Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Newer cities with a strong sense of place
Atlanta 17 23.94%
Charlotte 2 2.82%
Raleigh 4 5.63%
Nashville 17 23.94%
Orlando 6 8.45%
Miami 30 42.25%
Tampa 3 4.23%
Houston 3 4.23%
Austin 9 12.68%
Dallas 7 9.86%
OKC 1 1.41%
Denver 6 8.45%
Salt Lake City 9 12.68%
Phoenix 3 4.23%
Las Vegas 14 19.72%
Seattle 27 38.03%
San Diego 12 16.90%
Portland 16 22.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 08:27 PM

405 posts, read 394,930 times

Advertisements

Older cities and even some rural areas in the east and midwest are popularly seen as having a 'sense of place'. Residents and visitors may feel that something is authentic or special about a place and ties people to the place. Which of the cities that mainly became major cities in the last 50 years can be said to have a strong sense of place like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense_of_place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 10:16 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times
Focusing on both physical and cultural/social sense of place, I think Miami hands down has the strongest sense of place. Seattle is second

Old 08-21-2020, 10:47 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
The city/metro that is the least over-run by newcomers. Of the cities listed, I'd say Nashville because it's still a relatively small enough metro and the last to enter into the ranks of boom towns and big cities.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:53 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Hmm this question is a little bit convoluted imo, but I'll give it a go.

When we talk about sense of place and placemaking (creating a sense of place) in urban design, from my experience we are typically talking about a specific block, a specific space, a particular vantage point or sightline. In essence, it is one small location that either offers a great sense of place or not. So now when you ask this question for entire cities or metro areas, it isn't super clear but I would have to interpret that as which city does placemaking really well in many different spots throughout the city? Which cities have the most thorough and consistent embrace of people at human scale?

And yeah, this isn't that easy to answer because I have not spent a lot of time exploring all areas of all the cities above. I have no doubt that most/all of the cities in the list have many examples they can point to, so again, it is very hard to compare.

With that said, I'm gonna lean towards Miami, Seattle, Portland, Atlanta, Las Vegas and Orlando. I will assume that the more walkable areas a region has, the higher chance there has been more investment and resources put into placemaking. Placemaking improves walkability, walkability creates more sense of place, it is a virtuous cycle. Secondly, the tourist centers undoubtedly spend tons on this. All the developments on the Vegas strip are trying to provide some pull, attraction, to bring you in closer. And the theme parks in Orlando own an entire subset of the study of placemaking. So yeah, I'll just guess those offer the most...which one exactly well we'll have to really go and dive much deeper to sort that out.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:47 AM

955 posts, read 612,082 times
Seattle wins this hands down.

Old 08-22-2020, 07:01 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Geography/climate would seem to be the most notable factor for these cities; large concentrations of certain demographics would be a strong secondary factor. Industry hubs, particularly those which result in a very palpable and distinct culture or lifestyle that permeates the city, is another notable factor.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:54 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
The city/metro that is the least over-run by newcomers. Of the cities listed, I'd say Nashville because it's still a relatively small enough metro and the last to enter into the ranks of boom towns and big cities.
This isn’t necessary so for Nashville especially in terms of Newcomers or Transplants. Nashville has a very high Transplant population from California, Chicago and New York not to mention Foreign born population which is highly hispanic as well as Kurdish..There is even a good number of Africans especially somilan...It’s definitely not the latest ,newest, smallest or small by any means... Maybe most surprising,, maybe so... i would say it has a Unique sense of self though

Old 08-22-2020, 01:22 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
This is really a case study in how urbannwss pollutes every other debate

Miami And Nashville are far more distinct than Seattle. A Tram is not a culture.

Atlanta also has a spot in AA culture that Seattle just totally lacks

Old 08-22-2020, 01:51 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
These cities are "new" compared Boston or Philadelphia and that's about it.

If "new" means recent population increase, then I say Seattle wins this extremely easily. It's impossible to mistake Seattle for any other place on earth. Even NYC and Chicago could be confused with each other to the casual observer from afar.

When I look at a picture of a Nashville or Austin, I usually need to be reminded of what exactly I"m looking at.

Old 08-22-2020, 02:05 PM

232 posts, read 189,863 times
This would be easier for some to answer who find their sense of "place" in a particular subculture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City