Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Blue Ridge city is best overall?
Asheville 19 40.43%
Chattanooga 15 31.91%
Knoxville 2 4.26%
Roanoke 6 12.77%
Other 5 10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 05:26 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times

Advertisements

Asheville is a good bit more polished than Chattanooga with a great food scene, thriving arts community and is arguably one of the top "outdoor recreation" cities in the US. Plus it's actually in the mountains versus Chattanooga's view of them. Asheville sits at over 2100 feet with higher elevations in/around town. Chattanooga is about as flat as a board at just under 700 feet in elevation, so if comparing mountain cities....not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 12:03 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
This is a good thread. Asheville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Roanoke. I really love all of them. I prefer this weather climate to any in the U.S. It's perfect for what I like. The scenery, nice people, and low cost of living makes them even better. The only nick I would give would be to Asheville. Their cost of living is no longer affordable and probably will never be again. Still, my wife and I love visiting. But Knoxville (very underrated, IMO), Chattanooga, and Roanoke I would recommend to most anyone (depending on what they're looking for).

Old 11-06-2020, 07:41 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Asheville
Chattanooga
Knoxville

Roanoke

Old 11-08-2020, 07:09 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Asheville is a good bit more polished than Chattanooga with a great food scene, thriving arts community and is arguably one of the top "outdoor recreation" cities in the US. Plus it's actually in the mountains versus Chattanooga's view of them. Asheville sits at over 2100 feet with higher elevations in/around town. Chattanooga is about as flat as a board at just under 700 feet in elevation, so if comparing mountain cities....not so much.
lived in Chattanooga for several years in late 2000's - would have stayed but due to work obligations I was forced to move

of all the larger Southeast cities, Chattanooga is one of two that has an incredible mountain backdrop (Asheville is the other). Please be aware that 2,000+ feet mountains surround the immediate city center of Chattanooga. Yes, the elevation in the immediate city center is 680 feet, but again the surrounding suburbs are MUCH higher in elevation. Signal Mountain (immediate suburb northwest of Chattanooga) sits at an elevation of 2000+ feet. I lived on Missionary Ridge (at the top) just south of DT Chattanooga at over 1000 feet. The enclave of Lookout Mountain (to the SW of Chattanooga) is over 2000 feet as well. A vivid memory of my Chattanooga years: watching multiple fireworks displays from Missionary Ridge over the Chattanooga metro while sitting in my front lawn during the 4th - amazing

I would move back to Chattanooga in a heartbeat however I would have to consider some of it's cons:

public schools (at the time) were mediocre - I've never seen so many private schools in my life - most were very expensive (I suppose these parents could afford private due to no state income tax)
lacked some retail options/amenities (no Costco, Trader Joe's, etc) - I think the Chattanooga metro has a Costco now? (where is the nearest TJ's to Chattanooga?)

Old 11-08-2020, 07:16 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
As of now, Knoxville and Roswell are the two closest. But Google tells me that yesterday there seems to have been movement on a site in Chattanooga for Trader Joe’s. Might be time to pull up Zillow.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:00 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
lived in Chattanooga for several years in late 2000's - would have stayed but due to work obligations I was forced to move

of all the larger Southeast cities, Chattanooga is one of two that has an incredible mountain backdrop (Asheville is the other). Please be aware that 2,000+ feet mountains surround the immediate city center of Chattanooga. Yes, the elevation in the immediate city center is 680 feet, but again the surrounding suburbs are MUCH higher in elevation. Signal Mountain (immediate suburb northwest of Chattanooga) sits at an elevation of 2000+ feet. I lived on Missionary Ridge (at the top) just south of DT Chattanooga at over 1000 feet. The enclave of Lookout Mountain (to the SW of Chattanooga) is over 2000 feet as well. A vivid memory of my Chattanooga years: watching multiple fireworks displays from Missionary Ridge over the Chattanooga metro while sitting in my front lawn during the 4th - amazing

I would move back to Chattanooga in a heartbeat however I would have to consider some of it's cons:

public schools (at the time) were mediocre - I've never seen so many private schools in my life - most were very expensive (I suppose these parents could afford private due to no state income tax)
lacked some retail options/amenities (no Costco, Trader Joe's, etc) - I think the Chattanooga metro has a Costco now? (where is the nearest TJ's to Chattanooga?)
Yes, there is now a Costco just over the border in GA because the sales tax is cheaper (so I'm told, haven't verified the tax comparison). Looks to be a trend as I think there's also a Bass Pro Shops and a Home Depot or something to that effect right off 75.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:42 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Chattanooga is actually very hilly as far as cities East of the Mississippi go. Even along the riverfront in Downtown Chattanooga, it is not flat terrain. The Hunter Museum of Art stands on a hundred foot cliff on the river bank, for example. You'll find out very fast that Chattanooga is hilly if you try biking there.

Then there's Missionary Ridge in the East, and North Chattanooga is even Hillier.

Technically outside city limits, but Lookout Mountain has a very steep incline railway, almost 1400 foot elevation change in only a mile. The roads going up to Lookout Mountain are all switchbacks, that should tell you how steep it is.

Don't forget the nearly thousand foot deep Tennessee River Gorge, either, or Signal Mountain.

I will agree that Asheville has more panoramic views of mich bigger mountains but Chattanooga is very hilly--and I say this as someone who grew up in Orange County, California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City