Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Place to Move to?
Milwaukee 20 43.48%
St. Louis 26 56.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,300 times

Advertisements

This question has been asked before, but most of those threads I've noticed appear rather old. I have an opportunity to either work in Saint Louis, or in Milwaukee, and I'm wondering which place will be better overall (ignoring the current corvid issue; imagine it doesn't exist right now) for me to move to.

Some Notes:
- I don't have a car and will be relying on public transportation and walking. I know Saint Louis has a metro and Milwaukee recently released The Hop tram system, but that's my extent of knowledge.

- Both job opportunities are as public school teachers, so teaching benefits and the treatment of teachers in the city/state matter. For the sake of comparison, we'll say that the salary and benefits offered to me are within margin of error of each other.

- Going by the 1/3 rent rule, my max rent would be $1100, and it'd have to have one hella view for me to pay that.

- I would be interested in investing in property within five years in whatever area I move to. Saint Louis has nicer looking duplexes (that also cost more), but Milwaukee's appear to be cheaper and in more abundance.

- Rent seems slightly cheaper for slightly nicer apartments in St. Louis, but I just browsed Zillow and Apartments.com, so feel free to chime in. The cheaper (and nicer), the better.

- I don't go out much, don't care for sports, and don't drink (because I'm so square that I'm cubed) so nightlife doesn't matter much right now, though I would be interested in nightlife later on if it means meeting new people . I do enjoy going to thrift stores (and garage sales) a lot, so having an abundance of those would be nice.

- The gayer and queerer, the better.

- I care about uncapped data and fast internet speeds. Don't know how much that matters for area.

- I live in Mass, where the weather is typically determined via a game of ethereal Yahtzee, so I'm used to the cold and I'm used to the heat.

- If you think there's something that I just gotta have in once city over the other that I didn't think of, I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 08:39 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
My knowledge of Milwaukee is minimal.

If you are moving to St. Louis without a car, I would look in to Downtown, Midtown and Central West End. Maplewood (good school district) has some pretty good options in your price range. Southside neighborhoods along Grand and also the south Kingshighway corridor should be good for frequent bus transportation as well with no LRT at this time. Do you know where you would be working? Traveling from city to suburb in St Louis can be over an hour commute. Traveling from suburb to suburb may be long or impossible.

St. Louis is pretty gay friendly as I'm sure Milwaukee is too. Sexual orientation should be a non issue in either city.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:59 AM

201 posts, read 219,676 times
Yeah, it honestly sounds like either city would work well for you, but my biased ass likes St. Louis much better. You should definitely pick St. Louis if you like chess. Not familiar with this new Milwaukee transportation system, but I heard about a year ago or maybe two is that public transit was not that strong over there.

With more knowledge of your hobbies/quirks/traits/aspirations, maybe I can elaborate a little more haha.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:43 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,786 times
Either place but they’ll probably be a shock compared to Mass. The way I see it is you’re going to be working a lot and bars, restaurants and places to see and social life opportunities will be probably about the same. With Milwaukee you’re very close to Chicago and you have a beautiful lake to take advantage of and that would be the decider for me.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:53 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Not many from Milwaukee on this forum. Anyway, Milwaukee...no contest. Lake Michigan, proximity to Chicago, and the city, itself.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:31 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
I would choose Milwaukee. The city is better and the scenery is really nice. I would not want to live in a place that is declining.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:25 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Another vote for Milwaukee. Lake Michigan, Madison, Chicago, etc. I think , esp coming from MA, that Wisconsin would be more compatible than Missouri. ( Disclaimer--I once lived in Madison, and have lived in MA for decades).

Old 03-21-2020, 02:47 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,512 times
St. Louis has better cultural attractions and transit. Milwaukee (if you are good with cold) has the lake and proximity to Chicago. Both rate a perfect 100 on the equality index. Pretty even IMO.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:24 AM

162 posts, read 155,148 times
Milwaukee is a highly underrated city imo. It's a pretty fun city, low COL, and has very nice scenery with the lake. It's kind of like a mini Chicago, but definitely its own animal. Chicago is so close too if you want to take a day trip.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:44 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I would choose Milwaukee. The city is better and the scenery is really nice. I would not want to live in a place that is declining.
Are you writing that Milwaukee is healthier economically or the quality of life is better? What msa is in decline more? I personally don't think you like St. Louis at all and that is ok. But to think that St. Louis is in such decline over Milwaukee is beyond misinformed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City