Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Archipelago do you prefer
Florida Keys 27 67.50%
San Juan Islands, Washington 13 32.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 01:26 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,760 times

Advertisements

Two archipelagos on different ends of the contiguous United States.

Recreation
Climate
Scenery
COL
Housing
Economy
Education
Culture
Entertainment
Beaches
Transportation
Accessability
Other (Please explain)
Better Future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 01:59 PM

765 posts, read 899,720 times
Ohhh. This is a really good one.

Recreation: Year round recreation I will give it to the Keys (sunny and warm all year vs cool/cold and rainy/foggy half the year). Also more amenities. But for hiking, kayaking, and maybe a day trip to major cities, I'd go with the San Juans.

Climate: For me personally, I prefer the climate of the keys. I could see how it might get boring, or be a little too warm. But winters in Western WA can be a bit depressing.

Scenery: The San Juan islands is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Florida Keys are no slouch. Goes to SJ islands though.

COL: I'm not sure.

Housing: There is probably more housing available in the Keys? No idea though.

Economy: Both are reliant on tourism. That aside, the SJ islands might have the edge for diversity in economy. Agriculture, artists, and direct international access.

Education: Unknown.

Culture: For me.. that's hard. I feel like the Keys are more lively and friendly, which I like. I also love the outdoor activities, and quirkiness of the San Juan islands.

Entertainment: Florida Keys

Beaches: Florida Keys

Transportation: I'm guessing San Juan Islands (depending on the island). Ferries visit 3 of them frequently, and there is bus service.

Accessibility: San Juan islands due to being situated in between Victoria, Vancouver, and Seattle. Ferries run often.

Better Future: I'll go with the San Juan islands. They have become a popular destination, and have three major cities growing around them. Also the topography/ cooler climate will aid it in climate change. Anywhere in Florida will have an uphill battle with sea level rise.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:15 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,836,665 times
I love the San Juan Islands and Friday Harbor is probably my favorite seaside town in the Pacific Northwest. I dig the Rosario Resort and Orcas Island, great memories there. The SJ Islands are where Washington state is IMO at its most beautiful. The vacation, relaxing vibe, and island time starts the moment the ferry departs the dock from the mainland, the journey there is gorgeous. I'd love to return again.

I've never been to the Keys but they are certainly a different animal. I think the San Juan's, though not as well known are more comparable to the New England islands like Marthas Vineyard or Block Island. The Keys I picture snorkeling, toes in the sand, cocktails, Conch themes, and kitschy tourism. I'm sure its great fun and I'm starting to wonder why I haven't done Key West yet. The San Juans have an old school quiet yet charming nautical vibe. The water is cold, so it's about hiking, orca whale watching, and connecting to nature kind of vibe with great seafood and BnB options.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-06-2020 at 04:32 PM..

Old 04-06-2020, 04:47 PM

5,746 posts, read 4,706,142 times
Easy one for me.

Keys all day and twice on Sunday. Tropical and warm, with an inviting vibe and clear blue water. Pour me a painkiller and dig my toes into the sand.

San Juan Islands... rain, fog, wind, and water that is freezing cold. No thanks.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:38 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,246,130 times
Warm water beats cold water every day...so I'll go with the Keys.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:32 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,715,378 times
If you want camping, hiking, whale watching, spring water lakes and hot springs, nice but rustic resort accomodations, stunning green and hilly ocean scenery, and funky quaint small towns then the San Juans.

If you want gorgeous warm swimming beaches, baby blue water, a tropical vibe, fruity cocktails, great Oceanside resorts, warm/hot weather and larger funky towns, then the Florida Keys.

Both are great but offer completely different experiences.

Last edited by Vincent_Adultman; 04-08-2020 at 09:40 PM..

Old 04-09-2020, 10:05 AM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
The San Juans are a summer destination, with infinitely better weather than the Keys for 3-4 months.

But the Keys have a special place in my heart since my one visit decades ago.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 929,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Easy one for me.

Keys all day and twice on Sunday. Tropical and warm, with an inviting vibe and clear blue water. Pour me a painkiller and dig my toes into the sand.

San Juan Islands... rain, fog, wind, and water that is freezing cold. No thanks.
Keys for me as well. Only disappointing thing about the Keys is all the seaweed on the beaches. South Beach beaches are better but the Keys would be better if they removed the seaweed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City