Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Skyscraper Booming City Will Be Impacted Most By Economic Slowdown?
Seattle 9 9.57%
San Francisco 4 4.26%
Los Angeles 0 0%
Las Vegas 24 25.53%
Phoenix 3 3.19%
Austin 5 5.32%
Denver 1 1.06%
Chicago 4 4.26%
Nashville 11 11.70%
Atlanta 4 4.26%
Charlotta 2 2.13%
Miami 17 18.09%
New York City 24 25.53%
Philadelphia 1 1.06%
Boston 5 5.32%
Other City--Name it 6 6.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 06:24 PM

19 posts, read 10,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
You’re forgetting about Avalon, the Alcott, the Raffles, and South Station tower. Course, I guess the Raffles tower will only be ~400ft. Also both the Hub and Bulfinch projects are composed of 2 towers.
Wiki lists skyscrapers at 150m or 494 ft. Avalon is 449 ft, Alcott is 487 ft, the Raffles is 390 ft, and the shorter Bulfinch tower is 299 ft.

The south station tower and hub resi tower are the ones I forgot about. They meet the min. height limit. That puts BOS at 7 skyscrapers. Thats not too shabby but many cities have been better. BOS has done more in the last 5 yrs than Atlanta this century but NYC, Chicago, SF, MIA, etc all built more than Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 06:33 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3RO View Post
the shorter Bulfinch tower is 299 ft.
*shortest of 3. The residential tower is 480ft and the office tower is 520ft.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:46 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Austin in the list but no Houston or Dallas?

Old 03-27-2020, 12:40 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Construction, not necessarily “skyscrapers”, starting to become effected in Miami—if only at a small scale (2 projects) thus far:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mia...241529376.html

Old 03-27-2020, 12:58 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Construction, not necessarily “skyscrapers”, starting to become effected in Miami—if only at a small scale (2 projects) thus far:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mia...241529376.html
One thing that's come to my attention (being in MEP engineering, this was crucial to me) is that construction is highly dependent on city/county. Orlando/Orange County classifies Architectural&Engineering to be "essential," therefore we continue to work, whereas the City of Austin does not, and (as of right now) all construction projects must come to a halt by 5PM today.

So, ironically, in this case, Orlando is continuing, while Austin is not. Complete opposite of what I expected.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:01 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Yes, and so far construction is also considered/remains “essential” in Miami...passed a hotel site at Mary Brickell Village this morning that is all systems go. Closings referenced in above article were site /covid19 specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
One thing that's come to my attention (being in MEP engineering, this was crucial to me) is that construction is highly dependent on city/county. Orlando/Orange County classifies Architectural&Engineering to be "essential," therefore we continue to work, whereas the City of Austin does not, and (as of right now) all construction projects must come to a halt by 5PM today.

So, ironically, in this case, Orlando is continuing, while Austin is not. Complete opposite of what I expected.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:29 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Denver's been slowing down significantly from a couple of years ago and the recent oil price plunge will probably kill a lot of potential projects as oil and gas are a decent chunk of the economy. The rents have stabilized and while home prices are high, land prices for new development are even higher, which is causing the market to freeze up. From the crane studded skyline of 2016-2017, Denver now mostly has cranes on projects finishing up. Beyond that, I don't think too much in the pipeline, at least nothing to compare to the recent boom, where 100 story skyscrapers were being floated around.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:10 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3RO View Post
Dallas and Houston both have more and taller skyscrapers under construction than Atlanta and some others but get left out?
Uhh..Dallas being left out is actually a GOOD thing...not a bad one.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I voted Nashville. Given that it just suffered severe tornado damage downtown, it may well have more trouble recovering from this than most places. It's actually made me reconsider the possibility of leaving Middle Tennessee altogether.
I disagree. Nashville is one large construction zone. That hasn't stopped. The permanently closed businesses will be replaced given Nashville's desirability. Cities that were already struggling/declining will have a much tougher time after the pandemic calms down.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:36 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I voted Nashville. Given that it just suffered severe tornado damage downtown, it may well have more trouble recovering from this than most places. It's actually made me reconsider the possibility of leaving Middle Tennessee altogether.
There's no severe tornado destruction downtown--it's in Germantown and East Nashville.

Nashville has one of the more diverse economies in the US, so I tend to think it will be stronger than most cities during this downturn--if there is one.

Nashville has approximately 12-16 high rises under construction now. A lot of them are hotels, but also many office towers and residential--a decent mix.

I think economies that are not very diverse, or economies that have super expensive housing, may get hit with more stalled projects. I voted for New York, Miami and Vegas.

Miami could slow significantly--but I think a large part of that is due to how Latin American money slows with their investments and construction there. Tourism will take a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City