Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 07:19 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,489,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerUSA45 View Post
Yes, employment ultimately will be the final decision maker. I will spend time in both places, but wherever I can find work I will have to land (of course with a remote job, that won't matter). Other than that, as stated in a previous reply - I am actually leaning more towards CC. The slower pace, cheaper costs, and ocean relaxation opportunities just seem to draw me.
Well if you’re that confident you’ll find remote work then I guess Corpus could be a good match. Personally, I think there are far better beach cities outside of Texas that are affordable. I’m not sure why the Gulf Coast Cities in Florida are not a consideration. That area has way better beaches. Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando are all fairly affordable, close to the ocean, and smaller than Fort Worth but offer similar amenities.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:34 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,657,507 times
I'm afraid I can't offer any opinions on Fort Worth, as my only experience with it is driving through it, some number of years ago. I visited Corpus Christi a couple months ago, and I must admit that I was a bit disappointed. First of all, there is a huge petro-chemical plant that stretches for at least a full mile, right next to I-37, as you enter the city. Not exactly a wonderful first impression. The "Central City" area (right below I-37 and next to the Crosstown Expwy., Hwy. 286) looked pretty run-down. On the other hand, the downtown and beach area looked very nice, and the street that my hotel was on (Padre Island Drive, Hwy. 358) seemed pretty decent. I'm a major World War II buff, so much so that it was the aircraft carrier Lexington that drew me to visit the city in the first place. It alone made the trip well worthwhile for me.

To be fair, I did not see any part of the city south and west of Hwy. 358, nor did I see Padre Island. Just doing a random street view in that area (I "landed" on Twine Drive, FYI), that area looks much, much nicer than most of what I saw in the city. So I don't want to write off Corpus Christi or discourage you from going there. I just wanted to say that most of my own impressions weren't all that great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 11:02 AM

73 posts, read 68,253 times
Yes, Corpus Christi does look run down especially coming from i37 but the south parts of the city near Flour Bluff are the more richer areas of CC. It does have a slower pace to the city compared to San Antonio but overall I like it. There is wasted potential but who says it can't be fixed in the future. Like the other person said on here, it does feel isolated even though being only 2 hours from San Antonio. It does offer most city amenities that you would expect. If your learning towards CC, then go for it.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:45 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,179,307 times
Corpus Christi is nice enough for a visit and checks all of your boxes, but it is kind of isolated and it's a trek to get big city amenities. The Tejano culture there might be alienating if you don't have the background. It also has a strong working class vibe and does not have a lot of transplants so it might be difficult for an introvert to create a social life. You can get something similar from most Gulf Coast towns closer to Houston and enjoy the airport and better cultural amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City