Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City do you prefer between these two
Orlando, FL 12 38.71%
Columbus, OH 19 61.29%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 07:36 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times

Advertisements

COL
Culture
Safety
QOL
Education
Economy/Job Market
Scenery
Transportation
Dining
Entertainment
Shopping
Better Future
Other (feel free to describe something that makes you prefer one over the other)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 08:39 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
COL: Columbus
Culture: I always question what one means when talking culture. But, if we are talking museums, performing arts, etc... Columbus
Safety: Columbus has a higher murder rate, but less violent crime overall, I think even, there are plenty of safe places in both.
QOL: Subjective
Education: Columbus (even though I'm a proud UCF alum, Ohio State is more established.. also Columbus has a higher proliferation of liberal arts schools and highly rated high schools based on my impression)
Economy/Job Market: Not sure.. guess it depends which field
Scenery: I tend to prefer Columbus.. objectively I think they are even.. I know many would pick Orlando because being in tropics and proximity to ocean.. but I think for varying tastes it could go either way.
Transportation: I'm actually gonna lean towards Orlando on this one-not sure how good Columbus bus system is though relative to Lynx.. which seems pretty good for a new Sun Belt bus system. Orlando also has SunRail and soon arriving Virgin Trains to Miami.
Location: Columbus.. per my tastes at least. Within a weekend drive from Columbus (5.5 hrs.), you can get to: Chicago, Outskirts of DC Metro (Hagerstown), Nashville, 4/5 Great Lakes, Niagara Falls, Mammoth Cave, the High Appalachians/AT, and many other closer places that fall within that range. 5.5 hrs. from Orlando could get you to Miami, Savannah, or the Keys.. but I think you can get to more, closer from CBus.
Housing: I've never known what to comment on this one since I'm not intimately familiar with the housing stock enough in these cities and areas, even Orlando which I know well. They both have a variety of selection is all I can say.
Dining: I'm gonna say Orlando here. It could be wrong.. but I assume it's more diverse internationally.. Puerto Rican and Vietnamese dishes, in particular, are ubiquitous.. It's also a tourist town which means almost all national chains have outposts here.
Entertainment: Columbus... obviously. LOL-but yeah Orlando definitely on this one as the city was literally built around theme parks. That doesn't mean someone wouldn't have a great time in Columbus or enjoy it just as much or more, though.
Shopping: Columbus has Easton Town Center which individually, might be better designed and as impressive as any of Orlando's shopping complexes. Orlando though makes up for it and wins on volume though. It punches above it's weight here.
Better Future: Hard to say.

I have a natural preference for northern cities.. and grew up frequenting Columbus for Buckeye games.. but yet Orlando has a soft spot for me still as I lived 6.5 years and went to college there. Interesting to compare these two-they are actually somewhat more similar than I would've thought.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:41 AM

9,683 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Culture: Columbus
Safety: Columbus
QOL: Columbus
Education: Columbus
Economy/Job Market: Orlando
Scenery: Columbus
Transportation: Orlando
Housing: Columbus
Dining: Orlando
Entertainment: Orlando
Shopping: Orlando
Better Future: Not sure due to Covid-19
Other: Columbus is a jewel of a city with a low cost of living, youthful energy, is family friendly, and overall is a nice place to live. I would choose Columbus.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:06 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
I've lived in both cities and like them both. The answers are per my own preferences and my experiences in each city/metro.

COL - Columbus
Culture - n/a
Safety - Columbus
QOL - Orlando
Education - Columbus
Economy/Job Market - Orlando
Scenery - Orlando
Transportation - Orlando
Location - For me, Orlando (near Atlantic and Gulf beaches and near the Tampa Bay area)
Housing - Columbus, but close
Dining - Orlando
Entertainment - Orlando
Shopping - Orlando
Better Future - Tie. REALLY close. If I absolutely had to choose, I'd go with Orlando
Other (feel free to describe something that makes you prefer one over the other) - I prefer Orlando's climate

Though I liked both, I would rather live in Orlando.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:27 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Culture: Columbus
QOL: Orlando
Economy/Job Market: Columbus
Scenery: Orlando
Transportation: Orlando
Housing: Columbus
Better Future: Columbus
Other: I prefer Columbus overall.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:10 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
COL: Colombus
Culture: Orlando
QOL: Columbus
Economy/Job Market: Columbus
Scenery: Tie
Transportation: Neither
Housing: Tie?
Better Future: Colombus

Colombus Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City