Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore vs Providence vs Milwaukie
Baltimore 21 34.43%
Providence 22 36.07%
Milwaukie 18 29.51%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 10:22 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
That River is nice. It looks kind of like Baltimroe just a bit cleaner and less ornate buildings generally. It’s nice overall. Skyline is bad though
Oh, I see--I didn't realize you were asking for skyline pics. Milwaukee has some tall buildings, but generally it's more interesting districts are filled with mid-rises instead of high-rises.

Full disclosure though--I'm just interested in Milwaukee, but have never been there. I'm in the northeast though and have spent some time in Providence and Baltimore with me liking the buildings and layout in Baltimore more, but actually liking being in Providence more. Having never been to Milwaukee, it's hard for me to gauge much about it. I'm guessing the overlap of people who've visited Baltimore and Providence is much, much greater than the overlap of either of these with Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 10:24 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, I see--I didn't realize you were asking for skyline pics. Milwaukee has some tall buildings, but generally it's more interesting districts are filled with mid-rises instead of high-rises.

Full disclosure though--I'm just interested in Milwaukee, but have never been there. I'm in the northeast though and have spent some time in Providence and Baltimore with me liking the buildings and layout in Baltimore more, but actually liking being in Providence more. Having never been to Milwaukee, it's hard for me to gauge much about it. I'm guessing the overlap of people who've visited Baltimore and Providence is much, much greater than the overlap of either of these with Milwaukee.
I already looked up skyline pictures, but getting a feel for downtown requires more research. The downtown looks nice, but not as interesting to me as Baltimore.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:30 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
How is Milwaukee small though? 592k people and 96square miles.

Smallish MSA but not a small city.
The city proper is decent, but most people go by MSA. Milwaukee, for a city its size, definitely holds its own. It's a city of festivals (every summer week-end...probably not this summer, though), the largest outdoor music festival in the country, the home of Harley Davidson, and the tens of thousands that descend on the city in the summer from the world over, for Harley events and parades. It's the home of 7 Fortune 500 companies, which isn't bad for a city its size.

Milwaukee was also chosen as the location for the DNC this year, but it remains to be seen, if that happens. I lived in Chicago and Milwaukee, and loved both cities, equally. There are more and more in Chicago, becoming aware of what Milwaukee has to offer, and spend time there in the summer. Hard to judge a city, when you've never been there. If you judge it only by the skyline, you're missing out on a lot. The stunning thing about downtown, is that it's ON Lake Michigan. Hard to beat that.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:32 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
I already looked up skyline pictures, but getting a feel for downtown requires more research. The downtown looks nice, but not as interesting to me as Baltimore.
Baltimore has over a million more people than Milwaukee...you would judge those as being in the same category? Baltimore and Milwaukee both have 2 professional sports teams...nice for both cities.

Last edited by Enean; 05-11-2020 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-11-2020, 10:33 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post

Charm City for sure--but Howard St is so sad. The downtown shopping scene in US cities is pretty well gone everywhere (and COVID may finish it off) but Howard St is a ghost of its 1950s self.

In the Hartbeat of Connecticut -- for example -- here's Main Street Hartford now--with no stores and no shoppers. Not empty and abandoned like Howard St Baltimore but dead all the same. Here's the scene from the same vantage point back in 1972. The Sage-Allen department store is across the street next to shoe stores and other stores, the G. Fox dept store is out of view to the left, the sidewalks full of shoppers. Baltimore, Milwaukee, Providence same story, department stores all out of business and closed, shoe stores gone, record stores obsolete, and along with that, the sidewalks empty of shoppers. People go downtown to work, dine out, see a show, museum, but that big city retail magic is gone.
That has always been my take on Baltimore, having lived there. Downtown (I'm excluding the Inner Harbor) really looks like a ghost town that faded with the times. As you point out, as place like Howard Street looks like it has the bones of a great sort of main street back in the 1950's. In many major cities a street like Howard Street would have been revitalized and be a major shopping district now. There are no ritzy areas (lined with high-end shopping, entertainment, and restaurants) like that in downtown Baltimore.

You can find some small pockets of cool things like that in the Harbor area. Even the inner-harbor proper, while still beautiful, has those out-dated early 90s pavilions.

Baltimore is a city that just hasn't been able to keep up with the modern times, like other major cities. DC down the road is the exact opposite. It is full of trendy modern streets with shopping, restaurants, entertainment etc.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:07 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
That has always been my take on Baltimore, having lived there. Downtown (I'm excluding the Inner Harbor) really looks like a ghost town that faded with the times. As you point out, as place like Howard Street looks like it has the bones of a great sort of main street back in the 1950's. In many major cities a street like Howard Street would have been revitalized and be a major shopping district now. There are no ritzy areas (lined with high-end shopping, entertainment, and restaurants) like that in downtown Baltimore.

You can find some small pockets of cool things like that in the Harbor area. Even the inner-harbor proper, while still beautiful, has those out-dated early 90s pavilions.

Baltimore is a city that just hasn't been able to keep up with the modern times, like other major cities. DC down the road is the exact opposite. It is full of trendy modern streets with shopping, restaurants, entertainment etc.
DC is 2x as large and it being down the road is part of the reason Baltimore is in the predicament it's in. State government pours virtually all it's resources into proper DC's MD metro, and gives Baltimore the left over scraps.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:24 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
DC is 2x as large and it being down the road is part of the reason Baltimore is in the predicament it's in. State government pours virtually all it's resources into proper DC's MD metro, and gives Baltimore the left over scraps.
You would hope that Baltimore also benefits from the proximity since it's the main port for the entire region and it has fairly fast commuter rail to the DC area with far lower housing prices for urban neighborhoods.

Of course, those potential commuter shed benefits won't accrue as easily until after the plans for MARC extensions further into DC and NOVA, having the Camden line extended further into Baltimore, and greater frequencies come into fruition.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:26 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Baltimore has over a million more people than Milwaukee...you would judge those as being in the same category? Baltimore and Milwaukee both have 2 professional sports teams...nice for both cities.
Wait--hold on. The city populations of Milwaukee and Baltimore are almost identical. Providence is MUCH smaller.

On a different matter, Milwaukee's neighborhoods are pretty intact, and not dilapidated. Many are loaded with rather quaint bungalows that are quite affordable. Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about Baltimore, where urban renewal is an absolute necessity..

Old 05-11-2020, 07:40 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
There are 14 trains that travel between the two cities, also the actual distance between Milwaukee and Chicago is 63 miles. The rest is filled in with Milwaukee or Chicago suburbs.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:59 PM

17,681 posts, read 9,164,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
and the Big Blue Bug.
Good to see The Walrus knows what the Big Blue Bug is.

He's currently wearing a face mask.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/gall...orkers#photo-1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City