Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most ridiculed
Portland 20 5.73%
Jacksonville 8 2.29%
Tampa 3 0.86%
Phoenix 7 2.01%
Cleveland 116 33.24%
Oakland 4 1.15%
Detroit 144 41.26%
Pittsburgh 3 0.86%
Cincinnati 2 0.57%
Newark 17 4.87%
Other 25 7.16%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 07:22 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times

Advertisements

Nominated Tucson simply because of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clqXS4fEjBo

Family Guy and The Simpsons have ridiculed Gainesville, Florida too (well Family Guy moreso poked fun at U of Florida). Here's The Simpsons "roasting" Gainesville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2jGlSA2JPE

Guessing alumni of U of Georgia, Florida State, and Arizona State are writers for these shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 07:57 PM

3,577 posts, read 3,080,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I agree with most of your first paragraph. Especially younger crowds wanting to be bigger than everyone. except the last sentence. I wouldn’t say music makes people a certain way, but it definitely has a role in what we think of other cities. Snoop Dogg and co. Gave a new perspective to LA. And so forth.

Now for your second paragraph claiming drill music isn’t mainstream is laughable. Now I will give you that a lot of people don’t know what drill music is by name, but it is a very mainstream genre. You have almost certainly heard it and just figured it to be hip hop. Drill music has been one of the more mainstream forms of hip hop for a while. I don’t expect you to be able to differentiate each and every form of hip hop that emerges, but not knowing the name and it being mainstream is two different things. The biggest names in music period from Kanye West, Drake, Future, etc have got into drill music at some point.
I don't disagree that the music and musicians have given you, personally, perspectives on places that otherwise you may not have had. I don't see that as universally being true for everyone, or even most people.

Your LA example is interesting, because there are literally hundreds of pop musicians of all genres that each represent a different perspective of their LA influence in their music, some wildly different.

Now don't laugh, but I see a huge difference between sub-genres that influence the mainstream, versus mainstream itself.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:50 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,402,316 times
Easily Cleveland. Lots of the cities on this list have things or one thing (Detroit car industry) attached to them that makes them somewhat respected a little.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:02 PM

3,890 posts, read 2,204,375 times
Between Cleveland and Detroit.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:29 PM

994 posts, read 782,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I didnt vote for Cleveland because noone really talks about Cleveland. I dont really hear about it outside the tourism videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

but those were 2009. 2020 Cleveland looks cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIbmT2Rs8vw
I guess I'll scroll through the other 9 pages of this thread, but it didn't take long to prove my point. These videos are now as dated as the river catching on fire. Nobody talks about Cleveland, yet, people got about 50 years worth out of a river catching fire and a series of dumb ass videos (which have only been linked on here about 1,000 times now) ... at least we're not Detroit, right?

Old 04-19-2021, 12:10 AM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I don't disagree that the music and musicians have given you, personally, perspectives on places that otherwise you may not have had. I don't see that as universally being true for everyone, or even most people.

Your LA example is interesting, because there are literally hundreds of pop musicians of all genres that each represent a different perspective of their LA influence in their music, some wildly different.

Now don't laugh, but I see a huge difference between sub-genres that influence the mainstream, versus mainstream itself.
Actually, Chiraq has given me 0 perspection of that. I spent a decent amount of time in Chicago right after graduation high school which was right around the height of the Chiraq era (around 2015). And I didn’t get to see the rough parts (though I want to make a trip specific for this). The perception has affected how society views Chicago. Most of us nerds on this site know more about cities in general, so we aren’t as impacted by these kind of trends.

Quote:

100%. NWA and Snoop Dogg gave a new perspective of LA that counters the bubble gum Hollywood perseption.

Quote:

Are you trying to tell me Kanye West isn't mainstream? Future? Drake? Drill music isn't some random sub culture. It's one of the more popular forms of hip hop post 2014. The only thing I agreed with you is that many people don't know what drill music is. But this is just because they know it as hip hop, the most popular genre in the world right now.

I think this thread is proof that perceptions change overtime. Chi-raq is a newer (very mainstream) perception of Chicago, and this "mistake by the Lake" is an older tie to Cleveland. If you scroll through, you'll notice those who notice the Chicago perception notice the Cleveland perception less and vice versa.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 04-19-2021 at 12:27 AM..

Old 04-19-2021, 12:14 AM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
I 100% agree with Massachoisetts. I rarely hear anything negative about Cleveland. The most notable Cleveland references I’ve seen as it relates to pop culture is Lebron winning the finals with the Cavs (Lebron boosts anything tied to him), Ted from How I Met your mother, and the occasional MGK reference.

The only negative pop culture reference as it relates to Cleveland is how bad the Browns were for a while. They one a single game in two entire seasons. That's about it though.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:41 AM

257 posts, read 160,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
I guess I'll scroll through the other 9 pages of this thread, but it didn't take long to prove my point. These videos are now as dated as the river catching on fire. Nobody talks about Cleveland, yet, people got about 50 years worth out of a river catching fire and a series of dumb ass videos (which have only been linked on here about 1,000 times now) ... at least we're not Detroit, right?
Wouldn't the last part of your statement imply Detroit is more ridiculed?

Old 04-19-2021, 08:55 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,088,935 times
I think Cleveland has some real points of ridicule through the years like mistake on the lake, the browns ineptitude, etc.

That said, I think Detroit has definitely been ridiculed more as the city of no hope and the story of a once great American city turning to rubble. That storyline has been with Detroit for as long as I can remember and I'm 44.

Cleveland has some real classic punch lines associated with it, Detroit has the history of the burned out, hollowed out large American city.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:49 PM

3,577 posts, read 3,080,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Actually, Chiraq has given me 0 perspection of that. I spent a decent amount of time in Chicago right after graduation high school which was right around the height of the Chiraq era (around 2015). And I didn’t get to see the rough parts (though I want to make a trip specific for this). The perception has affected how society views Chicago. Most of us nerds on this site know more about cities in general, so we aren’t as impacted by these kind of trends.

100%. NWA and Snoop Dogg gave a new perspective of LA that counters the bubble gum Hollywood perseption.

Are you trying to tell me Kanye West isn't mainstream? Future? Drake? Drill music isn't some random sub culture. It's one of the more popular forms of hip hop post 2014. The only thing I agreed with you is that many people don't know what drill music is. But this is just because they know it as hip hop, the most popular genre in the world right now.

I think this thread is proof that perceptions change overtime. Chi-raq is a newer (very mainstream) perception of Chicago, and this "mistake by the Lake" is an older tie to Cleveland. If you scroll through, you'll notice those who notice the Chicago perception notice the Cleveland perception less and vice versa.
Definitely the bolded. A city in 2021 may have no resemblance to the same city of decades past, or even of just a couple of years ago. But first impressions may be the longest lasting, and these impressions are told to others and repeated long after they are no longer valid, especially bad impressions.

Regarding the artists you describe, it seems to me that drill is just one of many influences. To use an old example, I doubt if anyone who even knows what skiffle music is could call it mainstream, but it was an early influence on the Beatles who were definitely mainstream. They are known as a "rock and roll" band, not a skiffle band. By the same token Kanye is known as a "hip hop" artist, not a drill music artist. It's what they are "known as" that exemplifies the mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City