Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin's downtown is more similar to Charlotte or Nashville?
Charlotte 20 20.83%
Nashville 64 66.67%
Neither, more like another city 12 12.50%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 06:04 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Probably better planned but Downtown Charlotte feels dead compared to Downtown Austin. Austin is easily the liveliest downtown in Texas.
Downtown Charlotre is not dead nor does it feel that way....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 07:30 PM

128 posts, read 57,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Downtown Charlotre is not dead nor does it feel that way....
Does Charlotte have an answer to sixth street in Austin or Broadway in in Nashville? Doesn’t have to be a strip but any blocks of districts?

I went to Austin for work twice this year and it felt quite robust in crowd, what people were doing (locals vs workers vs. casual people, etc. lots of diversity not in terms of race but just people in general.)

Old 04-09-2024, 07:53 PM

479 posts, read 242,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Is UT not considered to be in DT Austin? I wasn't sure, but if it is then the population in DT Austin has to be the largest.
Not really

Old 04-09-2024, 08:09 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAmerica_US View Post
Does Charlotte have an answer to sixth street in Austin or Broadway in in Nashville? Doesn’t have to be a strip but any blocks of districts?

I went to Austin for work twice this year and it felt quite robust in crowd, what people were doing (locals vs workers vs. casual people, etc. lots of diversity not in terms of race but just people in general.)
Sixth Street is overhyped. Every city evolves, but Austin was so much fun in the 80's and early 90's before all the hi-rises and tech booms that followed - I wish those who missed out could have experienced it back then. Now, fun can still be had, but it just seems like a watered-down, over-commercialized, overpriced, manufactured version of its former self.

Old 04-09-2024, 09:19 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:

I never said Charlotte had those streets. What I said is that Uptown Charlotte is not dead. There is NO one Street where people are , it is spread all over Uptown including inside the Overstreet mall. I understand these cities have touristy downtowns but let's not act like Uptown Charlotte is dead. There is plenty to do including having all the major sports arenas, convention center, etc Uptown...come on man.

Old 04-09-2024, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
I never said Charlotte had those streets. What I said is that Uptown Charlotte is not dead. There is NO one Street where people are , it is spread all over Uptown including inside the Overstreet mall. I understand these cities have touristy downtowns but let's not act like Uptown Charlotte is dead. There is plenty to do including having all the major sports arenas, convention center, etc Uptown...come on man.
The poster said dead *in comparison to downtown Austin* (and Austin was easily the liveliest in TX)

I took that to mean more going on / energy in downtown Austin than downtown Charlotte. Not that downtown Charlotte is dead in general.

It’s probably the energy from tourist why the poll is so lopsided. If this was about skylines, I think Austin and Charlotte would be closer. It just so happens Nashville and Austin just have strong perceptions of, well. “Cool” places to hang out.

Old 04-09-2024, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Sixth Street is overhyped. Every city evolves, but Austin was so much fun in the 80's and early 90's before all the hi-rises and tech booms that followed - I wish those who missed out could have experienced it back then. Now, fun can still be had, but it just seems like a watered-down, over-commercialized, overpriced, manufactured version of its former self.
Too popular, everybody goes there problem that plagues most overhyped areas I presume?

Austin’s not my vibe but I at least like the sense of “normalcy” of just having energy and a lot of seemingly regular average people in their downtown. I find it depressing to be in a downtown where it’s mostly office buildings, hotel by the convention center surrounded by concrete parking garages everywhere [Im not talking about Charlotte but in general of some cities.] Downtown Austin felt like a proper neighborhood.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:33 AM

12,819 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I agree, but Rainey Street has been the saddest evolution arc for me. I was there this past fall for the first time in about 7 years, and I couldn't believe what it looked like. I loved that little strip when it was all bars and beer gardens in backyards and restored old houses. It's unrecognizable. Sixth Street is definitely a bit of an over developed tourist trap at this point, but at least I still recognize it.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:56 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I agree, but Rainey Street has been the saddest evolution arc for me. I was there this past fall for the first time in about 7 years, and I couldn't believe what it looked like. I loved that little strip when it was all bars and beer gardens in backyards and restored old houses. It's unrecognizable. Sixth Street is definitely a bit of an over developed tourist trap at this point, but at least I still recognize it.
Agree. It was magnificent but also short lived. Had maybe a ten year run? Before that Rainey was a hood

Old 04-10-2024, 09:09 AM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Too popular, everybody goes there problem that plagues most overhyped areas I presume?

Austin’s not my vibe but I at least like the sense of “normalcy” of just having energy and a lot of seemingly regular average people in their downtown. I find it depressing to be in a downtown where it’s mostly office buildings, hotel by the convention center surrounded by concrete parking garages everywhere [Im not talking about Charlotte but in general of some cities.] Downtown Austin felt like a proper neighborhood.
Sure, everyone has different lived experiences and "normalcy" is subjective. I feel a lot of what made Austin special during my time there (offbeat attitude, artists, local musicians, music venues, staples, festivals like Aqua Fest, record shops, club scene, raves in the warehouse district, affordability, and some hippies thrown in) has faded away as things do over time and have been replaced with tall structures, supersized/commercialized music festivals, and a sense of superficiality mixed with a join the club mentality - almost like people discovering how great Depeche Mode or Erasure were, only 30 years later. Back then and before people arrived late to the party, people walked around with smiles on their faces as if we were all in on the same secret as to how special Austin was. Austin’s rising cost of living in recent years has disenfranchised the very people who made the city so distinct. Also, Austin always had a liberal vibe, but that live-and-let-live environment has been replaced by and become a player in far-leftist progressive policies and politics. I still visit Austin occasionally and have fun there, but in more recent years, Austin feels like watching someone you love become someone you don't recognize. A little disorienting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City