Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three cities has more friendlier people, less snobbier people, and less mean people?
Phoenix, AZ 34 39.53%
Denver, CO 11 12.79%
Salt Lake City, UT 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 12:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I don't think "rude" is synonymous with "snobbish" or "pretentious."

Oen can be well-mannered and polite while still thinking they're better than others.
I agree that rude people don't have to be pretentious but pretentious people are rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 01:16 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Agree to disagree.

For example, you can't convince me that Boston isn't way more pretentious than Detroit. Or that San Francisco isn't way more pretentious than Philadelphia.
Be that as it may, pretentiousness doesnt necessarily equate to rudeness and snobbery. I dont find people in Philadelphia to be any friendlier than people in SF.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:17 PM

406 posts, read 341,284 times
Quote:
These claims about Dallas being racist and snobby still befuddle me. It may have been true at one point in time, but I haven't encountered either since I've been here.

In fact, as a black male, I've gotten way more negative vibes in the smaller country towns/cities across the Deep South than the major cities.
I've also received more negative vibes in smaller country towns/cities in the Deep South. However, for me, Dallas is quite racist for a major metro area. I've had the worst experiences with racism from Asians, Indians and Muslims here and want to move someplace where I can be far away from that.

It would be exciting for me to move somewhere like Phoenix, SLC or Denver.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
I've also received more negative vibes in smaller country towns/cities in the Deep South. However, for me, Dallas is quite racist for a major metro area. I've had the worst experiences with racism from Asians, Indians and Muslims here and want to move someplace where I can be far away from that.

I'm interested in hearing about these interactions with these groups of people.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:14 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
It depends on which people you run into, from each city. Those who feel the need to be "snobby" because they're unsure of themselves, will be that way. Those who are confident in their own skin, and realize that people can live where they choose, will be more friendly. Snobs come from the need to feel superior. I find it hilarious when people are snobs...do they think they own the city where they live? Did they create it? Is it named after them? Didn't think so. There sure seem to be many on this forum, though, who think they're all it, based on where they live. An abundance of those kinds of people make a place very unattractive, to me.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:38 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I found Phoenix to be awesome between the people and overall vibe.

Unfortunately, when I went to PHX, it was the summer of 2017... during the crazy heat wave they had. Highs were 110 116 121 123 119 116 .. so it wasnt particularly enjoyable. But, the people were amazing!
Interesting. Despite the city experiencing its hottest year on record in 2017, the highest temperature ever recorded in Phoenix was 122 in 1990.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:44 PM

88 posts, read 85,939 times
Quote:

Dallas is definitely not a friendly city. I did not get good vibes there. People seem rather very rude and very pretentious and fake. Phoenix gives off better and more positive vibes. They say Texas is friendly, but I have to disagree with that. I've encountered some rudeness in Texas overall. Lubbock has some extremely rude people as well, almost to the extent Tucson does. People in Lubbock always rudely say, "excuse me" for no reason.

Phoenix is friendly. I'm starting to think Salt Lake City might be friendly too. I will make it out to Utah one of these days. I will also revisit Denver after not having been there since 2008. I've only been to the airport in 2018. It was mostly connecting passengers, so it was hard to get a vibe from the city.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:29 PM

406 posts, read 341,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaCountyResident View Post
Dallas is definitely not a friendly city. I did not get good vibes there. People seem rather very rude and very pretentious and fake. Phoenix gives off better and more positive vibes. They say Texas is friendly, but I have to disagree with that. I've encountered some rudeness in Texas overall. Lubbock has some extremely rude people as well, almost to the extent Tucson does. People in Lubbock always rudely say, "excuse me" for no reason.

Phoenix is friendly. I'm starting to think Salt Lake City might be friendly too. I will make it out to Utah one of these days. I will also revisit Denver after not having been there since 2008. I've only been to the airport in 2018. It was mostly connecting passengers, so it was hard to get a vibe from the city.

I never got good vibes in Dallas and feel exactly the same way as you do. I've lived in the Dallas area for a little more than 3 years now and I am ready for a big change of environment. Texas is definitely not as friendly as many people think it is.

Last edited by jaysan89; 04-25-2021 at 10:44 PM..

Old 04-26-2021, 09:48 AM

88 posts, read 85,939 times
Quote:
I never got good vibes in Dallas and feel exactly the same way as you do. I've lived in the Dallas area for a little more than 3 years now and I am ready for a big change of environment. Texas is definitely not as friendly as many people think it is.
I used to have a friend in the DFW Metroplex who came to visit Arizona. It was so funny because he actually liked Tucson a lot better than Phoenix. He said he did not like the vibes in Phoenix. For me, I like the vibes in Phoenix better. I overall just like Phoenix a lot better than any of the Arizona towns. And when I say Phoenix, I'm referring to all of Maricopa County.

And then everybody says Austin is very nice. I did not like Austin. It felt like driving in LA with all the traffic. Somewhere that took 20 minutes to get to took me an hour and a half. And the people are mean and rude too in Austin. San Antonio was better, better vibes too, but super poor infrastructure. Houston was not friendly either and felt so industrial.

Texas overall, it's not a friendly place. I'd say El Paso has the rudest people in Texas. I've never been to the other border towns in Texas, so I can't speak for them.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:49 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaCountyResident View Post

Salt Lake City in my opinion isn't that friendly, but a majority of the residents are very polite and rudeness is extremely rare there.

I prefer the personality traits of Salt Lake City and Metropolitan Phoenix over Denver extreme arrogance and pretention.

Denver's airport has always had good customer service. The airport in Denver has alot of very happy people who have dreamed about taking a Colorado vacation and are finally in their dream state.

Denver is not outwardly rude. The service at stores and coffee shops is there but usually with no smile.

The main thing about Denver is just the extreme arrogance and pretentiousness of the population. There is likely not a place on this earth that has so many visually unappealing men and women who pretend they are at the top of the scale on looks and then they were brag about their athletic accomplishments and pretend all they do is climb 14'ers when they aren't in good shape.

If one wants to be in a city with phony people pretending to be atheletes who only talk about materialism then Denver is a perfect city.

Denver also has alot of very dishonest, unethical people. Many of them only want friends because they need more people to join their multi tier marketing scheme.

I wouldn't recommend people looking for a city based on friendliness to choose Salt Lake City. It is a moderately friendly and very polite city.

Salt Lake City is a very, very superficial city though. I think some of the negative comments people make is more jealousy or envy because a majority of the men and women are extremely intelligent and extemely good-looking.

I would say that Salt Lake City sort of has a very similar vibe to Tempe meets Chandler.

In regards to Texas. I thought El Paso was polite but very cliquish. I liked El Paso best out of the Texas cities.

San Antonio I was there a few months, I wanted to like San Antonio because it is a very appealing, affordable city with a great climate and great scenery but the residents of San Antonio were extremely unfriendly.

It is hillarious to me that San Antonio ranks so high on friendliness. I wonder if it's just they have nice workers at the dozens of huge tourist attractions based on the selectiveness of the tourism-based employers, because the vast majority of residents of San Antonio seemed mean, unhappy, judgemental, very pretentious.

Almost everyone in San Antonio seemed very, very snobby and aloof. A tremendous amount of very mean and very unhappy people for no reason.

Austin was not rude at all compared to San Antonio but Austin is a very, very, very aloof and pretentious city in my opinion.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 04-26-2021 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City