Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Food City
Houston 48 50.00%
San Francisco 48 50.00%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 11:23 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I eat very very very well in both.
Oh yeah?

Well I will see your Very Very Very well and raise you:

I eat Very Very Very Very well in both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 11:25 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Oh yeah?

Well I will see your Very Very Very well and raise you:

I eat Very Very Very Very well in both
that's too expensive for me, I fold. LOL

Old 10-20-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Interesting.

I've never been to Houston, but one of things I'd be expecting should I ever go is that Houston has better Asian food.

I'm wondering what criteria is being used to declare San Francisco the winner here....because they have a famous Chinatown?
Houston does have excellent Asian food in my experience by the way.

Old 10-20-2022, 11:27 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
SF city limits are tiny, Houston is huge, so if that is what we are counting, then Houston. If it is Houston vs the Bay Area, then the Bay Area wins everything except BBQ, Creole and Cajun.
Did some research, and there are apparently only a little more than twice the number of restaurants in Houston's 640 square miles than in S.F.s' 46 square miles-so even on a city vs. city per capita basis, its still a contest.

If you distill it down to Asian restaurants, it looks like they may be close to even on a city vs city scale.

Old 10-20-2022, 11:41 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Did some research, and there are apparently only a little more than twice the number of restaurants in Houston's 640 square miles than in S.F.s' 46 square miles-so even on a city vs. city per capita basis, its still a contest.

If you distill it down to Asian restaurants, it looks like they may be close to even on a city vs city scale.
The Bay Area has great Asian restaurants but so does Houston. What can you get in the Bay Area that you can’t get in Houston, and vice versa. That’s how I would be looking at this.

Beautiful weather and scenic views don’t count!

Old 10-20-2022, 12:17 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
$30 for a Banh Mi?! That’s outrageous, I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than $15.

I haven’t dined in either city, though Houston seems more my speed.
That part was just a joke lol. I haven't gotten Vietnamese in SF proper yet, I think the only place I've been to in the metro was in Pacifica (which was pretty reasonable, $10 pho. Didn't check if they had banh mi)

Old 10-20-2022, 12:32 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
The Bay Area has great Asian restaurants but so does Houston. What can you get in the Bay Area that you can’t get in Houston, and vice versa. That’s how I would be looking at this.

I think that's a fair way to put it. Houston is the "hot" food city, while SF has long been known as a foodie capital of America.

An important food group for myself is Italian and I have a feeling you can get better BBQ/Mexican/Viet food in SF than you can get good quality abundant Italian food in Houston. A lot of the south gets real confused on what is and isn't good Italian food.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:33 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
Houston wins Mexican food too.
You mean Tex-Mex.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Well, off the top of my head, farm-to-table is a bit more visible in the Bay Area than in Houston. You might want to try some of those places next time youre here.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:48 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:

There are much fewer Cantonese and traditional Chinatown type places in Houston. I'm talking about bakeries that serve egg tarts and places that hang ducks on windows. The Dim Sum scene is Houston is also much weaker. You also cannot get Taiwanese street food and Burmese Tea Salad in Houston.
Both authentic Cantonese and Taiwanese cuisine are hanging by a thread in Houston and might disappear altogether in a few years. They are still going strong in the Bay Area and will likely continue to do so.
Houston's Filipino food scene used to be extremely poor but might've improve somewhat, however there's no way it's close to what's available in the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City