Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most distinguishable at street level
Chicago 7 5.51%
Philadelphia 12 9.45%
New York 28 22.05%
Phoenix 3 2.36%
Las Vegas 12 9.45%
Los Angeles 4 3.15%
San Diego 0 0%
Miami 7 5.51%
Houston 0 0%
Atlanta 2 1.57%
Dallas 0 0%
New Orleans 16 12.60%
Memphis 0 0%
Portland 0 0%
Washington D.C. 11 8.66%
Baltimore 2 1.57%
Seattle 3 2.36%
Other 20 15.75%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 04:33 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
No way man. People outside of Boston don't even adventure into neighborhoods that have the triple deckers. There is no association with them, at all.
I mean, by that logic no city is distinguishable. I think the OP is assuming a baseline knowledge of the city and it’s general appearance.

If you know nothing about New Orleans, then you wouldn’t recognize it at street level no matter how famous its streets and neighborhoods may be to the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Those Boston 3 flats will look normal anywhere in the New England area.
Post some examples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 04:34 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
I know what you're saying. Boston is the answer because no other city has triple decker neighborhoods. I get it.

So to you, and others familiar with Boston, it's a valid answer.

My point is that, to most, it's not. That's all. So, I perceive the original question to be targeted towards the masses. Probably why Boston wasn't even in the poll.
The original poster is from the California And very very interested in the Bay Area so I assume that’s why -he knows nothing about Boston. But also San Francisco wasn’t included in the original poll.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
This guy thinks Boston is so special.

I can say the same thing about Chicago and its 3 flats.

But guess what? You can drop some 3 flats in st louis or Milwaukee and it wouldn't look out of place.

They’re not even three flats and they’re very different than Chicago’s.. they’re never brick. The brick 3 flats in Chicago can be found in Hartford CT and many other places. They’re just most common in Chicago. The wooden nature of triple deckers make them unique for apartment buildings.

Whereas Vermont and Connecticut barely have triple deckers. Streetview New Haven. You’ll be hard pressed to find a triple decker. We’re also discussing unique MAJOR cities. There are no other major cities in New England

People are in here saying DC! Which is largely garden style apartments and row houses that you see all over the mid-Atlantic nothing literally unique about DCs streets cape other than a height limit and the National monuments ...or LA which looks like a ton of places in SoCal.. and someone just said Las Vegas which looks nearly identical to Phoenix

but even that argument is flawed because just because I could hypothetically place a building elsewhere doesn’t mean anything (that’s just another tactic to avoid REALITY)

If we’re talking about media/tourist spots or actual lived reality Matters, a lot.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:47 PM

1 Boston
2 SF
3 NYC
4 NOLA
5 Albuquerque
6 Miami
7 Pittsburgh
8 LA

Old 03-27-2020, 04:49 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
The most unique cities at street level:

New Orleans: The shotgun houses as well as the mansions
New York: The brownstone neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Manhattan
San Francisco: The many Victorians

Obviously this is in the older traditional neighborhoods, not the CBDs or newer areas of these cities. Most reasonably educated people would recognize typical streets in neighborhoods in these cities, either through visits or movie and media depictions.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:13 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Boston

-Triple Deckers
-****ed up weird squirmy roads
-Posh Brownstones, hands down the most distinguishable/eligant brownstones in the country can be found in Beacon Hill or Back Bay.
-Greenery/European Like

Old 03-27-2020, 07:33 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
This guy thinks Boston is so special.

I can say the same thing about Chicago and its 3 flats.

But guess what? You can drop some 3 flats in st louis or Milwaukee and it wouldn't look out of place.

Actually, in his defense, he doesn't lol. Typically he's a naysayer while we are all pumping up Boston.

But yeah, I don't agree with him here.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:42 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I mean, by that logic no city is distinguishable. I think the OP is assuming a baseline knowledge of the city and it’s general appearance.

If you know nothing about New Orleans, then you wouldn’t recognize it at street level no matter how famous its streets and neighborhoods may be to the rest of us.
You don't know what the OP is assuming, nor do I.

What I would wager is that, San Francisco architecture, colors, and topography is a hell of a lot easier to identify to the naked eye, at street level, than a triple decker neighborhood in Boston.

"What's easier to identify in a picture, San Francisco Victorians (the most prevalent residential variety in SF), or Boston Triple Deckers (the most prevalent residential variety in Boston)?"

I bet SF wins handedly.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:57 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
"What's easier to identify in a picture, San Francisco Victorians (the most prevalent residential variety in SF), or Boston Triple Deckers (the most prevalent residential variety in Boston)?"

I bet SF wins handedly.
Anyone who knows both cities wouldn’t have a harder time with either.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
You don't know what the OP is assuming, nor do I.

What I would wager is that, San Francisco architecture, colors, and topography is a hell of a lot easier to identify to the naked eye, at street level, than a triple decker neighborhood in Boston.

I bet SF wins handedly.
Your naming a well known nation wide architectural style (Victorians) compared to a regionally specific housing type (triple decker) not even comparable. By definition a triple decker is much more identifiable

If not Boston where would someone think they’re looking?

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-27-2020 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City