Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 06:38 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,889,291 times

Advertisements

Which Urban Environment (Nashville or Memphis) could African Americans excel, fit in, feel most comfortable, feel apart of the culture, expouse culture, be accepted, and most successful in....if it's both say so if neither say that too.... Nashville gets a bad rep for Not Attracting African Americans as some other Southern Boomtowns do, Ascertain weather this is Perception or Truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 09:08 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
At this point in time, probably Memphis.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:08 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Nashville is diverse and has a larger immigrant population. The city has an interesting history in music and education. I have never heard of Nashville having a bad reputation for not attracting blacks considering the numerous black media, 4 HBCUs, non profits, and growth in black owned businesses.

https://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entries/black-bottom/

https://urbaanite.com/category/a-lit...black-history/

https://nmaam.org/

https://www.fisk.edu/

Tennessee State University

https://abcnash.edu/

https://home.mmc.edu/

Nashville Minority Business Center Celebrates Historic Minority Enterprises - The Tennessee Tribune

https://travelnoire.com/what-its-lik...k-in-nashville

Nashville weaknesses:

Cost of living: It is much easier to own an affordable home in Memphis than it is in Nashville. Some of Nashville's edge cities are still more expensive than Memphis.

Mainstream Black Culture: Black culture in Nashville is still not mainstream (not unique to Nashville, but troubling considering the institutions). We blend in to the larger culture rather than stand out in a meaningful way. There are no wealthy black neighborhoods, urban districts, or large black companies headquartered here. This is a problem.

Black population loss: Blacks who seek better opportunities to grow their careers often leave for Atlanta and Chicago (my family included). Those cities drain Nashville of its collective talent, especially in leadership/management and entrepreneurship roles.

Crime: Nashville is less crime ridden than Memphis, but it is still a major issue, especially among black youth.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:01 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Neither for "African American Urban Living."

Old 05-21-2020, 02:42 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,297 times
I moved to Memphis (from Nashville) in 1968 just after the loss of MLK Jr. Up until then, Memphis was essentially a white majority city, famous for their beautiful churches and it was an incredibly clean city. That was a turning point as the city went into a social decline that's never seen any upturn.

Today, Memphis has a black (majority) vs. white attitude as a city, and it's pushed by a one sided media. And crack cocaine, gambling in Tunica and the Tennessee Lottery have essentially drained the city of all cash. Crime is simply rampant. Previously nice neighborhoods have turned into lower middle class ghettos. Virtually every street has closed circuit tv cameras watching from telephone poles with blue lights flashing. Every business has guards in their parking lots every day, every hour they're open. Fast food restaurants even are very underperforming and distasteful places to visit.

On the other side, Nashville is a much more cohesive community with a much better atmosphere. The city doesn't have the negative attitude that is experienced in Memphis. And Nashville is surrounded by really nice medium size cities that are fast growing communities. The downside is that there are so many non-English people moving to town, and real estate prices are very high due to demand. Despite their booming economy, the city is operating at a deficit (in normal times), and the state is pressuring the city to make fiscal changes.

Nashville and the Middle Tennessee counties provide a much better living and work environment for all people--black, white & other.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:39 AM

329 posts, read 635,683 times
The comment above mine (before it gets deleted) is ummmm.... idk what to say lol

But to answer the question. I'm sure that can be done in both cities in their own way. Nashville can provide that in ways as far as having a larger HBCU presence than Memphis which opens up certain doors. Also having recognition with the African American museum which is a great way of having the city embrace African American culture in the spotlight. That would make it more inviting to African Americans in what will come from that opportunity wise

Overall, Memphis wins by large margin because of population and history that's established.

Excel: Both have opportunities for Africans Americans to excel. Depending what's the career. In one way it could be easier in Memphis because of many top positions in Memphis are ran by African Americans compared to Nashville. Being the capital city in the state could bring more higher level government opportunities if one was in that field. Again it could be harder. Many of Memphis/ Shelby county government jobs and positions are represented well with African Americans. Nashville have a larger corporate presence, so in blue collar positions one can excel with having more opportunities to choose from.

"Fit in, exposure, accepted" ... Memphis would win that one because of history and broadness. Memphis in history and now have always had African American culture in its forefront. The large population and high concentration of black businesses, and professionals should have one feel like they fit in or have enough exposure as a African American. It's alot honestly in many ways. Even some unique aspects. Having the first community in the nation made by and for African Americans (Orange Mound) that have a lot of history in itself. Many events, one in particular I want to highlight is Africa in April. Large event that highlights a African country and culture every year downtown, with food, music and etc. Hatiloo theater (black repertor theater). Could go on

Memphis is top heavy in African American culture, and have good exposure in in black media as well with music, arts, and events that would come through town. Also in top lists as one of the best places for black businesses and women minority businesses as well with the city making sure more minority businesses are funded and also are contracted for more construction projects around the city.

Overall I see Memphis for this one.

Last edited by TheKernel91; 05-21-2020 at 08:55 AM..

Old 05-21-2020, 02:46 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
The comment above mine (before it gets deleted) is ummmm.... idk what to say lol

But to answer the question. I'm sure that can be done in both cities in their own way. Nashville can provide that in ways as far as having a larger HBCU presence than Memphis which opens up certain doors. Also having recognition with the African American museum which is a great way of having the city embrace African American culture in the spotlight. That would make it more inviting to African Americans in what will come from that opportunity wise

Overall, Memphis wins by large margin because of population and history that's established.

Excel: Both have opportunities for Africans Americans to excel. Depending what's the career. In one way it could be easier in Memphis because of many top positions in Memphis are ran by African Americans compared to Nashville. Being the capital city in the state could bring more higher level government opportunities if one was in that field. Again it could be harder. Many of Memphis/ Shelby county government jobs and positions are represented well with African Americans. Nashville have a larger corporate presence, so in blue collar positions one can excel with having more opportunities to choose from.

"Fit in, exposure, accepted" ... Memphis would win that one because of history and broadness. Memphis in history and now have always had African American culture in its forefront. The large population and high concentration of black businesses, and professionals should have one feel like they fit in or have enough exposure as a African American. It's alot honestly in many ways. Even some unique aspects. Having the first community in the nation made by and for African Americans (Orange Mound) that have a lot of history in itself. Many events, one in particular I want to highlight is Africa in April. Large event that highlights a African country and culture every year downtown, with food, music and etc. Hatiloo theater (black repertor theater). Could go on

Memphis is top heavy in African American culture, and have good exposure in in black media as well with music, arts, and events that would come through town. Also in top lists as one of the best places for black businesses and women minority businesses as well with the city making sure more minority businesses are funded and also are contracted for more construction projects around the city.

Overall I see Memphis for this one.
Ironically, my wife just had a conversation about Memphis like an hour ago with some black women in a Facebook group. A woman was inquiring about Tennessee, all the women from Memphis were adamantMy against Memphis and recommended Nashville. The middle class black community your me talking about surely exists but I imagine they are far outnumbered by poorer folks. I never even knew there was anything good about Memphis until threads like this. What I’ve heard in real life mirrors the comments on Facebook and the comment above yours.

Never been to Tennessee but I’d personally want to visit both Memphis and Nashville. They seem fun and lively. And I love Memphis BBQ

Old 05-21-2020, 04:45 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
I've lived in Memphis and visit Nashville quite often and over the past few months have been doing a lot of networking in Nashville.

Memphis can easily cause an outsider to isolate due to the local culture. Blacks tend to connect with other Black by way of family ties and church. Maybe to a lesser extent in the workplace. Many Blacks in Memphis tend to think there is only one way to be Black regardless of education and economic class. That is something that I've never seen nor experienced like I have in Memphis.

Nashville, like what has already been mentioned is a large HBCU town. I have been very impressed with the quality of Black professionals who are coming out of Nashville. Its kind of shocking for those who are not familiar with the area. As Shakeesha has already stated, many Blacks seem to want to leave and go to larger cities like Atlanta and Chicago for opportunity. I understand why when you think about what larger cities have to offer with comparable cost of living.

I wouldn't choose either city due to the lack of urban amenities that I value such as walkability, transit and other benefits of living in a urban city. If I would have to choose one over the other it would be Nashville. Not because its so great but because it offers more quality of life things that Memphis doesn't have. Nashville performs better as a city. I know this will make a lot of Memphians upset but Memphis seems so contrary in its thinking and way of life. It can be embarrassing for Blacks from other parts of the country who are not connected to Memphis Black culture.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:27 PM

472 posts, read 346,357 times
Excel: Honestly, both? I think both cities offer pretty good economic opportunities for those who have the educational background to acquire them. Herein lies the issue. Many Blacks in Memphis are a step behind their peers in Nashville - Nashville has better public education within its city. For a Black person moving to Memphis or Nashville who is already educated I think they'd both have the chance to excel economically or culturally. I've met quite a few black people who were from Chicago & Michigan who actually moved to Memphis- and succeeded here; I've also recently met quite a few Black people from Nashville who have moved to Memphis lately due to the rising prices there. However, many of my black friends wanted to go to California, Atlanta, and New York.
Fit: Hard to say. I think Nashville leaves more room for diversity in thought if that makes sense. But honestly not sure. I had quite a few black friends growing up in Memphis who hated church and loved anime. Hated sports and loved lord of the rings. I found folks to be a mixed bag here; but I can see what the above poster is saying in the church community and Memphis black identity.
Culture: I think Black people have a much bigger effect on Memphis culture compared to Nashville. Memphis is predominantly black, there are many politicians who are black, black businesses, a wide breadth of people in all different settings and occupations. I'm not sure Nashville has that deep of a variety- Fisk and TSU are there, but I think Nashville's basically got a middle class population whereas Memphis has a poor population (substantially so sadly), Middle class/ Professional class, and a wealthy populace as well. Nashville could too, I'm less familiar with it though. Additionally, the honky tonk culture is super strong in Nashville (not that there's anything wrong with that); but it sorta pushes away other cultures to the fringes, whereas there are quite a few different scenes going on in Memphis.
These are totally my subjective beliefs and all my information is anecdotal at best.

In sum, if I were a native of one of these two fine cities, I'd choose Nashville.
If I were moving to one I think both offer ample opportunities and it would depend on what I was moving for.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:29 AM

2,649 posts, read 2,093,659 times
Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City