Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Washington or Texas
I'd Prefer Texas 46 38.33%
I'd Prefer Washington (the state) 65 54.17%
I Don't Like these states so I'd Prefer Neither 6 5.00%
I Love these states so I'd Prefer Both! 3 2.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 12:24 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
That's not remotely true, but you can believe what you want.
You know you're desperate when you're in the same region as Canada's warmest (and "most livable/desirable") city. Apparently Canadians' ideal weather is gloomy and cool. Understandable as their winters in the rest of Canada are as harsh as the Arctic.

Also the Pac NW is very remote to the rest of the U.S. Learned that after enduring a 5-hour domestic flight (plus the 2 time zone changes ahead) from SEA to IAH on my way home from The Philippines a decade ago.

A 2 hour flight from Houston can land me in L.A., N.Y.C., or Puerto Vallarta. S.F. is my cooling off spot during the summer since it's closer. Prefer CA for my West Coast fix because both great cities of the Western U.S. are inside the state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 01:48 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
So you're saying Washington has the shortest flights to Asia from the continental US.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:51 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You know you're desperate when you're in the same region as Canada's warmest (and "most livable/desirable") city. Apparently Canadians' ideal weather is gloomy and cool. Understandable as their winters in the rest of Canada are as harsh as the Arctic.

Also the Pac NW is very remote to the rest of the U.S. Learned that after enduring a 5-hour domestic flight (plus the 2 time zone changes ahead) from SEA to IAH on my way home from The Philippines a decade ago.

A 2 hour flight from Houston can land me in L.A., N.Y.C., or Puerto Vallarta. S.F. is my cooling off spot during the summer since it's closer. Prefer CA for my West Coast fix because both great cities of the Western U.S. are inside the state!
Why didn't you just fly from Manila to Houston? That's a 20 hour flight isn't it? Manila to Seattle? 14.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:50 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
This is an urbanity forum, so of course Washington wins.
Lol, the bigger urbaner city usually pulls on C-D, but I picked Washington because everything else besides the Seattle CSA looks cool! The entire western part (west of the inlet sound thing) of the state is basically frontier still! I'd like to be in a rainforest! The Columbia river valley is so exciting where power and water easily available and people can terraform the land into all sorts of cool things like orchards and vineyards, such an amazing agricultural place!

I could never live in Texas. The state is such a corporate sellout in every regard... $$$ is the only thing they look at for their natural resources, hence why everything's a private ranch... The nature is incredibly subpar for what the states potential is (they used to have jaguars roaming around for instance). The vast majority of the state outside of the triangle isn't growing, there's no investment there, only extraction... Smaller city Washington by contrast is doing well!

Old 05-13-2021, 07:55 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
So you're saying Washington has the shortest flights to Asia from the continental US.
And Hawaii.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

A 2 hour flight from Houston can land me in L.A., N.Y.C., or Puerto Vallarta.
I don’t think anyone from Houston should diss the weather in Seattle. There is no comparison in overall comfort. You actually see people walking outside in Seattle year round. It’s actually a pleasure to walk around. Hence way lower BMI compared to Houston. Seattle is full of houses with amazing temperate weather gardens and there are places to walk to besides the end of the cul de sac.

I just walked with my kids to the local ice cream store a mile away. Tons of people out with kids and strollers. We got sidewalks and retail stores on sidewalks, not parking lots. Not a cloud in the sky. 70F. Flowers steadily blooming for the past two months. Same weather for the next five days. This is common.

Last edited by Guineas; 05-13-2021 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-13-2021, 08:13 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
Quote:
Yeah whatever.

This past weekend, south sound (own photo).

I grew up in the OK/TX area. To answer the OP:

- Brighter Future: About equal, also depends on your line of work.
- Best Major Cities: Seattle >> Dallas, Houston
- Best Secondary Cities: Austin
- Topography & Landscapes: WA. This is no contest.
- Economy: Both states have no state income tax and have strong economies, and also depends on your line of work. However, WA unemployment rate in March 2021 is 5.4%, while TX is 6.9%, despite WA having more severe lockdowns. Rural WA also has much less poverty than rural TX.
- Higher Education: Tie. Both have strong (and cheap) state schools that local recruiters like.
- Weather: WA. There is a reason why so few residential areas in Texas have sidewalks that go anywhere useful, because it's not appealing to walk in 98F with 60% humidity and mosquitos everywhere.
- The State I Prefer is? WA

If you're a practical guy who is a homebody, loves cranking the A/C to 64F and want to maximize your bang for buck and live in a huge cookie cutter house, then Texas is probably for you. If you like year-round greenery, great hiking easily accessible every weekend, mild temperate weather, and can accept a price premium to live in one of the most beautiful and varied terrains in the world, then Western WA is for you.
Seattle over DFW or Houston why? You never support that summary.

Washington's lockdown tighter than Texas in 2020 based on what comparative data? Texas also had weather event in February 2021 that hindered business. As far as economy, Texas economy is far more diverse with international trade, energy, transportation, finance and manufacturing. Texas consistently has finished for at least 15 straight years, ranked first or no worse than 3rd for best states for business (CNBC, Fortune and Forbes Magazine). The state is second in total GDP behind only California and also second in headquarters for Fortune 500 companies.

Rural Washington is miniscule compared to rural Texas. Look at eastern Washington, besides Spokane, who is there? And Spokane is nothing to smile about whereas Texas has many smaller markets people enjoy.
Sorry but Washington has two schools UW and WSU. Texas has 3x as many of equal or better quality.

Mosquitos aren't prevalent throughout Texas. Its really the southeast area of the State. The State is as big as France, so don't think the weather and topography is all the same. There's plenty of greenery in 2/3rds of the state which is still more than 3x as big as all of Washington and quite a few lakes to go boating.

Yes its really hot in July and August but its also sunny probably 4x as much as Washington. How often is one seen swimming in Puget Sound outside of two months of the year without a wetsuit.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:14 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
I don’t think anyone from Houston should diss the weather in Seattle. There is no comparison in overall comfort. You actually see people walking outside in Seattle year round. It’s actually a pleasure to walk around. Hence way lower BMI compared to Houston. Seattle has houses with amazing temperate weather gardens and there are places to walk to besides the end of the cul de sac.

I just walked with my kids to the local ice cream store a mile away. Tons of people out with kids and strollers. We got sidewalks and retail stores on sidewalks, not parking lots. Not a cloud in the sky. 70F. Flowers steadily blooming for the past two months. Same weather for the next five days. This is common.
There is many more days of this type of weather in Texas than in Seattle... You are right, it is no comparison.

By the way, you just described today in Austin, TX as well.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:28 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
- Preferred Location = Texas
- Brighter Future = Texas
- Best Major Cities = Texas
- Best Secondary Cities = Texas
- Topography & Landscapes = Washington
- Economy = Texas
- Higher Education = Texas
- Weather = Texas

- The State I Prefer is? Texas
Ditto

Old 05-13-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
There is many more days of this type of weather in Texas than in Seattle... You are right, it is no comparison.

By the way, you just described today in Austin, TX as well.
Austin is already in the mid-80s, raining for the next ten days, and will be blistering in the next couple of weeks for months on end.

You have to be the world’s biggest homer to think that Houston has better weather than Seattle. It’s a clear sign of someone who has never been to Seattle for any period of time and just extrapolating from their own rationalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City