Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which twins have the better relationship?
Kansas City, KS/MO 9 16.98%
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN 44 83.02%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 11:54 AM

3,897 posts, read 2,214,718 times

Advertisements

Which of these twin cities do you think in your opinion have a better relationship economically, culturally, socially and also work together better in attracting jobs/companies? Kansas City, MO/KS or Minneapolis/St. Paul MN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 12:40 PM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Minneapolis/St Paul are more actual twins vs KCKS being an overgrown suburb

Old 08-17-2020, 03:16 PM

23,563 posts, read 24,089,586 times
Minneapolis.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:27 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,911,879 times
MSP by a landslide and I'm a pretty big supporter of KC (it's my freaking username!)

There is no "twin cities" KC. Outside of their name, KCMO and KCK have very little in common. KCK is basically a suburb of KCMO. You can't say that about St Paul.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:24 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,719,147 times
This is an awfully weird comparison.

But I'll go with Minneapolis.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:09 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Kansas City, Kansas, isn't an "overgrown suburb" — it's had its own industrial base for many decades, built largely around the Santa Fe and Union Pacific rail yards and the Fairfax Industrial District. That industry plus KU's medical school supported some 160,000 residents.

But the 'Dotte is clearly not the equal to or a peer of Kansas City, Mo., whereas St. Paul is a peer of Minneapolis. (Both cities have about the same number of residents. One has the state Capitol and the other the state university.)

And on the metropolitan cooperation front, the Greater Kansas City area has nothing even remotely like the Metropolitan Council of the Twin Cities. Sheesh, the Mid-America Regional Council has a hard time getting everyone to sing from the same page in the songbook, and it doesn't have a dedicated stream of revenue to spend on transportation and other civic improvement projects like the Met Council does.

There's no contest here at all — Minneapolis/St. Paul takes the prize here.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:34 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,533,049 times
Kansas City, hands down. KCM is one of my favorite metros, one of the most underrated, IMO. MSP use to be one of my favorites too. But the elephant in the room of rioting, violence, political hostility and extremism, and the idiotic idea of defunding their police, the areas QOL has and will continue to nose dive. More expensive than KCM as well, and the gap will continue to widen.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:38 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,719,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Kansas City, hands down. KCM is one of my favorite metros, one of the most underrated, IMO. MSP use to be one of my favorites too. But the elephant in the room of rioting, violence, political hostility and extremism, and the idiotic idea of defunding their police, the areas QOL has and will continue to nose dive. More expensive than KCM as well, and the gap will continue to widen.
KC needs to get its economy together.

Many of its largest employers are either teetering on the brink of bankruptcy or are being merged out of existence.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:41 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Minneapolis will have a police department. Just not the one it has now. The city council is still trying to figure out what that new department should look like, and until it does, the current one continues to patrol the streets.

If they play their cards right, they could wind up with a department as good as the county-run one that replaced the city police department in Camden, N.J. Since the new department took over, crime has plunged in New Jersey's poorest city, largely because the new department's commanders told the officers that Job 1 was getting to know the people they were supposed to protect.

Edited to add: That aside, I pretty much agree with your points about QOL (though I'm not sure the Twin Cities' will "nose dive") and COL, but I thought the yardstick we were using here was level of interconnectedness / cooperation / partnership between the core cities.

And here we get to one of KC's Achilles' heels: It does pretty badly on those metrics.

KCK isn't a peer core city with KCMo the way St. Paul is with Minneapolis, Fort Worth is with Dallas or even Oakland is with San Francisco; KCK may have its own employment base, but it doesn't look, feel or act as a junior partner to the bigger city next door the way Oakland does wrt its bigger neighbor across the Bay.

And on regional cooperation, KC comes up way short, and one of the reasons why is the state line. How long did it take for that "job creation" "border war" to finally end?

Last edited by MarketStEl; 08-18-2020 at 07:55 AM..

Old 08-18-2020, 07:42 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,897,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
KC needs to get its economy together.

Many of its largest employers are either teetering on the brink of bankruptcy or are being merged out of existence.
Minneapolis has some problems, as well. Just Google it, and read for yourself. Companies thinking of leaving, downtown businesses wanting to flee the downtown area....it's all there. The desirability of Minneapolis has faded, and I it will experience changes, that it didn't dream would happen, six months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City