Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the Caribbean new money?
Northeast corridor (NYC, Boston, Philly, DC, Baltimore) 41 56.94%
Florida/Geogria (Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Tampa, Jacksonville) 31 43.06%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 03:17 PM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
^^^ You tend to take most threads and make them Boston vs the Maryland DC area. As I'm sure you notice the OP is including them together as one corridor stretch of metro areas with Caribbean people. So most of that is moot here, and actually the differences in which you find across the Bos-DC stretch of the various Black hispanic/Caribbean communities is a part of what makes it vary so much and even more diverse over the cities in the poll it's being compared to.
no. Only when already being compared, I never ranked these places in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 03:19 PM

Just a matter of personal opinon at the end of the day right? I think all the places listed hereare pretty solid.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:23 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
I think you have to break down "Caribbean" a little. For wealthy Cubans and Puerto Ricans (to a lesser extent), they are already well-established in Miami. I would say that NYC suburbs (including Conn), would probably be good for Puerto Ricans. Caribbeans like Trinidadians may be a good fit for DC. PG County is one of the richest majority black counties in the country and there are a good amount of Caribbeans in the DC region.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I agree with most of what your saying here in general. But there is far more income variation amongst the Carribean population in Boston. And Boston is so street by street that a upper middle clas multi-generational West Indian family may own a home worth 1.2 million and behind them may be a section 8 triple decker with a mix of Jamaican, Black American and Haitian people.

I agree Maryland gets more people moving domestically. But Boston already has an established Carribean middle class that is/was english speaking. Still most Haitians I meet (4/5) speak English just fine.

Theres deep ecnlaves so that alolows for very socioeconomically, mixed, and vibrant Caribbean-heavy neighborhoods. There are mainly lower middel class enclaves (not poor though there are some) and they tend to have many solidly middle class people in them. The meidan home in Boston is 650k- trust that many Carribean people in Boston own their homes.

The black community in MA doesn't have the numbers to really segregate by class like in Maryland so many higher income households or even blocks get lost in the mix. Upper Marlboros and Bowies and Largos arent there. But that doesn't mean the individuals arent. Its just a more urban(e) middle-class lifestyle that uses private schools and the healthcare/education fields. Sometimes its a more blue-collar middle class existence.

A quick google streetview of crribean areas in Boston reveal that man if not most they look middle class. Hyde Park MA Randolph MA East Cambridge and much of Malden and Everett have substantial Carribean middle class (not as much upper middle).

Southern Dorchester and Southern Mattapan as well

Even still the amount of Caribbean people living in mostly white neighborhoods and town is subnatial. All those tract around bostont hat are 6-15% black-thats them (Canton, Stoughton, Norwood, Waltham, Medford). This is where the middle class Puerto Ricans and dominicans are. Many of them are very newly middles class -like the last 15 years or so. Theres not many of them but they exist. Many are middle class aspiring and working towards it-its a youthful population.

I just think Boston is a more holistic and 'carribean experience than Maryland and its not like people are living in squalor anywhere really.

This is because Boston has way more Caribbean blacks than DC, which is more African American. Although there is a large African population in the DC area. DC overall has one of the largest, most diverse Black populations, but Caribbeans are the one group they don't have huge numbers (esp compared to Boston).

Old 09-25-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I agree that Boston blows anywhere in Maryland out of the water as far as culture and numbers go but I do think that the lack of low income Caribbean populations in Maryland makes it rank over the Boston area as far as wealthy/upper middle class Caribbean people go. There's just enough Caribbean people/amenities available in Maryland that it's fine IMO. It's not like living in Detroit or somewhere in Virginia.

In my list i said Boston will probably overtake NYC and depending on what happens (continued income growth/increase in white collar/middle class Caribbean people) it may overtake NY suburbs and Maryland as well as the premier Caribbean American community in the Northeast. I think a lot of that depends on the Haitian American community .

As a quick note, anecdotally I'd say plenty of Haitians do not speak English well. Haitian Americans or Haitians that moved when young do but those from the island often do not speak English well. I have great aunt and uncle who lived in Brooklyn for decades and never learned English, for example. According to this 45% of Haitians reported limited English proficiency. https://www.migrationpolicy.org/arti...ed-states-2018

EDIT: Anecdotally as well, upper class Cubans, Jamaicans, and Haitians tend to move to South Florida (Broward and Miami-Dade) rather than NY or Boston. I imagine this is true of most of the other islands' upper classes.

That many if not most are second generation in Maryland is a good point. Quite a few are from New York or New Jersey and stayed after attending school.
This hasn't been my experience. Most of those folks are considerably older than me like 50+. Rarely if ever do I meet a Haitians under 35 with limited English proficiency. Brooklyn Haitians are a bit more Haitian than Boston ones. At least that what my wife says (Haitian from NJ). I think may Hatiains who are low income in Boston just fall into poor American patholgies/culture... its not really because of a lack of English proficiency.

Many professional Haitians in Boston and NJ. Many from Florida. I don't think this is as one way a migration as you're saying.

Going to private school in Boston I met middle and upper middle class Hatian (and Ghanaian/Nigerian) kids from WASPY towns like Wellesely, Andover, Waltham, Hamilton. Some would consider these better places to raise a child than PG County because they're much safer and better schools. But also much whiter.

But this is just Haitians who I think are a solid plurality of Boston's Carribean population but not the majority.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I think you have to break down "Caribbean" a little. For wealthy Cubans and Puerto Ricans (to a lesser extent), they are already well-established in Miami. I would say that NYC suburbs (including Conn), would probably be good for Puerto Ricans. Caribbeans like Trinidadians may be a good fit for DC. PG County is one of the richest majority black counties in the country and there are a good amount of Caribbeans in the DC region.
Is Connecticut is really good for Puerto Ricans? But its very Puerto Rican.

Connecticut seems to work out better for Black Americans (New Haven) and Haitians (in the Bridgeport/Stamford area)

Old 09-25-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Is Connecticut is really good for Puerto Ricans? But its very Puerto Rican.

Connecticut seems to work out better for Black Americans (New Haven) and Haitians (in the Bridgeport/Stamford area)

The OP asked what was the best place for wealthy/ upper class Caribbeans. I was thinking since they already have a strong presence in Connecticut, it would probably be a good place.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:56 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Its solid for a smaller area butits only Bloomfield and Windsor and the Jamaican population between the two towns is like 20-25k. Its middle and lower middle class. Hartford and East Hartford are poor but have many caribean people. Not much Caribbean variation mostly just Jamaican and a few Guyanese. I lived there for a while. Its not a great destination but its a contributor between NYC and Boston.

New Haven might be better for the wealthy/middle class black Carribeans than Hartford. Maybe even Worcester
I think there are some upper middle class as well. There was a time not too long ago that I believe the black median household income in Windsor was higher than or on par with the white median household income there. http://www.usa.com/school-district-0...races-data.htm

Keep in mind at the time, the black median household income in Windsor was above the state figure of $69,899(2014 info) and Bloomfield was just below in that regard($67,500). http://www.usa.com/rank/connecticut-...lst=CT&yr=9000

The black percentage in the Windsor School District is 39% and for Bloomfield it is 57% in terms of residents within the district boundaries.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-25-2020 at 04:11 PM..

Old 09-25-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think there are some upper middle class as well. There was a time not too long ago that I believe the black median household income in Windsor was higher than or on par with the white median household income there. Windsor School District Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.comâ„¢

Keep in mind at the time, the black median household income in Windsor was above the state figure of $69,899(2014 info) and Bloomfield was just below in that regard($67,500). The black percentage in the Windsor School District is 39% and for Bloomfield it is 57%.
Theyre nice towns no doubt.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:18 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,427,004 times
Quote:
This hasn't been my experience. Most of those folks are considerably older than me like 50+. Rarely if ever do I meet a Haitians under 35 with limited English proficiency. Brooklyn Haitians are a bit more Haitian than Boston ones. At least that what my wife says (Haitian from NJ). I think may Hatiains who are low income in Boston just fall into poor American patholgies/culture... its not really because of a lack of English proficiency.

Many professional Haitians in Boston and NJ. Many from Florida. I don't think this is as one way a migration as you're saying.

Going to private school in Boston I met middle and upper middle class Hatian (and Ghanaian/Nigerian) kids from WASPY towns like Wellesely, Andover, Waltham, Hamilton. Some would consider these better places to raise a child than PG County because they're much safer and better schools. But also much whiter.

But this is just Haitians who I think are a solid plurality of Boston's Carribean population but not the majority.
Growing up in NJ, it was definitely not uncommon to find people born in Haiti to have poor English skills. They do tend to be those who left as teenagers or adults but even then many of them learned vernacular English or had a heavy accent. If you live in Miami or Brooklyn its not too difficult to mostly speak only Kreyol on a day to day basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City