Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What metro is the most similar to Northern Virginia?
Atlanta 45 56.25%
The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham) 17 21.25%
Hampton Roads (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, etc.) 1 1.25%
Richmond 3 3.75%
New York (Long Island, Westchester Co, etc.) 1 1.25%
Boston 2 2.50%
Dallas/Fort Worth 4 5.00%
Other 7 8.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 03:38 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,194 posts, read 7,658,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Eh not really. NOVA has seen most of its significant growth post 2000.

NNJ was well established prior to then. NNJ has many "rail car" suburbs from the 50s.

NOVA did not have any real transit until the late 70s. And its expansion with transit is only recent from 2010.

So not really comparable at all.

I use to live in DC and I have family in NNJ. They feel nothing alike on any level.

Share with me the Wallington, NJ version of NOVA and we can have a discussion.

Or the Hoboken of NOVA? There is nothing like that. NOVA didn't really start its boom until the year 2000 in terms of development.

NNJ was well established before then.
Well it depends on what part of NOVA being discussed. Much of what you're talking about relates to outside the Beltway NOVA. Inside is a bit different though. Much of that area was built prior to 2000, and has only increased density like NNJ although not AS dense. Columbia Pike in Arlington could easily fit in some areas of NNJ without much fanfare or difference. NOVA also had several "booms" in the late 60's when the suburban mall/car era began to take off, and a late 80's-90's boom prior to the 2000's one. There are "some" not many, pre war suburbs inside the beltway, and there are post war suburbs built well before the 2000's inside the beltway NOVA as well.

NOVA is not "like" NNJ on the surface, but they are comparable. NNJ and NOVA both have two cities each in the top ten dense "mid size" cities in the US (JC, Newark, Arlington, and Alexandria). The two regions are incredibly diverse, and above average for suburbs in diversity. I agree there aren't many or maybe really just 1 older "rail car" suburbs in NOVA or at least until you get to the deep exurbs. But NOVA is as physically connected via transit, bridges etc. to DC, as NNJ is to NYC.

I would say that outside the Census designated NE, and maybe Chicago etc., that inside the Beltway NOVA burbs come closer to NNJ than any other burbs compare to NNJ. Now OUTSIDE the beltway is a different story, and IMO could compare to a number of burbs in the South or West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 09:17 AM

12,245 posts, read 8,176,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Eh not really. NOVA has seen most of its significant growth post 2000.

NNJ was well established prior to then. NNJ has many "rail car" suburbs from the 50s.

NOVA did not have any real transit until the late 70s. And its expansion with transit is only recent from 2010.

So not really comparable at all.

I use to live in DC and I have family in NNJ. They feel nothing alike on any level.

Share with me the Wallington, NJ version of NOVA and we can have a discussion.

Or the Hoboken of NOVA? There is nothing like that. NOVA didn't really start its boom until the year 2000 in terms of development.

NNJ was well established before then.
i see it. From a planning POV, NNJ an NOVA Are wicked similar.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:48 AM

27,779 posts, read 28,882,722 times
What part of Atlanta is similar to Northern Virginia?

Does Atlanta have a large Asian and Middle-Eastern population?

Old 02-14-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What part of Atlanta is similar to Northern Virginia?

Does Atlanta have a large Asian and Middle-Eastern population?
The nodes of High Density CBDs and Employment Centers (Think, Sandy Springs, Midtown, Alpharetta, Dunwoody to Tysons, Reston, Dulles, Arlington, etc) immediately goes to SFHs. Connected by rail, both are growing FAST, both are increasingly large tech magnets (Microsoft to ATL, Amazon to NOVA).

Both have Southern Routes, but transplants and the booming economy have erased a lot of it. Close to mountains and both are really desirable places to live.

Demographically? ATL is less diverse than NOVA.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:49 AM

9,423 posts, read 9,430,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
The only thing I can think of my OP didn't include PHL and included BOS was the recent waves of development and glassy appearance in a lot of parts, both are polished metros of the Northeast.
Not that I want the areas to be similar, but you could argue that King of Prussia and Tysons are the most similar edge cities in the Mid-Atlantic. The area surrounding Tysons is more sprawly though, around KoP is partial sprawl and partial Main Line (which is not sprawl).

But yea, I find Philadelphia, Boston and NYC metros much more similar than DC to any of them, (not a good or bad thing, just the way they were all developed).

Old 02-14-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not that I want the areas to be similar, but you could argue that King of Prussia and Tysons are the most similar edge cities in the Mid-Atlantic. The area surrounding Tysons is more sprawly though, around KoP is partial sprawl and partial Main Line (which is not sprawl).

But yea, I find Philadelphia, Boston and NYC metros much more similar than DC to any of them, (not a good or bad thing, just the way they were all developed).
Yeah that's the only reason I could think...

Also exploring Main Line in about a month. Any have-to-see towns?

Old 02-14-2021, 09:40 PM

7,064 posts, read 19,370,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I voted Atlanta, but then I saw Raleigh-Durham, which is a really good comparison. I have a friend from Dallas-Ft Worth who said that that area has a similar feel to NOVA, but I'm not familiar with the area. So I'm going Atlanta and Raleigh.
Those three areas--Atlanta, DFW, and Raleigh were the first to come to my mind.

I see a few people saying NNJ, but having lived here 15 years after 20 years in VA, I don't see it.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:42 AM

9,423 posts, read 9,430,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah that's the only reason I could think...

Also exploring Main Line in about a month. Any have-to-see towns?
Are you staying on the Main Line or in Philadelphia?

The good thing is that its easy to get around via train or car.

Ardmore for a nice downtown district (Suburban Square), Bryn Mawr anchored by a La Colombe, Villanova (anchored by the university campus), Wayne (cute downtown with some really nice restaurants). Then it becomes for spacious as go West toward Berwyn, which is now anchored by a fancy garden center (Terrain), and a few other retailers.

And of course there are a lot of really parts off of Lancaster Ave (Route 30), that lead through the windy streets of estates in Gladwyne, Villanova, Radnor, etc. The areas near the Ardrossan Estate (Newtown Road, Darby-Paoli Road, Brooke Road, Abrahams Lane, etc. are very nice, you could enjoy getting lost). Also, near Bryn Mawr College, Philadelphia Country Club, Waverly Road, Monk Road, Aronimink Golf Club.

Basically the entire area surrounding Lancaster Ave in the Gladwyne, Villanova, Wayne, Bryn Mawr corridor is filled with nice enclaves for a drive, and tons of walking trails.

Also, if you have time, Media, PA (not on the Main Line) is my hometown, a similar vibe with a walk-able downtown and nice food options, surrounded by some nice areas and parks (Ridley Creek State Park).

Enjoy! You can DM me if you need specific suggestions beyond this.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:58 AM

1,693 posts, read 1,120,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Those three areas--Atlanta, DFW, and Raleigh were the first to come to my mind.

I see a few people saying NNJ, but having lived here 15 years after 20 years in VA, I don't see it.
Yeah. Nothing to see because they're not alike at all. NoVA is Atlanta/Sunbelt like in almost every way.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:29 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,976,313 times
NOVA is affluent, educated sprawl of a world class metro with an identity distinct from its anchor city. So I'd say Silicon Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City