Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Newer cities with a strong sense of place
Atlanta 17 23.94%
Charlotte 2 2.82%
Raleigh 4 5.63%
Nashville 17 23.94%
Orlando 6 8.45%
Miami 30 42.25%
Tampa 3 4.23%
Houston 3 4.23%
Austin 9 12.68%
Dallas 7 9.86%
OKC 1 1.41%
Denver 6 8.45%
Salt Lake City 9 12.68%
Phoenix 3 4.23%
Las Vegas 14 19.72%
Seattle 27 38.03%
San Diego 12 16.90%
Portland 16 22.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 02:53 PM

405 posts, read 394,338 times

Advertisements

I think places that have something permanent to “ground” them stand out here and end up having a strong sense of place. Like Denver with the mountains to the west, or Seattle with its setting. SD, Portland, Miami and Tampa are examples as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 03:36 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
This is really a case study in how urbannwss pollutes every other debate

Miami And Nashville are far more distinct than Seattle. A Tram is not a culture.

Atlanta also has a spot in AA culture that Seattle just totally lacks
Aside from urbanity, Seattle's PNW geography and climate certainly give it a sense of place. On the cultural front, there's the city's musical legacy to consider and on the economic/industrial front, there was/is the timber and shipbuilding industries.

But I think the urbanity factor is definitely worth mentioning for Seattle as it represents its current transition to a major city and new development in the city is a good bit less auto-dependent and densely built with transit utilization in mind which isn't really the norm in most non-legacy cities.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:50 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
I think places that have something permanent to “ground” them stand out here and end up having a strong sense of place. Like Denver with the mountains to the west, or Seattle with its setting. SD, Portland, Miami and Tampa are examples as well
In essence, geography--which also has a direct bearing on local industry and culture. Many Western cities tend to have a particular advantage here in that, unlike many Eastern cities, their most distinctive geographical features/settings are just bonus points that don't really serve as much of a particular economic purpose, particularly those with great mountain views and those in the desert. Those Western cities exist primarily because of extensively engineered rivers and railroads and the mountains and deserts became more lifestyle features of sorts.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:37 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
To me San Diego has a sense of place as a quintessential Southern California city. Not to say that this is missing in LA, but San Diego's size and vibes lends itself to a more local feel. Everywhere you go in SD, you see and feel the SoCal elements in a very palpable way.

Old 08-23-2020, 10:43 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
To me San Diego has a sense of place as a quintessential Southern California city. Not to say that this is missing in LA, but San Diego's size and vibes lends itself to a more local feel. Everywhere you go in SD, you see and feel the SoCal elements in a very palpable way.
I totally agree. The prevalent indoor/outdoor lifestyle and vibe is one of my favorite things about San Diego. They absolutely embrace their amazing climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City