Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Friendliness in Phoenix, AZ vs. San Francisco, CA vs. Los Angeles, CA vs. Dallas, TX vs. Tucson, AZ
Phoenix, AZ 5 12.20%
San Francisco, CA 1 2.44%
Los Angeles, CA 7 17.07%
Dallas, TX 19 46.34%
Tucson, AZ 2 4.88%
Allentown, PA 7 17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 11:26 AM

41 posts, read 29,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Trust me, they are. I used to live in Tucson and I used to be one of those people talking smack online about Phoenix. Phoenix residents for the most part do not even think about Tucson just like they don't really think about ABQ, but Tucsonans do get riled up about Phoenix, yet drive up to spend weekends here.
Yes, I agree with you. I used to live in Tucson and my God people were so rude and flat out mean. They say rude and mean things to you in public too. Phoenix is much much friendlier than Tucson. Phoenix does not have a lot of hospitality, but the people are nice in Phoenix for the most part. And I remember people in Tucson talking smack about Phoenix. They are all wrong about Phoenix, but Phoenicians are spot on right about Tucson.

I've found the northeast and The Bay Area both friendlier than Tucson. Even New York City is friendlier than Tucson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 03:15 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixInCentralArizona View Post
Yes, I agree with you. I used to live in Tucson and my God people were so rude and flat out mean. They say rude and mean things to you in public too. Phoenix is much much friendlier than Tucson. Phoenix does not have a lot of hospitality, but the people are nice in Phoenix for the most part. And I remember people in Tucson talking smack about Phoenix. They are all wrong about Phoenix, but Phoenicians are spot on right about Tucson.

I've found the northeast and The Bay Area both friendlier than Tucson. Even New York City is friendlier than Tucson.
Dang. Did you have some sort of falling out with someone from Tucson? Lol

I grew up in Tucson and briefly lived in Phoenix during the summer of 2018 (and regularly visit family there). In my experience, dontbelievehim is right in that most of the trash talking seems to go one way. I generally found that Tucsonians view Phoenix as the place to go if you wanted to go to a big sporting event, concert, go shopping, or take advantage of any other big city amenity that was not available in Tucson. I rarely heard any negativity about Phoenix growing up.

On the other hand, I can't tell you how many times I've heard Phoenix folk take swipes at Tucson. There's a reason Tucson has an insulting nickname (the dirty T) but Phoenix doesn't

Old 03-04-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post

I grew up in Tucson and briefly lived in Phoenix during the summer of 2018 (and regularly visit family there). In my experience, dontbelievehim is right in that most of the trash talking seems to go one way. I generally found that Tucsonians view Phoenix as the place to go if you wanted to go to a big sporting event, concert, go shopping, or take advantage of any other big city amenity that was not available in Tucson. I rarely heard any negativity about Phoenix growing up.

On the other hand, I can't tell you how many times I've heard Phoenix folk take swipes at Tucson. There's a reason Tucson has an insulting nickname (the dirty T) but Phoenix doesn't
I had really bad experiences and memories in Tucson. The majority of the people were really rude and rather self-centered and unfriendly, really cold. The people in Tucson are more hot blooded and they shout at you more than in Phoenix. I've been shouted at a lot in Tucson. I've been honked at a lot more there than I have in Phoenix. I also was treated really badly at work and at school in Tucson. The students at U of A are rather really stuck up and snobby. ASU has better and friendlier students and is more laid back.

With Phoenix, I've found that there are pockets of friendly and unfriendly people depending on the area. I live in Chandler, and my neighborhood is down to earth friendly and people say hi to you when you walk outside. The west valley is not super friendly and some of Mesa is not super friendly either as well as some of Tempe. Even those areas are nowhere near as rude as Tucson.

With Tucson, people were the same in all of Pima County. From Catalina Foothills to Marana to East Tucson, everyone was really cold and unfriendly. There were not any pockets of nice people there. Neighbors kept to themselves and kids didn't play outside with other kids.

Overall, Phoenix is friendly and overall Tucson is unfriendly. Those have been my experiences, but it differs with different people. One of my friends in Phoenix who spent some time in Tucson agrees with me 100% on this.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:56 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
From the list above, Dallas.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
From the list above, Dallas.
Dallas is really friendly and there is southern hospitality, but that's because it's in Texas and it's in the southeast. A lot of transplants from very friendly states such as Louisiana, Kentucky, Alabama, etc are all in Dallas. I prefer Phoenix because I love the Sonoran desert and I'd rather be close to California than to Shreveport, LA and Lubbock, TX. Dallas also has tornados too and is too humid in the summer.

The only city in Texas where people are very rude is El Paso. No hospitality in El Paso and its a lot like Albuquerque, especially the west side. Tucson was like El Paso is some aspects too. The rest of Texas is friendly.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:12 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post

I lived in both places. Neither place seems to be all that fond of the other however, I always felt that it was Phoenix snobbery that provoked the Tucsonans. That and to some degree the fact that the UofA represented Tucson and ASU represented Phoenix in the mind of Tucsonans.

This idea that Tucsonans aren't "friendly" strikes me as odd simply because Tucson is a lot smaller and more connected than Phoenix is despite the fact that they are both pretty transient places.

Tucson is a giant small town that still centers around the University and the core area for activities and entertainment. Phoenix is something totally different.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I lived in both places. Neither place seems to be all that fond of the other however, I always felt that it was Phoenix snobbery that provoked the Tucsonans. That and to some degree the fact that the UofA represented Tucson and ASU represented Phoenix in the mind of Tucsonans.

This idea that Tucsonans aren't "friendly" strikes me as odd simply because Tucson is a lot smaller and more connected than Phoenix is despite the fact that they are both pretty transient places.

Tucson is a giant small town that still centers around the University and the core area for activities and entertainment. Phoenix is something totally different.
I just was never a Tucson person. And for some reason my experiences were not good. Tucson also reminded me too much of El Paso.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:35 AM

8,614 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I wouldn't necessarily call it Phoenix snobbery so much as people in PHX don't really think about Tucson all that much and I don't see that type of provoking coming from Phoenicians. Tucsonans as a whole are pretty friendly amongst each other. However, anyone who's lived in both places knows that NIMBYism prevails there and that drives most of their own snobbery towards PHX since many constantly complain how they don't want Tucson to turn into "sprawly PHX" - and yet they drive up to PHX to party, shop, attend concerts, sporting events, etc. and use Sky Harbor. The ASU/UA rivalry exists, but it's more prevalent in Tucson IMO because the metro is smaller, has limited industry and is driven primarily by UA, Raytheon, David Monthan AFB, and liberal politics - oh and the gem show.

Old 03-05-2022, 01:16 PM

282 posts, read 216,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Trust me, they are. I used to live in Tucson and I used to be one of those people talking smack online about Phoenix. Phoenix residents for the most part do not even think about Tucson just like they don't really think about ABQ, but Tucsonans do get riled up about Phoenix, yet drive up to spend weekends here.
You thought about Albuquerque enough to bring it up here out of the blue for some reason. lol

The OP's obsession with asking about rudeness, politeness, friendliness, etc. among and including a certain set of cities for years on this forum is really quite bizarre.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:55 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque 101 View Post
You thought about Albuquerque enough to bring it up here out of the blue for some reason. lol

The OP's obsession with asking about rudeness, politeness, friendliness, etc. among and including a certain set of cities for years on this forum is really quite bizarre.
I still haven't figured out or gotten an answer why Allentown is on this list. It simply doesn't seem to me to fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City