Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 4,378 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in Louisville but I've been laid off and my job offers are all outside the metro area. Which city would you recommend? This is what we're looking for:
Postwar 4 br house on min 1/2 an acre, budget $350k. Good schools, open space, and quiet are big factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 10:03 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faksko View Post
My wife and I live in Louisville but I've been laid off and my job offers are all outside the metro area. Which city would you recommend? This is what we're looking for:
Postwar 4 br house on min 1/2 an acre, budget $350k. Good schools, open space, and quiet are big factors.
Do you have a preference for living in the city proper vs. suburbs?

Are there certain amenities you seek (I.E. shopping, sports, museums, airport, etc.)?

Old 02-10-2021, 10:07 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
I think your money will go further in the Cleveland and Cincinnati metros and you'll have an easier time finding what you want within a short commute time/distance than in the Detroit metro. Cincinnati in particular gets pretty exurban not more than 10 or 15 miles or so from the city border so that's probably your best bet for having your pick of locations. And it's an Oho River town like Louisville so it should have a familiar feel to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Do you have a preference for living in the city proper vs. suburbs?
I think the "quiet" and "open space" criteria militate away from city living.

Last edited by Bitey; 02-10-2021 at 10:16 PM..

Old 02-11-2021, 02:58 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Cincinnati is the best metro, by far, of these 3. One of the best (in my rankings) and most underrated metros in the nation, IMO. You will be able to find what you're looking for there. Though I do have a soft spot of Cleveland and it does have its merits, it's a shrinking/dying metro area. Detroit's suburbs are good and the central city is on the upswing, but it still has a ways to go.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:13 AM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
I suggest checking out Cincinnati, especially if you have lived in Louisville...the two cities are quite similar and only 88 miles from each other.

Your budget would work well in Cincy and the Metro area is easy to get around.

Cleveland would be my next suggestion, and Detroit would be last.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:53 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I would pick the suburbs of Detroit. It's a much larger metro and the suburbs have great schools in many areas. Detroit offers more vibrancy and more of everything in general, compared to the other 2 cities, despite its tough times and bad reputation.

Midtown and downtown are coming back strong and looking good these days.

I'd pick Cincinnati as a 2nd location, definitely suburbs there too. Cincinnati has a nice downtown, pretty neighborhoods in some areas and a great zoo.

Cleveland would be a distant third for me. Some suburbs in Cleveland are nice, but the city lacks a ton of vibrancy and spark that the other 2 cities have going on. Some bright spots here and there, but third in this comparison.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I think your money will go further in the Cleveland and Cincinnati metros and you'll have an easier time finding what you want within a short commute time/distance than in the Detroit metro. Cincinnati in particular gets pretty exurban not more than 10 or 15 miles or so from the city border so that's probably your best bet for having your pick of locations. And it's an Oho River town like Louisville so it should have a familiar feel to it.

I think the "quiet" and "open space" criteria militate away from city living.
Not necessarily. There are places where you can find that in the city proper.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:26 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Not necessarily. There are places where you can find that in the city proper.
Then that's not exactly "city living," is it? That's "quiet and open space living surrounded by the city."

I suppose you can find that, in a rare exception to the rule. But someone specifically LOOKING for the rule is usually not looking for those rules within a small pocket of exception unless maybe that's their only practical option for some reason.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:33 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
I would choose Cincinnati. The city still retains many of the type of houses you are interested in for bargain prices. The city has good schools, good shopping, and easy going population. It would be similar culture-wise and close to family if you have some left in Louisville. Cost of living is slightly cheaper than Cleveland. Violent crime and run down areas are also lower.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Then that's not exactly "city living," is it? That's "quiet and open space living surrounded by the city."

I suppose you can find that, in a rare exception to the rule. But someone specifically LOOKING for the rule is usually not looking for those rules within a small pocket of exception unless maybe that's their only practical option for some reason.
To be clear, I didn't say anything about "city living."

Specifically, I asked if the OP had a preference for being in the city proper or the suburbs.

It would change my answer depending on their preference, because I would recommend Detroit's suburbs over the Cleveland/Cincinnati suburbs and Cleveland/Cincinnati proper over Detroit proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City