A lot of people probably had it and recovered from it already. Southwest GA's spread is interesting to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City