Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 07:23 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Which I don't think is all that different than most places. Retail is in flux still in the US. Many cities have pivoted to converting old office space to new residential development, this was happening before COVID, but the pandemic has really accelerated the process:

Adaptive Reuse Apartments Up 25% from Pre-Pandemic Numbers, Led by Record Office-to-Apartment Conversions
I get it, but for Pittsburgh the consistently strong residential demand Downtown despite the shift to WFH is significant because we have a lot of "gloom and doom" types who can't fathom why anyone would ever want to live Downtown if they don't work Downtown. Obviously with lots of people moving into Downtown Pittsburgh whilst FAR fewer people are working Downtown today vs. early-2020, those gloom and doomers can be quieted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 01:36 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I get it, but for Pittsburgh the consistently strong residential demand Downtown despite the shift to WFH is significant because we have a lot of "gloom and doom" types who can't fathom why anyone would ever want to live Downtown if they don't work Downtown. Obviously with lots of people moving into Downtown Pittsburgh whilst FAR fewer people are working Downtown today vs. early-2020, those gloom and doomers can be quieted.

Yea, the Pittsburgh forum on CD is pretty representative of gloom and doom types.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:05 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Seattle seems recovering more this month. The tech layoffs are having the side effect of people showing back up to work for more face time. Uniqlo also opened up a store in the sketchy part of downtown where the old Macy's had closed years ago.

I agree with the other poster that the most recovered areas of downtown tend to be places with more residential apartments and less office buildings. Which makes sense.

Old 11-22-2022, 10:54 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Cincinnati has not fully recovered. Many businesses closed and there are still many vacancies downtown. I do not notice as many businesspeople at the offices. Very empty.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...-gone-for-good

Old 11-23-2022, 09:29 AM

10,063 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Cincinnati has not fully recovered. Many businesses closed and there are still many vacancies downtown. I do not notice as many businesspeople at the offices. Very empty.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...-gone-for-good
Ugh, that is disappointing, and truly sucks, for lack of a better word.

But, these downtowns in mid-sized cities got hit just about the hardest in terms of business closures, restaurant closures, remote working, and lack of pedestrian activity.

Even the very largest cities in the US are still suffering in their downtowns with lots of vacancies and weak pedestrian activity.

I think many city downtowns will take a good 3-5 years to recover, or more.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:04 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
I think at this point most downtowns are back or at least very close to pre-pandemic levels.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:55 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Ugh, that is disappointing, and truly sucks, for lack of a better word.

But, these downtowns in mid-sized cities got hit just about the hardest in terms of business closures, restaurant closures, remote working, and lack of pedestrian activity.

Even the very largest cities in the US are still suffering in their downtowns with lots of vacancies and weak pedestrian activity.

I think many city downtowns will take a good 3-5 years to recover, or more.
ISTR reading stories to the effect that a lot of the vacant storefronts in New York result from landlords keeping the rents too high.

The retail corridors here do have more vacancies than they did pre-pandemic, but they hardly resemble ghost towns. And pedestrian activity is above pre-pandemic levels, according to Center City District figures. New York being one of only two US cities with a larger "downtown" resident population than Philadelphia, I can't imagine that pedestrian activity there remains depressed.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:26 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Here is a report on downtown Austin with some actual numbers on this: https://www.statesman.com/story/busi...k/69682847007/

• # of businesses is down 18% from Feb 2020. 125 businesses closed but 71 new businesses opened.
  • Visitors are historically the largest audience of pedestrians and are up to 95% of pre-pandemic levels.
  • Employment-related visits to business are at 62% of pre-pandemic levels. (That closely matches the three days "hybrid" workweek that is common).
  • 45 fewer retail businesses (-18%)
  • Since Feb 2022, # of businesses has increased by 63. (That means that 21% of the pre-pandemic number has recovered in the last 8-9 months)

Overall, I suppose that's about what I'd expect. Tourism and nightlife doesn't seem any less than pre-pandemic. But obviously office workers and business travelers are down significantly and will be for many years. Residents are up, but that increase is slow as each new building only adds a few hundred people.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:15 AM

10,063 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
ISTR reading stories to the effect that a lot of the vacant storefronts in New York result from landlords keeping the rents too high.

The retail corridors here do have more vacancies than they did pre-pandemic, but they hardly resemble ghost towns. And pedestrian activity is above pre-pandemic levels, according to Center City District figures. New York being one of only two US cities with a larger "downtown" resident population than Philadelphia, I can't imagine that pedestrian activity there remains depressed.
The pedestrian activity in Manhattan seems very strong and similar to what it was pre-pandemic.

The only sign that there was a downturn are the vacant storefronts in many neighborhoods, in many bustling, busy neighborhoods like the West Village, Chelsea, Tribeca, parts of midtown, etc. But this is mainly due to outrageously high rents that need to be adjusted somewhat.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:25 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Just came back from Boston It was loaded with tourists, really really packed. Certainly more vacancies downtown though. Many stores I remember are not there.

Most of my downtime time was during the weekend so I saw virtually no "businessmen"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City