Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What metro is the most similar to Northern Virginia?
Atlanta 45 56.25%
The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham) 17 21.25%
Hampton Roads (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, etc.) 1 1.25%
Richmond 3 3.75%
New York (Long Island, Westchester Co, etc.) 1 1.25%
Boston 2 2.50%
Dallas/Fort Worth 4 5.00%
Other 7 8.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 01:31 PM

9,689 posts, read 9,427,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
NOVA is affluent, educated sprawl of a world class metro with an identity distinct from its anchor city. So I'd say Silicon Valley.
Growth: yes,
Jobs: definitely
Politics: not seeing it, DC is a very type A metro
Demographics: incomes yes, but DC is missing large Asian population
History: not seeing it
Culture: both could not be more different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 02:28 PM

2,860 posts, read 4,628,105 times
Quote:
NOVA is affluent, educated sprawl of a world class metro with an identity distinct from its anchor city. So I'd say Silicon Valley.
Overall, Silicon Valley probably aligns more with Seattle than NOVA.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:12 PM

12,190 posts, read 8,057,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Are you staying on the Main Line or in Philadelphia?

The good thing is that its easy to get around via train or car.

Ardmore for a nice downtown district (Suburban Square), Bryn Mawr anchored by a La Colombe, Villanova (anchored by the university campus), Wayne (cute downtown with some really nice restaurants). Then it becomes for spacious as go West toward Berwyn, which is now anchored by a fancy garden center (Terrain), and a few other retailers.

And of course there are a lot of really parts off of Lancaster Ave (Route 30), that lead through the windy streets of estates in Gladwyne, Villanova, Radnor, etc. The areas near the Ardrossan Estate (Newtown Road, Darby-Paoli Road, Brooke Road, Abrahams Lane, etc. are very nice, you could enjoy getting lost). Also, near Bryn Mawr College, Philadelphia Country Club, Waverly Road, Monk Road, Aronimink Golf Club.

Basically the entire area surrounding Lancaster Ave in the Gladwyne, Villanova, Wayne, Bryn Mawr corridor is filled with nice enclaves for a drive, and tons of walking trails.

Also, if you have time, Media, PA (not on the Main Line) is my hometown, a similar vibe with a walk-able downtown and nice food options, surrounded by some nice areas and parks (Ridley Creek State Park).

Enjoy! You can DM me if you need specific suggestions beyond this.
I think I will just drive around, I live like 20-25 minutes from the PA border and am in Urban Planning. So might as well see more of Philadelphia as its literally, right there. I also want to see the King Of Prussia here to get this damn hype all figured out. I need to stop being lazy and go drive around Main Line when I have the chance instead of training to Jersey City or Manhattan...

Villanova is definitely on the list. Will save this post.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:11 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,138 posts, read 7,592,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Growth: yes,
Jobs: definitely
Politics: not seeing it, DC is a very type A metro
Demographics: incomes yes, but DC is missing large Asian population
History: not seeing it
Culture: both could not be more different
Washington MSA has the 5th highest Asian population in the US, but yes it pales in comparison to SF/SV Asian population. Although by percentage NOVA's may be more diverse.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:30 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,127,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Orange County, CA?! The closest thing to Orange County on the east coast is Palm Beach County, FL. I can’t think of any similarities, on paper or socially, between the two.
I'm sorry, but Florida offers absolutely nothing comparable to Orange County. OC is an economic powerhouse on its own and has a massive professional class and local, high-paying job base. In that regard, the only places that come close are Santa Clara County and maybe NoVa. I don't even think NYC metro has a comparison (suburban CT is a stretch given that many jobs are in NYC).

The two biggest industries in Palm Beach County are real estate and agricultural. Sounds nothing like OC.

Old 02-15-2021, 06:05 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,405,687 times
Quote:
I'd say in terms of astetic, NoVa probably looks similar to the Atlanta suburbs... especially the far out suburbs like Prince William County and Loudoun County but in terms of attitude and culture, I'd say Silicon Valley.

It's a completely different world here from Atlanta or The Triangle. I live in Arlington, people here are very snobby, elitist and stuck up. I found people in NC to be super friendly and outgoing.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:57 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,138 posts, read 7,592,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I'm sorry, but Florida offers absolutely nothing comparable to Orange County. OC is an economic powerhouse on its own and has a massive professional class and local, high-paying job base. In that regard, the only places that come close are Santa Clara County and maybe NoVa. I don't even think NYC metro has a comparison (suburban CT is a stretch given that many jobs are in NYC).

The two biggest industries in Palm Beach County are real estate and agricultural. Sounds nothing like OC.
NOVA and OC compare to some degree because of how big they are (both around 3 million). Also while having tons of sprawl, the each have urban centers, and their own individual feel from their core city. They also bring amenities to the region, large business centers, economically strong, and NOVA being the most diverse center of it's metro area. While very different in ways, they also have those things in common.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:13 AM

281 posts, read 171,382 times
Having lived in both the NoVa and Atlanta suburbs the first thing that struck me when I moved was that they felt very similar in a lot of ways.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:48 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,964,311 times
Atlanta’s suburbs give me NOVA.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:23 PM

1,376 posts, read 934,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What part of Atlanta is similar to Northern Virginia?

Does Atlanta have a large Asian and Middle-Eastern population?
There is a large Asian population in the northern burbs of Atlanta. Some neighborhoods in Alpharetta and Cumming are entirely Indian. Duluth/Suwanee is probably the 3rd best Koreatown in the nation right behind LA and Bergen County Jersey.

https://goo.gl/maps/h9yvWcV93QVfzg3U8
https://goo.gl/maps/jow5QAKKKZhMkbbA8
https://goo.gl/maps/wXqay8yH9yudtrfi7
https://goo.gl/maps/3SzHD9URef1qgEqn8 (looks empty here but they're all filled with Korean businesses now with the largest Korean spa - Spaland) https://www.yelp.com/biz/spa-land-and-sauna-duluth-3 (reviews)
https://goo.gl/maps/VJMwj2YePDshQzzw5
https://goo.gl/maps/tTT8cHYfUTVFCTBS9

https://goo.gl/maps/gCDjgNigiRZNU6cr8 (the only megamart outside of Korea, 3 floors of Korean shopping and food)

These are some of the Korean business centers in Duluth and Suwanee. There are a lot more and even more on the way (new construction plazas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City