Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 12:50 PM

506 posts, read 476,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The large segment of the real world outside of CD doesn't distinguish Nova from the rest of the state and can't name anything about Nova besides it being a DC suburb, but nice try...
It looks like some Virginians might disagree with you on that point...

https://fredericksburg.com/columns/a...ec4f63109.html

https://augustafreepress.com/real-vi...es-case-study/

We are all the real Virginia | Opinions | fairfaxtimes.com

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/2...inia-democrats

https://bearingdrift.com/2008/10/20/...-as-an-insult/

https://www.fairfaxdemocrats.org/200...virginia-blue/

https://www.washingtonian.com/2008/1...he-51st-state/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 01:54 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
Quote:
So much to unpack here...

In the real world, outside of CD, the average person doesn't distinguish Nova from Virginia. How do I know this? I'm a California native who has lived in 7 states with family across even more and I've traveled this country more extensively than most people, 30 states visited...

Within Virginia, Virginians recognize Northern Virginia as Virginia, because that's what it is, and when you live in areas outside Nova you see the uniquely Virginian characteristics that tie Nova to the rest of The Commonwealth, particularly the other two populated areas...
I'm not sure what your point is because I'm not making the point that anyone distinguishes NoVA from Virginia. I'm arguing the NoVa area is the most dominant city/cities in Virginia.

With that said, I've encountered that mindset (that NoVA is a different state) in a lot of different places in Virginia. Different subject from this though.

Quote:
I'm not buying that you know "many" Virginians who share your outsider's, transplant perspective. I've been here too long, in all three of the major areas, to know that your stance isn't shared by "many" native or longtime Virginians. You're not talking to a typical CD poster who reads data sheets and has no substantive knowledge of Virginia, you're talking to an actual Virginian who grew up here who you can't pull the wool over...

The large segment of the real world outside of CD doesn't distinguish Nova from the rest of the state and can't name anything about Nova besides it being a DC suburb, but nice try...

I'm not from here but I've lived in VA 9 years now. That's long enough to have developed a feel for the terrain. I don't need you to "buy" any of the claims I've made to know what I've witnessed. But relax, I'm also not saying you're wrong. There are over 8 million people in Virginia. It's entirely possible we've experienced different things in our interactions with others in this state. Could it be both of our impressions are accurate? Because you know...people are different and don't all think the same way?

To the poster who made the point the NoVA cities don't roll off the tongue the way Richmond or Norfolk do, that's a fair point. But it's also mitigated by the reality most people probably can't even associate any given state with its respective capital city (I'd be willing to bet across this country the vast majority of high school students would be unable to even identify Virginia's capital or if given the name Richmond, place it in the right state), much less another city like Norfolk, which isn't exactly a New York, Los Angeles or Chicago type name/city.

I'm backing out of this because, well, I don't care enough about the subject. I forgot how passionate people get on the CvC forum about stuff that is actually quite trivial.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:55 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
Kansas City is *almost* twice as big as St. Louis, which has been shrinking chronically since 1960.
The Missouri portion of St. Louis' metro area alone is approximately the same size as KCMO's entire bi-state metro area. KCMO's metro area is also far more evenly split between Missouri and Kansas than St. Louis' is between Missouri and Illinois, so that's also to KCMO's detriment in terms of influencing Missouri.

KCMO was also a declining city for a period of time. It was able to mask its losses by annexing its adjacent suburbia. St. Louis is an independent city, however, so it can't annex anything in St. Louis County. This has left St. Louis with the same geographic boundaries since 1876.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:41 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Lmao you either didn't read these articles or have no real way to interpret them so I'll help you out:

•First link: comedic op-ed by someone from Culpeper (a place I've been and has much in common with parts of Northern Virginia)...

•2nd link: "poll" by an outlet in Waynesboro, a podunk town in the Shenandoah Valley that leaves out nuances that can intentionally mislead. Example----->talks about how most of Nova is Nationals country but "Real Virginia" is Braves.....

The Nationals are a new organization that is still not yet 20 years old. The Braves were Virginia's rooting interest for two reasons: 1)there was no Washington major league franchise for well over a generation (~32 years); and 2)the Braves were the major league sponsor of Richmond’s team for 42 years, most of which was during the time there was an MLB void in Washington...

These two things combined made it easy to root for the Braves...

Currently and for some time now, the Nats are Central Va's team as well, as they clearly market in Richmond, coupled with the fact that the city has never embraced its MiLB team since the departure of the Braves 13 years ago, so Braves fandom has steadily declined simultaneously as Nats fandom has increased...

This is only one example in this article that doesn't tell you most Virginians view Nova as "alien", which is the false premise you're hanging your hat on...

•3rd link: seriously? An op-ed about the rantings of Jerry ****ing Falwell, who comes from a section of Southside Virginia with fewer than 300,000 residents. This is your smoking gun to support your statement?

How far do you wanna go with this?

•4th link: details how Virginia has turned into a blue state without the assertion that Virginians view Nova as "alien"...

•5th link is a 2008 article from a conservative rag-mag afraid of Virginia turning blue...

•6th link is another 2008 article where they say "certain parts" of Virginia refer to Nova as "fake Virginia" but fail to detail what "certain parts" are located...

•7th link is your best one yet still focuses acutely on Southside and Southwest Va's while speaking of anti-Nova sentiment...

Old 03-06-2021, 03:45 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I'm not sure what your point is because I'm not making the point that anyone distinguishes NoVA from Virginia. I'm arguing the NoVa area is the most dominant city/cities in Virginia.

With that said, I've encountered that mindset (that NoVA is a different state) in a lot of different places in Virginia. Different subject from this though.

I'm not from here but I've lived in VA 9 years now. That's long enough to have developed a feel for the terrain. I don't need you to "buy" any of the claims I've made to know what I've witnessed. But relax, I'm also not saying you're wrong. There are over 8 million people in Virginia. It's entirely possible we've experienced different things in our interactions with others in this state. Could it be both of our impressions are accurate? Because you know...people are different and don't all think the same way?

To the poster who made the point the NoVA cities don't roll off the tongue the way Richmond or Norfolk do, that's a fair point. But it's also mitigated by the reality most people probably can't even associate any given state with its respective capital city (I'd be willing to bet across this country the vast majority of high school students would be unable to even identify Virginia's capital or if given the name Richmond, place it in the right state), much less another city like Norfolk, which isn't exactly a New York, Los Angeles or Chicago type name/city.

I'm backing out of this because, well, I don't care enough about the subject. I forgot how passionate people get on the CvC forum about stuff that is actually quite trivial.
This is all good and well, yet none of it reinforces your original statement. Again, you're not talking to some random City-Data poster who has no clue of Virginia culture other than what they read on internet sites like this, which has routinely, year-over-year, misrepresented and mischaracterized Virginia....You're talking to an actual Virginian...

Its all good, I'll back out too, but I know too much to be wrong on this one. Your line was that Nova is viewed as the dominant Virginia city by Virginians, and that isnt true...

Old 03-06-2021, 06:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
Quote:
This is all good and well, yet none of it reinforces your original statement. Again, you're not talking to some random City-Data poster who has no clue of Virginia culture other than what they read on internet sites like this, which has routinely, year-over-year, misrepresented and mischaracterized Virginia....You're talking to an actual Virginian...

Its all good, I'll back out too, but I know too much to be wrong on this one. Your line was that Nova is viewed as the dominant Virginia city by Virginians, and that isnt true...
Uh...no it isn’t. I never qualified it with the “by Virginians.” I agree it’s time to back out but I can’t let that glaring misrepresentation of what I’ve said/didn’t say stand unchecked. I’ve not limited my statements to the perceptions of Virginians and only mentioned local perceptions in passing as a side conversation.

Respond to the arguments I’ve made not the ones you wish I made.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:22 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Maryland's dominant city isn't in Maryland.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:34 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is still Maryland's most dominant city. If Maryland's suburbs were more competitive for jobs like NoVA, it would probably be a different story.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:43 PM

496 posts, read 350,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Haha New Jersey's dominant city isn't in New Jersey

Old 03-06-2021, 08:29 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Baltimore is still Maryland's most dominant city. If Maryland's suburbs were more competitive for jobs like NoVA, it would probably be a different story.
That makes Baltimore 3rd then because those decisions are made in Annapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City