Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 09:04 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Chestnut hill is pretty representative of what 5.5 miles from Boston is. 5.5 miles north is Medford, 5.5 miles southwest of the Loop in Much more urban than that.

Cicero IL is 7 miles away from Chicago and has a density of 14,000 posm. Whether you go 7 miles west to Watertown, north to Melrose, or South to Quincy it’s far less developed than that.

Evanston has almost 10,000 ppsm about 12 miles from Chicago. That’s far more than Peabody, Needham or Weymouth.
What does any of this have to do with the thread topic? Neither Wrigleyville nor Chestnut Hill are in the city center/downtown (or whatever term you want to use) of their respective city.

As far as size as a factor, larger cities will obviously have larger downtowns/city centers as a general matter -- that doesn't mean they are more urban by default (eg LA). If City A and City B have downtown cores that are equally urban pound for pound but City A's downtown is bigger -- that doesn't mean that City A's downtown is more urban; it just means it's bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 09:19 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Santo Domingo and Port-au-Prince are also very densely built up and probably have decent arguments for being in the top 7.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:32 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
What does any of this have to do with the thread topic? Neither Wrigleyville nor Chestnut Hill are in the city center/downtown (or whatever term you want to use) of their respective city.

As far as size as a factor, larger cities will obviously have larger downtowns/city centers as a general matter -- that doesn't mean they are more urban by default (eg LA). If City A and City B have downtown cores that are equally urban pound for pound but City A's downtown is bigger -- that doesn't mean that City A's downtown is more urban; it just means it's bigger.
even if you only look at he Downtown core Chicago’s is like 3.5 sq miles and Boston’s is about 1.

Probably a dozen cities have a couple blocks that can pass as part of Downtown or midtown Manhattan. (Which is why cities as small as Pitt sub for NYC in movies) But none of those cities are as urban as Manhattan because they don’t have the scale.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:49 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
even if you only look at he Downtown core Chicago’s is like 3.5 sq miles and Boston’s is about 1.
I would strongly disagree, putting semantics and arbitrary definitions aside, that Chicago's downtown/city center is 3.5 times larger than Boston's. But, again, the larger point I am making is that we should not be conflating geographic size with urban intensity -- those are two different things.

Quote:
Probably a dozen cities have a couple blocks that can pass as part of Downtown or midtown Manhattan. (Which is why cities as small as Pitt sub for NYC in movies) But none of those cities are as urban as Manhattan because they don’t have the scale.
Ok, but "a couple blocks" don't make downtown, do they?

If you can show me a city in the US whose downtown as a whole, pound for pound, has the same population, commercial, retail and infrastructural density as Manhattan I would have no problem saying that it is as urban as Manhattan, even if it's much smaller in size. But I don't think you can.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:55 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
People discount Toronto's non-tower urbanity. Yes Toronto has significantly more towers than Boston, but in the areas immediately east and west and even north of the core there is still significant continuous urbanity and density at a much larger scale than Boston.
Not discounting it one bit. I just see the same kind of urbanity in Boston and Montreal. Those two cities are no slouches, so being in the same discussion as them isn't putting it down by any means.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:58 AM

242 posts, read 174,199 times
NYC & Chicago are the definition of Urban in our country.

Well really just Manhattan and Downtown Chicago"

Pound for pound, San Francisco is top dog as well.

L.A is tricky because it's really Urban from Downtown to the Hollywood area, outside of that it's a palm tree jungle.

And can't forget Philadelphia, I think these are the most Urban by far and one could even throw in Toronto and Mexico City.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:39 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
NYC & Chicago are the definition of Urban in our country.

Well really just Manhattan and Downtown Chicago"

Pound for pound, San Francisco is top dog as well.

L.A is tricky because it's really Urban from Downtown to the Hollywood area, outside of that it's a palm tree jungle.

And can't forget Philadelphia, I think these are the most Urban by far and one could even throw in Toronto and Mexico City.
Not "could throw in." There is absolutely no reason to not include Mexico City, Toronto and Montreal (and really, even Vancouver) into this discussion.
Think of where one could easily live car-free... Montreal and Toronto are top 5-6 in NA without a doubt.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:02 AM

171 posts, read 179,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
NYC
Mexico City
LA
Chicago
SF
DC
Philly

Toronto and Boston would probably be #8 and #9
LA above Chicago? I think Chicago's urban core just feels way more dense. If you take away the o'hare neighborhood Chicago at one time had a population of 3.6 million in 170 square miles. The structural density is still there. NYC, Chicago and Mexico city and then everywhere else is a few tiers down. Cities like Dallas metro and Washington DC said might pass Chicago but they will never be like chicago. They'll never have that continuous urban structural density. They dont build cities like that anymore.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:17 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparel View Post
LA above Chicago? I think Chicago's urban core just feels way more dense. If you take away the o'hare neighborhood Chicago at one time had a population of 3.6 million in 170 square miles. The structural density is still there. NYC, Chicago and Mexico city and then everywhere else is a few tiers down. Cities like Dallas metro and Washington DC said might pass Chicago but they will never be like chicago. They'll never have that continuous urban structural density. They dont build cities like that anymore.
I think what you mean to say about Chicago is the grid extending out from the urban core of the city expanding out, is of the most contiguous. No one will argue against Chicago's urban core or the grid layout of the cores expansiveness. The debate I'm assuming that's being discussed is just within the urban cores themselves and not really the suburban areas.

What constitutes as the urban core? The city's core itself, or how the urban core extends out to it's suburbs and remains urban? Is Downers Grove a part of Chicago's core being discussed? Because that clearly is the suburbs:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8130...7i13312!8i6656

Where does the urban core of Chicago end?

Old 03-28-2020, 11:19 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
My (tentative) Top 10

NYC
Mexico City
Chicago
LA
SF
Philly
Toronto
Boston
DC
Montreal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City