Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles vs Las Vegas vs Miami vs New Orleans
Los Angeles 76 44.44%
Las Vegas 34 19.88%
Miami 38 22.22%
New Orleans 23 13.45%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:36 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

Looks like most prefer Miami and Los Angeles, with New Orleans not to far behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:14 PM

10,210 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Out of these Las Vegas is the only one safe from natural disasters. I used to be from New Orleans and consider myself a proud Louisianan and a proud Southerner up to the point where I would fly the Confederate flag if I was white. I'm very proud of the culture in New Orleans and the distinctness of the region but I will never consider moving back because the government will never fix the levees up right. I don't have any faith in our government anymore and it will only get worse if the Democrats get the White House. The Dems power base is in the Northeast and California and they will never give Louisiana the necessary funding to protect it from future hurricanes. The Democrats and liberals have long neglected middle America and the South in favor of their home bases in the East Coast and California. Money that can be used in New Orleans will probably be given to urban redevelopment or public housing projects in New York City and San Francisco and Boston.

Miami is straight in hurricane territory and its ovverrun with illegals. Los ANgeles has an over 90% chance of being hit by a 8.0 or bigger quake in the next 20 years. Basically choosing Vegas is a process of elimination. The place is pretty pleasant though with plenty of sunshine, warm weather, beautiful desert scenery and cost of living is more reasonable than the other cities especially LA.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:32 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Out of these Las Vegas is the only one safe from natural disasters. I used to be from New Orleans and consider myself a proud Louisianan and a proud Southerner up to the point where I would fly the Confederate flag if I was white. I'm very proud of the culture in New Orleans and the distinctness of the region but I will never consider moving back because the government will never fix the levees up right. I don't have any faith in our government anymore and it will only get worse if the Democrats get the White House. The Dems power base is in the Northeast and California and they will never give Louisiana the necessary funding to protect it from future hurricanes. The Democrats and liberals have long neglected middle America and the South in favor of their home bases in the East Coast and California. Money that can be used in New Orleans will probably be given to urban redevelopment or public housing projects in New York City and San Francisco and Boston.
I know of a lot of people who share your opinion about Democrats with the same argument. But I am always curious how or in what way the Republicans would be better?

I always see Republican money going to corporations and military operations. Meaning healthcare will always go through the best company pensions and so forth, and small businesses being strongly discouragted (zoned to death and make everything car-oriented). Whereas when I see Democrats, I see A LOT of money would be going towards cities with urban problems - money into schools and healthcare bypassing corporations, etc.) I always think that cities like New Orleans or Philadelphia or Washington DC might get some of the money BACK INTO THEM rather than all the U.S. $$$ being sent abroad for corporate and military interests as the Republicans seem most interested in it.

But I realize a lot of people see these things from significantly different angles than I do however.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:52 AM

314 posts, read 1,036,807 times
The hurricane argument is lame. You have several days to leave ahead of a hurricane.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:16 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,004 times
I'd pick L.A. because there are so many different types of communities and neighborhoods to choose from. When I visited Las Vegas I was underwhelmed. Not a town I'd want to live in. And the desert, yuck. I think I'm one of the few people who really dislikes desert scenery. Visiting is okay, but I wouldn't want to live in such a barren place. Already lived in New Orleans, wouldn't want to go back really due to all the problems. Never been to Miami, but nothing I hear about it compels me to want to live there. Miami and Vegas just aren't my type of place.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Great jumping Jehosaphat! It's a tag team among cities. (I'm going with whoever Freddie Blassie is managing this week!)

Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 PM

32 posts, read 76,202 times
I have only been to Miami and I hated it there, but I would love to visit the other cities.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,051 times
Smile Las Vegas!

Las Vegas! Vegas is an awesome place to live and it actually has some REALLY nice neighborhoods, especially in Summerlin and Henderson. Southern Highlands and Macdonald Highlands have some homes that are nicer than anything I've seen in LA. The suburbs provide easy access to everything the city has to offer, while still maintaining a quiet, suburban feel. The restaurants are also fantastic.

I like Los Angeles, but traffic is a huge problem. There is also a major problem with graffiti, even in nicer areas like Beverly Hills.

Miami is nice for a Latin America vibe, but it's frequently humid, so it's nice to visit, but I would not want to live there. Get in, get out.

I wouldn't choose New Orleans because of the hurricane factor.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:26 PM

281 posts, read 472,605 times
LA destroys NOLA, why even put them in the same sentence?

Old 11-18-2013, 01:55 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
I've made fun of New Orleans a lot, out of my own ignorance and just overall terrible visit to the city back in 2004. I was just there this year over summer in July and really loved the place as a visitor but I wouldn't ever want to be a local. I've been reading for a while about the food in New Orleans on this board and the uncontrollable fanfare for it and always thought people were being delusional, I could see where they get their enthusiasm for now. The food in New Orleans is really too good, and the part that sucks is that when you leave, you wont be getting anything like it anywhere else.

As a place to visit, I'd go with Las Vegas and New Orleans, I haven't been to Las Vegas yet but I'd like to explore Las Vegas Boulevard with the help of Mali. It's the next American city I'm going to see of the ones I haven't, just haven't planned when yet.

As a resident, I'd go with Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City