Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 03:03 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,950,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

Mansfield and Western Cedar Hill are the comparison of Fayette CO, Both have similar avg salaries and both have good schools although are catered to different industries respectively.
I like Mansfield but to me it's more of a burb of FT Worth. Easy shot on 287. Also relatively easy to get to Arlington/GP near I-30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 03:12 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,548,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
All I can say is right now I would kill for a 105* July day, this is another level of unbelievable cold, especially for Central Texas, I havent felt 0*F since I lived in Chicago, and when you go outside in that, its literally painful.
Yep. It’s the high moisture content of this kind of cold air that can make it feel painful.

Though the current moisture content of the air in a place like Austin, Texas (60% humidity with a roughly 23-degree air temperature) is not as high as say a Buffalo, New York, where the current humidity level of 82% very likely makes Buffalo’s current 24-degree air temperature feel even more painful than Austin’s current 23-degree air temperature.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I've been to Cedar Hill when going out to Midlothian where a friend grew up. Nothing wrong with it, just not really remarkable. And past there is where surburbia ends and it's much less developed until Midlothian. It's <20 miles from downtown Dallas which is the same distance as like Union City/Fairburn. Beyond that you don't have a Fayetteville or a PTC. Waxahachie is a decent size along 35E, I think similar to Newnan. But the surburban sprawl isn't really connected to it. Just aren't as many people on the southside of Dallas
Yep.

There’s not as many people and not as much development on the south side of Dallas as there are on the south side of Atlanta because Dallas’ major airport (the massive DFW International Airport) is located on the north side of the DFW Metroplex.

Atlanta’s south side has the world’s busiest airport (Hartsfield-Jackson Airport) and a thriving and dominant Film/TV production industry that in recent years has been anchored by such sites as Trilith Studios (formerly Pinewood Atlanta Studios) in Fayetteville, Tyler Perry Studios (now located on the former site of Fort MacPherson in Intown South Atlanta), the set of the popular recently ended “The Walking Dead” which was produced on location in Senoia in Coweta County and a thriving TV/Film production scene in Downtown Newnan.

An outer-suburban South metro Atlanta jurisdiction like Henry County has also had the robust combination of a dominant tourism industry to the south in neighboring Florida (that normally generates massive amounts of long-distance vacation traffic on Interstate 75) and a couple of explosively growing international seaports at the Ports of Savannah and Brunswick to effectively leverage economic development opportunities and generate much growth and development off of.

The south side of Dallas does not quite seem to have those unique growth-generating dynamics that the south side of Atlanta does.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:51 PM

148 posts, read 120,497 times
Interesting responses in the Dallas version of this thread

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dall...d-atlanta.html

Old 02-17-2021, 04:27 PM

153 posts, read 132,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToGA View Post
Interesting responses in the Dallas version of this thread

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dall...d-atlanta.html
Yeah haha that’s my thread too and I’m seeing a lot of similarities

Old 02-17-2021, 07:12 PM

4,440 posts, read 6,321,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Instead of winds bringing cooler temperatures and a marine layer from northeast-to-southwest along the east side of the Appalachian Mountains as might sometimes occurs with a wedge effect, what appears to be happening now with the weather seems to look almost like a ‘reverse wedge’ effect, with the Gulf and Subtropical Jet Stream pushing relatively warmer Gulf air from south/southwest-to-northeast along the east side of the Appalachian Mountains and seemingly using the mountains to help block the severe Arctic cold air that currently is lingering to the northwest of the Appalachians.
There's a big enough distance between Texas and Atlanta that one area can be warm while the other experiences a cold snap. It really just depends on where the jet stream decides to buckle. With that said, what's going on in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and so on right now is a freak of nature. Record breaking cold and length of cold not seen in many decades or even ever recorded. Georgia definitely lucked out this round because this is not fun. Typically Dallas will have some cool/cold snaps a few times throughout the winter that last a few days and then it's warm again. The warm weather season is typically longer out here and more days of sunshine and lower humidity than in Atlanta. Overall though, Atlanta has a more temperate climate as it's temps don't get as hot in the Summer, so there's much less variation thanks to it's tree cover, latitude and altitude.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
There's a big enough distance between Texas and Atlanta that one area can be warm while the other experiences a cold snap. It really just depends on where the jet stream decides to buckle. With that said, what's going on in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and so on right now is a freak of nature. Record breaking cold and length of cold not seen in many decades or even ever recorded. Georgia definitely lucked out this round because this is not fun. Typically Dallas will have some cool/cold snaps a few times throughout the winter that last a few days and then it's warm again. The warm weather season is typically longer out here and more days of sunshine and lower humidity than in Atlanta. Overall though, Atlanta has a more temperate climate as it's temps don't get as hot in the Summer, so there's much less variation thanks to it's tree cover, latitude and altitude.
Yep.

Every cold spell and winter season can be different, but the city’s close proximity to and the nearby presence of the Appalachian Mountains really seemed to help Atlanta avoid the worst of the worst of the cold this particular time around.

Though, there admittedly are many times when those same Appalachian Mountains may actually contribute to inclement winter weather in the Atlanta area.

That’s particularly in the parts of the Atlanta metro area and region north of the city that are closest to the mountains (particularly north of the Top End of the I-285 Perimeter) where icy winter weather sometimes can occur with relatively increased frequency during colder and more active winter seasons.

The further north that one gets away from Atlanta towards the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, the less uncommon inclement winter weather can be in North Georgia.

But the immense and overwhelming natural beauty of the foothills and mountains of North Georgia makes it worth it and is a more than fair trade-off to have to deal with the threat of some inclement winter weather every now and then.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:35 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,968,088 times
^

22F is the coldest it has been this season at ATL, 24F higher than DFW. Hopefully those tender plants that were rated to Zone 7 and up got special care unlike ATL, where Zone 9 plants so far would survive Even places much further north than Atlanta in the Northeast have not gotten as cold all winter that Dallas have gotten. -2F is just ridiculously cold and is more typical for the coldest in a winter in KS, MO, or southern IL/IN. Boston's coldest this winter has been 7F, with Philadelphia only getting down to 19F which is borderline subtropical compared to what DFW hit on Tuesday morning. The Atlantic/mountains do provide noticeable moderation even at a much higher latitude since the prevailing westerly winds tend to compress air down the mountains and then warming things up. A lot of cloudy night this winter in the East also means that there haven't been ideal conditions to radiate a lot of that warmth back into the atmosphere.

However, since ATL is closer the tropics and further from snow/ice cover from airmasses that advect in from the north compared to those coastal NE cities, it warms up faster in the spring and summers last longer. Looking at the extended forecast, it seems like after this weekend, winter is over for Atlanta with widespread 60s in the forecast for next week and beyond. The NE has those "mud season" 40s and 50s to contend with after this cold snap passes and March can still have some hard freezes up there. Dallas is almost like Denver in that it can warm up and cool down quickly due to its continental location; its just that its southern latitude means that it takes more exceptional airmasses to provide such an extreme event. Usually, the warm air from Mexico/The Gulf dominates Dallas, and thus it usually warms up just as quickly in the spring like Atlanta does and makes for those hot summers.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:40 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,415,432 times
What's happening in Texas right now is a freak event, historically. It's purely chance that it happened in Dallas and not Atlanta. It is very possible that with climate change we'll see these "freak" events with more regularity, but in that case I don't think Atlanta will be uniformly spared.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:54 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 10 days ago)

8,401 posts, read 5,556,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
This is interesting. I have only been to Texas once, so I'm enjoying reading about the differences. Any comment on how much history plays a role in the city's functioning today? How is diversity, what different groups live out there vs. ATL and which city is more integrated? Is there a "Dallas accent" like there is an Atlanta accent?
Since you asked about demographics I can definitely help there. I would definitely give a nod to Dallas on diversity and improving diversity but its not that far ahead of Atlanta. Here are the numbers:

New immigrant group growth from 2010-2019. All over 10K listed:

Dallas/Fort Worth - 8 Countries
India: 73,631
Mexico: 32,699
China: 27,996
El Salvador: 22,650
Nigeria: 19,137
Nepal: 17,041
Venezuela: 11,921
Philippines: 11,316

Atlanta - 4 Countries
India: 43,042
Vietnam: 15,558
Venezuela: 14,181
Jamaica: 11,945

And here are the racial groups that grew from 2010-2019 including Hispanic (even though it isnt a race):

Dallas/Fort Worth
Hispanic: 451,038
Black: 256,956
Asian: 211,677
White: 191,041

Atlanta
Black: 360,803
Hispanic: 181,855
Asian: 109,566
White: 89,301

The main difference is that DFW is simply growing a lot faster. DFW has double the Asian and white growth of Atlanta as well as more than double the Hispanic growth. Atlanta is much more significant in black growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City