Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 09:52 PM

126 posts, read 72,490 times

Advertisements

In six months from now, I am looking to relocate to one of these cities mentioned above. Where I live now, people are very rude and the worst most aggressive drivers in the country reside here. With this said, which of these cities overall is the best? I am leaning towards San Jose, CA and The Bay Area in general. These other cities are choices in case I could not find work in The Bay Area.

What I am asking is, which of these cities ranks in:

Friendliness, Kindness, and less rudeness with less rude people per capita
Entertainment
Weather
More polite drivers with little to no road rage with less aggressive drivers
Less wet and less rain
Great job market for somebody looking to work in the social work field
Amazing state of the art public transportation
Less stress and less chaotic
Better airports with cheaper flights
Ease of making friends and getting to know your neighbors with a high sense of community
Being able to strike up a conversation without being ignored

What I am looking for is a city with really friendly and nice people and less road rage. Where I live now, I haven't been able to make any friends and there is absolutely no sense of community. There is also no culture and people are rude and hateful as well as indifferent.

Please advise me. I am leaning more towards The Bay Area primarily because people seem very nice and has what I am looking for. I would live in one of the outskirt towns or in a remote town that is at least 40 miles from the closest BART station. But if it doesn't work out, which of these cities do you all recommend?

San Jose, CA vs. San Diego, CA vs. Seattle, WA, vs. Las Vegas, NV, vs. Dallas, TX, vs. Houston, TX

Old 02-03-2023, 08:27 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,433,468 times
Friendliness, Kindness, and less rudeness with less rude people per capita = This is subjective, every city has rude people
Entertainment = Vegas, Dallas, and Houston have an edge here
Weather = San Jose
More polite drivers with little to no road rage with less aggressive drivers = Once again this is subjective, every city has bad drivers, especially city centers and large metros, all of the cities you listed are part of large metros
Less wet and less rain = San Jose
Great job market for somebody looking to work in the social work field = Dallas or Houston
Amazing state of the art public transportation = None of these cities have great public transit unfortunately
Less stress and less chaotic = Once again this is subjective
Better airports with cheaper flights = Dallas or Houston, both are major international hubs
Ease of making friends and getting to know your neighbors with a high sense of community = Once again subjective, but I would lean towards Dallas and Houston being a bit friendlier
Being able to strike up a conversation without being ignored = Once again subjective, but from my experience Texans are bit more open to casual conversation compared to the metros you listed on the west coast

Last edited by MrKnight; 02-03-2023 at 09:10 AM..

Old 02-03-2023, 08:38 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,425,374 times
None of these cities fit your criteria well. These are all cities with high number of transplants, terrible traffic (which leads to road rage), and high stress.

Making friends might be easier in Texas cities, but the road rage is definitely worse.

And Seattle rains.

Old 02-03-2023, 10:41 AM

1,204 posts, read 797,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janoritish View Post
What I am looking for is a city with really friendly and nice people and less road rage. Where I live now, I haven't been able to make any friends and there is absolutely no sense of community. There is also no culture and people are rude and hateful as well as indifferent.
Huh? You're going to have people like that everywhere...

And it highly depends on which part of, let say, Houston or Dallas or whatever you live - most places doesn't exactly have "sense of community" either.

Anyway...

Friendliness, Kindness, and less rudeness with less rude people per capita - There is zero metric for this...any big cities are going to have rude people and friendly people. Ok, the stereotype is that East Coast major cities especially places like NYC people tend to be more rude...but maybe it's your personality?
Entertainment - Las Vegas by miles.
Weather - San Diego, follow by San Jose. California weather is what keeps people there
More polite drivers with little to no road rage with less aggressive drivers - while drivers in Texas used to be less aggressive, that's not the case anymore. So none?
Less wet and less rain - Vegas...with the exception of random rain (that even cause flood) here and there does it ever rain in Vegas? In fact Vegas is VERY dry.
Great job market for somebody looking to work in the social work field - Can't help you here
Amazing state of the art public transportation - Well, SD, San Jose (with spillover transit from SF) along with Seattle is probably the best, follow by Dallas (DART is ok...). None of them I would consider "state of the art".
Less stress and less chaotic - This HIGHLY depends on where you live even within a city/metro.
Better airports with cheaper flights - Depends on where you want to go? Domestic? International? San Jose has lots of flights to Asia for example via SF (it's the same catchment area...people acts like as if people from San Jose can only use San Jose Airport) and lots of flights to western US. Seattle also has good flight option to Asia and being a hub has flights to everywhere (not sure how "cheap" they are). Vegas has less international flights but you can go anywhere domestic just b/c there are so many flights carrying people TO Vegas. Meanwhile Dallas (in DFW) has the busiest airport out of all the city/metro you list, and like Houston is hub to a major carrier (AA in DFW, UA in IAH) and Southwest in the "secondary" airport (No, Southwest is not cheap...)
Ease of making friends and getting to know your neighbors with a high sense of community - This is VERY subjective...and highly depends on what neighborhood you live in anyway.
Being able to strike up a conversation without being ignored - Probably the Texas metro...but TBH it's highly subjective

Old 02-03-2023, 11:07 AM

12,849 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Friendliness, Kindness, and less rudeness with less rude people per capita---Texans are the kindest, Seattle the quietest.
Entertainment-depends on what you like.
Weather - subjective
More polite drivers with little to no road rage with less aggressive drivers- Seattle
Less wet and less rain- Vegas
Great job market for somebody looking to work in the social work field- not sure.
Amazing state of the art public transportation--none but Seattle is the best
Less stress and less chaotic - San Diego is a stress reliever
Better airports with cheaper flights- Dallas or Vegas?
Ease of making friends and getting to know your neighbors with a high sense of community-Dallas or Houston
Being able to strike up a conversation without being ignored-Dallas or Houston

Old 02-03-2023, 11:45 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:

Please advise me. I am leaning more towards The Bay Area primarily because people seem very nice and has what I am looking for. I would live in one of the outskirt towns or in a remote town that is at least 40 miles from the closest BART station. But if it doesn't work out, which of these cities do you all recommend?
Where abouts exactly? Traffic from that far out in any direction is horrendous.

Given your field is social work, I would also pick the Bay Area because of the sheer volume of programs and agencies here, but 40 miles from BART is like not the bay area lol

Old 02-03-2023, 12:19 PM

11,824 posts, read 8,027,753 times
Friendliness, Kindness, and less rudeness with less rude people per capita -- Probably San Diego, with Dallas and Houston following shortly behind.
Entertainment -- Subjective -- Probably Las Vegas
Weather -- San Diego easily
More polite drivers with little to no road rage with less aggressive drivers -- Seattle WA or San Diego CA
Less wet and less rain - Las Vegas
Great job market for somebody looking to work in the social work field - No idea, probably none of these. MAYBE Seattle WA - but not sure.
Amazing state of the art public transportation - lol.. ..Seattle WA is as close as you're going to get out of this list, but even that pales to 'state of the art'
Less stress and less chaotic -- San Diego CA
Better airports with cheaper flights -- Either DFW or HOU
Ease of making friends and getting to know your neighbors with a high sense of community -- DFW or HOU
Being able to strike up a conversation without being ignored -- DFW or HOU

Old 02-03-2023, 12:25 PM

1,320 posts, read 869,899 times
If you don’t like rain then Seattle should not be considered.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:17 PM

126 posts, read 72,490 times
Out of all of these, I am heavily considering The Bay Area. No humidity, great weather, and I'm sure people are very nice and kind to each other.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:41 PM

14,322 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Out of all of these, I am heavily considering The Bay Area. No humidity, great weather, and I'm sure people are very nice and kind to each other.
Um...what makes you so sure? And I would not say the Bay Area is not humid. It's not hot and humid, but it's pretty darn humid much of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City