Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 01:14 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Wait how would Austin rank above Houston unless your into outdoorsy recreation, tech, film and live music? I can see how certain people would prefer Austin over Houston but Houston is the more well rounded city period. And when you look at the metrics, how can Austin beat Houston in Product, People, Prosperity and Programming.

Houston is more diverse, has more cultural institutions, has professional sports, more Fortune 500 companies, much more diversity and representation in the city's image,

Honestly in my opinion Austin is too high. I don't think it should be over Denver and Philly.
Because Elon Musk moved there. That’s why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 01:18 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Top 5 never changes, just the order varies from list to list. But how do San Diego and Las Vegas jump cities liked Boston, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta if criteria like Fortune 500 companies are being considered?
Sunny days puts in work for Las Vegas and San Diego

Old 06-23-2022, 01:19 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Jokes aside, I think the correct term for this list is “greater” not best. “Better” is a subjective term. To many, Austin is the best city in Texas. But objectively, it’s not the greatest city in the state. Greater is a more along what the OP’s list describes.

Old 06-23-2022, 01:35 PM

1,204 posts, read 792,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Austin is in a lower Tier than Houston and DFW in a ton of areas. It still has a whole lot of growing up to do.
It is strong in its tier but that doesn't put it at or above the heavier hitters in its state.

Houston will not just wipe the floor with Austin on the number of restaurants, it will also crush on terms of variety of offerings due to how much more diverse Houston is.

Austin racial diversity is improving, but it doesn't hold a candle to Houston. Just looking at Black, White, Asian... didn't tell you anything in terms of what that translate to restaurants.

You can say Austin has a lot of Hispanics but there is no genre of food called Hispanics food or black food. An ethnically diverse city will have more variety because whereas Austin may score high in Mexican numbers, it didn't have the Cuban, Honduran, Puerto Rican, Guatemalan... numbers that Houston has and so will not show out as well as Houston.

In every racial category Houston will beat Austin (or just about anywhere in the south) in terms of variety of food options.

You mention IAH, Houston's size is not the only thing that blows Austin's airports away. IAH outperforms far busier airports in terms of carriers again because of the diversity.

Austin isn't as overrated as it was in the 90s, but to question why Houston is ranked over it is just highly overrating Austin when doing an across the board comparison.
Points taken...it's definitely true that I didn't put too much thought into diversity metrics.

As long as Houston is above Dallas I'm happy otherwise .

Old 06-23-2022, 01:37 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Provo is the smallest metro of the bunch, and outranks SLC. Interesting.

Old 06-23-2022, 01:51 PM

40 posts, read 27,248 times
What a silly list.

Old 06-23-2022, 01:53 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
The problem with the term "Best City" is that its too subjective. There is no firm way to mathematically apply something that is subjective.

Old 06-23-2022, 01:57 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Points taken...it's definitely true that I didn't put too much thought into diversity metrics.

As long as Houston is above Dallas I'm happy otherwise .
Lol. They go toe to toe in most things.
DFW is one of the healthier metros currently.
But I handicap DFW because I think it is what is mainly because of location and not any other special character.

The reasons why I am so hard on regional kings is because they gain strength not from inward characters but more so on being the biggest thing in an area.

This is why in my rankings I rank Philly above DFW. Take Philly out from the competition in the Northeast and Place it where OKC is and let's see how important DFW airport remains, or if the metro still maintains the massive growth.

Same thing with Atlanta. I give it props for certain aspects such as the CDC, but it too is more of a regional hub. Wouldn't be much different from Birmingham or Charlotte if it wasn't for logistics.

I do not want to diminished the importance of regional hubs, they are the next tier in my opinion, but the cities that dominate in certain areas are scored higher in my book.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:01 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
In this thread:

A list that makes no sense.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:14 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
They want you to give an e-mail to download the full report. Just say No to clickbait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City