Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one of these states would you live/
New york 17 11.97%
Maryland 17 11.97%
New Jersey 16 11.27%
Connecticut 9 6.34%
Florida 33 23.24%
Massachusetts 26 18.31%
Pennsylvania 24 16.90%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 10:19 AM

626 posts, read 464,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I feel like if Massachusetts had 19 million people it’s be rather unpleasant.

Florida has almost 22 million now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 10:47 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I feel like if Massachusetts had 19 million people it’s be rather unpleasant.

Plus most of Florida migration is people who used all of Massachusetts’s, New Jersey’s etc Public Amenities And then defused they didn’t want to pay for them when they didn’t need them anymore
Love it or hate it, Florida is far-and-above the winner between all of these states in terms of in-migrants. I think Northeasterners (and especially New Englanders) overestimate the appeal of the region to outsiders, much to its detriment.

There's a reason the Northeast only grows literally because of immigration. And now even that's called into question. By 2030, the Northeast will likely begin to shrink considerably.

Not trying to be a "hater" by any stretch, as I'm a happy resident of the Northeast (although increasingly I am detesting winter with each passing year), but the reality is the reality. And as they say, demography is destiny.

Last edited by Duderino; 02-28-2021 at 10:57 AM..

Old 02-28-2021, 11:14 AM

21,650 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Love it or hate it, Florida is far-and-above the winner between all of these states in terms of in-migrants. I think Northeasterners (and especially New Englanders) overestimate the appeal of the region to outsiders, much to its detriment.

There's a reason the Northeast only grows literally because of immigration. And now even that's called into question. By 2030, the Northeast will likely begin to shrink considerably.

Not trying to be a "hater" by any stretch, as I'm a happy resident of the Northeast (although increasingly I am detesting winter with each passing year), but the reality is the reality. And as they say, demography is destiny.
Oh no doubt northeasterners think the area is far more desirable than it is. No doubt about that.

Shoot I wouldn’t be surprised if I spent even more time in FL that I wouldn’t want to move there.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:24 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Yet somehow Florida will have a higher population than all those states combined sooner than you think. Many more tourists too. Pales is a rather strong word wouldn't ya say?
They all rank higher in Education, Healthcare, Quality of Life, and Income/Wages. Cant deny that, it fits OPs requirements. Simply, 4 of the best states the country has to offer, however..They provide top-tier products and accessibility and the prices show. FL is significantly cheaper than said NE states.

Also, FL has 22 million people.
NJ+MA+CT+MD = 24 million people in a far, nearly 3/5 the land size. FL would have
22 million people in 65 million square miles. (Florida)
24 million people in 38 million square miles (MA+NJ+CT+MD).
-FL would have to have a population of 42 million people to have the same density as the other states. IM not saying it isnt possible, but FL would effectively have to double in size.. and with climate change and the exploding housing market making it unaffordable for many, Im weary FL grows past 35 million.

Not taking away FL's credibility here, but when you stack it up to 4 of the 10 best states in the country, it makes a tough comp for OPs factors.

But again, OP asked for Education, Healthcare and Economy. If we throw in some other factors, FL shoots up in the rankings.

Taxes? CT loses most of its appeal here. Anything positive CT has is outweighed by its unfathomable, dumbfounded and mismanaged tax system. Property Taxes, Auto Taxes, Income Tax are just absurd... unrealistic even.
-NJ also has ridiculous taxes. More so than CT. Factor in that with its blight, and the fact that most of the nice towns are cirled by sprawling freeways and stip malls, the appeal goes way down.
-MA is f*cking boring for someone 20-39, outside of the natural environment. And the classism is ridiculous.
-MD is also boring, pricey and has high taxes too.
-FL makes up points here. Taxes are better than all here and it can be fun to do stuff. Miami, Tampa, and Orlando all have good nightlife scenes.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 02-28-2021 at 11:36 AM..

Old 02-28-2021, 11:36 AM

626 posts, read 464,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Not taking away FL's credibility here, but when you stack it up to 4 of the 10 best states in the country, it makes a tough comp.

Who says they are the best? You?

Old 02-28-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Who says they are the best? You?
By OPs reqs, yes. He asked for Healthcare, Education and Economy/Wages.

Im not going to respond in outside factors that dont have anything to do with what OP asked for.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:43 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
1. NJ- Extreme balance between high earners, diveristy, density, picturesque subrbs, so much variety in price point, best location, lots of culture and high energy. Love Jersey. Too many police/too strict, overly ugly in some areas, taxes.

1a. MA The culture/character of MA is bar none. Amazing economy, food, amenities and services. Martha's Vinyard, Berkshires, Skiing, Boston-just a lot of fun getaways. Legal weed is a plus for me. Just priced too high and a bit too boring and cold.

2. FL Just loads of fun to be had in FL for great prices. Can't beat the sunshine and the energy of the state. Love me some Orlando!

3. MD Not as expensive as NJ or MA. Great weather, Love how they have fun in Maryland though! Ocean City, Fells Point, Apple picking....love it. Love the black middle class having a home there. Lacks for character, traffic is annoying, not a huge fan of the people a little flaky and not friendly.

4. CT So manageable, relatively affordable, polite people, good location, homey, diverse, amazing air quality and upkeep of towns (minus the cities). Good services. Very boring and very segregated. High taxes and weak economy. I like that its decentralized though.

5. NY NYC great, amazing even. NY not great, too much like PA.

6. PA Phlly and Pittsburgh themselves are great. Dislike almost anything else I've ever seen in PA.

pretty much agree with your assessment

my ranking would be

1. NJ
2. NY
3. PA
4. MD
5. MA
6. FL

FL has disney and NASA and brightline which is actually a private passenger rail system. It also has gators, hurricanes, and humidity

Northeast needs a ton of infrastructure upgrades especially passenger rail

Last edited by Dangerous-Boy; 02-28-2021 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-28-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
pretty much agree with your assessment

my ranking would be

1. NJ
2. NY
3. PA
4. MD
5. MA
6. FL

FL has disney and NASA. It also has gators, hurricanes, and humidity

Northeast needs a ton of infrastructure upgrades especially passenger rail
If MA wasn't so damn expensive and had better liquor laws it could crush this. But for some reason it has to rival CA in prices.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:32 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
If MA wasn't so damn expensive and had better liquor laws it could crush this. But for some reason it has to rival CA in prices.

MA has clam chowder, lobster rolls, and donuts. However, it feels soulless and closes too early.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:44 PM

14,029 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

The thing is Florida gets retirees. The reason people wait until they’re 63 to move to Florida is because the Job Market, Schools etc are crap. Once those things don’t matter and literally the only thing that matters. Is your social security/pension/401k isn’t taxed and you don’t have to shovel.

Massachusetts gets a ton of talent. That’s why Boston’s economy is growing just as fast as Dallas and faster than Atlanta despite its population not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City