Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro is more naturally beautiful?
Los Angeles 39 62.90%
San Diego 23 37.10%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 05:20 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles, but San Diego has very nice scenery too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 05:22 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Pound for pound San Diego. The coastline overall is more scenic, a lot of LA/OC beaches are wide, flat and pretty meh. The mountains are more dramatic and beautiful in LA but where most people actually live is flat, sprawly, and not very scenic at all. So many residential areas in San Diego sit atop mesa's separated by undeveloped canyons. It way easier and more affordable to get a home overlooking a canyon in SD than LA. There is just way more green space (parks and undeveloped canyons) dispersed throughout San Diego than LA on a per capita basis. Your average neighborhood in SD is going to be nicer looking/more scenic than your average LA neighborhood imo. SD was partly designed with the City Beautiful Movement in mind, I don't think LA was at all.
They were, and this was the primary reason for building height restrictions from 1904-1960 there.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:25 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
This could go either way but I gave it to Los Angeles for having both man-made and natural scenery.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:41 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
LA. The hills really give it such a great balance. Then you have the San Gabriel Mountains which give the city an overall look that real scenic shot. SD has some great scenery as well, I also think because of how massive and sprawling LA is, it helps it with some of that scenery.

On a side note though, far and away the best natural scenery in California to me is in the Bay Area and SF. It's right up there with the best of em in the entire country.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:47 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
I pick Los angeles overall.
I think LA area has amazing beaches and coastline. Malibu and Palos Verdes coastline with the tall cliffs and mountain backgrounds contrast well with the wide sand beaches of the Santa Monica bay.
The LA area mountains are tall and closer esp Malibu/Santa Monica mountains, Santa Susana Mountains and San Gabriel/Angeles national forest give great backdrops.
The LA also has a lot of hilly areas from South Pasadena, Highland Park, Echo Park, Griffith Park, Beverly Hills. Also other areas like Baldwin Hills, Whittier, Long Beach. While everything looks flat like a pancake it has different topography that maybe seem noticeable when looking above but when you do drive around the LA area, you will notice it isn't that purely flat.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:49 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I pick Los angeles overall.
I think LA area has amazing beaches and coastline. Malibu and Palos Verdes coastline with the tall cliffs and mountain backgrounds contrast well with the wide sand beaches of the Santa Monica bay.
The LA area mountains are tall and closer esp Malibu/Santa Monica mountains, Santa Susana Mountains and San Gabriel/Angeles national forest give great backdrops.
The LA also has a lot of hilly areas from South Pasadena, Highland Park, Echo Park, Griffith Park, Beverly Hills. Also other areas like Baldwin Hills, Whittier, Long Beach. While everything looks flat like a pancake it has different topography that maybe seem noticeable when looking above but when you do drive around the LA area, you will notice it isn't that purely flat.
San Diego area win on beaches

Old 06-10-2020, 08:10 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Default It's Los Angeles by far imo. I snapped these throughout the year.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:57 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
When I first went to LA,I was underwhelmed . It wasnt the mountains or ocean but the city is just brown. When think of scenery
I think of what it looks like just driving around the city and LA.SD is green and fairly lush in comparison.It has more everyday beauty all around the city.:LA just does not
Had the question been about best outdoors or nature,then I would say LA

Old 06-11-2020, 02:05 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Pound for pound San Diego. The coastline overall is more scenic, a lot of LA/OC beaches are wide, flat and pretty meh. The mountains are more dramatic and beautiful in LA but where most people actually live is flat, sprawly, and not very scenic at all. So many residential areas in San Diego sit atop mesa's separated by undeveloped canyons. It way easier and more affordable to get a home overlooking a canyon in SD than LA. There is just way more green space (parks and undeveloped canyons) dispersed throughout San Diego than LA on a per capita basis. Your average neighborhood in SD is going to be nicer looking/more scenic than your average LA neighborhood imo. SD was partly designed with the City Beautiful Movement in mind, I don't think LA was at all.

This is so true.LA average neighborhoods are not nearly as nice on average. SD os much more greener overall.People are confusing scenery with outdoors access.
For instance take a city like Denver,its not a pretty city but has a great scenic skyline from an aerial view.On the ground driving around ,its just doesnt stand out

Old 06-11-2020, 03:20 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
My few times in San Diego I honestly didn't think it was that greeen or lush at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City